Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too (1.4)

Rate, review & discuss the episodes from the first season

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
2%
9.0 (Excellent)
13%
8.5 (Very Good)
11%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
21%
7.5 (Decent)
23%
7.0 (Average at Best)
11%
6.5 (Not So Good)
8%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
7%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 129

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

Re: Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too (1.4)

#121 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I was always annoyed that Higgins threw away the fake Gauguin. It was a fake good enough to fool Higgins (an art expert - what isn't he expert at?), except by close comparison. It wasn't even Higgins' property to throw away. It either belonged to Robin Masters, who was shipped the fake instead of the original - or the girl who made the fake. (original having been returned)

Higgins would certainly have to keep the fake as evidence if he ever had to contact police about it. Even if he chose not to ever contact the police, he could have displayed the fake instead of the original so any thieves breaking into the estate to steal the painting would get the fake, while the original is safely stored. (he could alternately sell the fake as an original to some poor unsuspecting sap for 2 million Marks, but we know Higgie Baby has too much honour to do that)

If I ever get to Hawaii, I'm going to annoy some poor flower seller with, "No, it's not macho enough! You got any macho leis? Show me some macho leis!"

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#122 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Another thing - how the hell could Magnum not notice a huge black car pull a squealing u-turn right behind him to tail him? Yes, he was distracted, arguing with Higgins, but anybody would have looked when they heard that. They even did the u-turn on the end of the estate driveway! Magnum really blew it there.

Kee
Lieutenant

Re:

#123 Post by Kee »

J.J. Walters wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:19 pm The episode does have a couple of highlights, however. Katherine Cannon is always fun to watch (if you know what I mean). We get to see a very young Lauri Hendler, who will later have a successful Hollywood career. There are some cool shots of the estate's rarely seen wine cellar, and the Waikiki War Memorial Natatorium. And who could forget that great line the one little girl says, "You shouldn't be punished for your passion".
I just watched this yesterday because I was remembering that hot school teacher.

J.J. Walters wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:19 pmStill, a pretty weak episode IMHO. But a weak MPI episode is better than 90% of the stuff out there, right! ;)
Agreed 100%

chitoryu12
Ensign

#124 Post by chitoryu12 »

I really, really don't like this one. Along with the girls' acting being grating, the plot gets far too convoluted and silly. It says something when Magnum outright explains the story to a character and doesn't get believed because it just sounds too stupid.

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#125 Post by 80s Big Hair »

chitoryu12 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:38 pm I really, really don't like this one. Along with the girls' acting being grating, the plot gets far too convoluted and silly. It says something when Magnum outright explains the story to a character and doesn't get believed because it just sounds too stupid.
Yes, this had a ridiculous plot. I tend to dislike any episode that prominently features children though. Call me an ageist. I do not care and will continue disliking those episodes. The exception to this are the episodes that involve Lily, but those also have good plots.

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#126 Post by Italian Ice »

One thing I don't get: Does anybody know what "Saigon Suzy" is?
I didn't get it when TC and Magnum mentioned it. It wasn't explained and I could find nothing on it.
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#127 Post by Pahonu »

Italian Ice wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:00 am One thing I don't get: Does anybody know what "Saigon Suzy" is?
I didn't get it when TC and Magnum mentioned it. It wasn't explained and I could find nothing on it.
I believe it’s referring to a prostitute.

Hanoi Hannah, on the other hand, was a real woman who broadcast North Vietnamese propaganda in English on the radio during the war. Its content was from the NVA and directed at US troops, not unlike Axis Sally during WWII.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#128 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:38 pm
Italian Ice wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:00 am One thing I don't get: Does anybody know what "Saigon Suzy" is?
Hanoi Hannah, on the other hand, was a real woman who broadcast North Vietnamese propaganda in English on the radio during the war. Its content was from the NVA and directed at US troops, not unlike Axis Sally during WWII.
Pahonu,
I always assumed Saigon Suzy's referred to a brothel where the boys had a misadventure, the details of which shall never be uttered again, the mere mention of Saigon Suzys is enough.
In many flicks of the 30's or 40's they could only mention such joints in the same sideways manner, giving them colorful names so that the adult audience would be clued in but not the kids.
Joyce Jameson played such a character on a funny McHales Navy episode, one "Kalani Kate", in Orange Blossoms for McHale(1963).
Being fans of the movies of their youth, the Magnum writers no doubt lifted this device from flicks like Shanghai Express(1932) where Marlene Dietrich played Shanghai Lilly, who proclaims
"It took more than one man to change my name to Shanghai Lilly".

Pahonu

#129 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:53 am
Pahonu,
I always assumed Saigon Suzy's referred to a brothel where the boys had a misadventure, the details of which shall never be uttered again, the mere mention of Saigon Suzys is enough.
In many flicks of the 30's or 40's they could only mention such joints in the same sideways manner, giving them colorful names so that the adult audience would be clued in but not the kids.
Joyce Jameson played such a character on a funny McHales Navy episode, one "Kalani Kate", in Orange Blossoms for McHale(1963).
Being fans of the movies of their youth, the Magnum writers no doubt lifted this device from flicks like Shanghai Express(1932) where Marlene Dietrich played Shanghai Lilly, who proclaims
I would agree. Does TC say Saigon Suzy’s or the singular Suzy. I don’t recall, but Suzy’s would clearly be referring to a brothel. Either way, it’s a prostitution reference. That’s interesting information on the use of such terms in the past. Thanks!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#130 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:00 pm
Pahonu,
I would agree. Does TC say Saigon Suzy’s or the singular Suzy. I don’t recall, but Suzy’s would clearly be referring to a brothel. Either way, it’s a prostitution reference. That’s interesting information on the use of such terms in the past. Thanks!
Pahonu,
I recall TC saying "Saigon Suzy's", but I haven't seen this episode for at least 4 years. I have put Magnum on hiatus because of the Law of Diminishing Returns, there is a point where one becomes
so familiar with the material the enjoyment is ruined, there is no getting lost in the plot, it's just a bunch of lines that I can say before the actor. So after 7 years I am back watching the great
"Route 66", which Ed Asner maintained was the best written series of all time, when he was interviewed in Playboy. Of course he appeared in it 2 or 3 times and later on in The Satan Bug with
Route 66 star George Maharis. Satan Bug is a nifty flick about terrorists threatening to unleash a plague, which unfortunately is relatable during these days.
Whoa, went off on a tangent here.
I actually like this Magnum episode, I accept it as fluff. I thought the kids were adorable and every utterance of "Huggins" cracked me up. The bad guy was one of the most repulsive characters
on the series, for me, he didn't fit with the lighthearted tone established with the girls, the script obviously needed more polishing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All Through The Night (1942)
Barney(Frank McHugh): "Say chief can't I get away just long enough to give my girl a quick hello?"
Gloves(Humphrey Bogart): "Nah, stick around will ya."
Starchy(Jackie Gleason): "What are you so nervous for? She'll keep."
Barney: "That's what you think. I can't take a chance. The fleets in and she's defense minded."

Pahonu

#131 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:27 am
Pahonu wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:00 pm
Pahonu,
Pahonu,
I recall TC saying "Saigon Suzy's", but I haven't seen this episode for at least 4 years. I have put Magnum on hiatus because of the Law of Diminishing Returns, there is a point where one becomes
so familiar with the material the enjoyment is ruined, there is no getting lost in the plot, it's just a bunch of lines that I can say before the actor. So after 7 years I am back watching the great
"Route 66", which Ed Asner maintained was the best written series of all time, when he was interviewed in Playboy. Of course he appeared in it 2 or 3 times and later on in The Satan Bug with
Route 66 star George Maharis. Satan Bug is a nifty flick about terrorists threatening to unleash a plague, which unfortunately is relatable during these days.
Whoa, went off on a tangent here.
I actually like this Magnum episode, I accept it as fluff. I thought the kids were adorable and every utterance of "Huggins" cracked me up. The bad guy was one of the most repulsive characters
on the series, for me, he didn't fit with the lighthearted tone established with the girls, the script obviously needed more polishing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All Through The Night (1942)
Barney(Frank McHugh): "Say chief can't I get away just long enough to give my girl a quick hello?"
Gloves(Humphrey Bogart): "Nah, stick around will ya."
Starchy(Jackie Gleason): "What are you so nervous for? She'll keep."
Barney: "That's what you think. I can't take a chance. The fleets in and she's defense minded."
I haven’t seen it in a few years myself, but Saigon Suzy’s clearly implies a brothel, but Suzy may have been the madam, no?

I understand the law of diminishing returns. I only watch a few episodes if I catch them being broadcast. The same is true for The Rockford Files, my favorite series. I know I’ve mentioned Harry-O here before. It only ran two seasons and is never rerun, so I pull it out and watch the whole series every couple of years. I’ve never watched Route 66 before and generally haven’t enjoyed 50’s and early 60’s dramatic series including Garner’s Maverick and Janssen’s The Fugitive. I can’t say why exactly, because I enjoy the comedies of the era.

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#132 Post by 80s Big Hair »

Saigon Sally was mentioned in "Did you see the Sunrise?" as well. After TC and Nuzo met TC is driving them in the van. Nuzo says something like, "Remember that time I heard that Saigon Sally had a case of bubblegum and you were willing to pick it up and they shot up the Cobra (attack helicopter)?"

BlueSky
Ensign

#133 Post by BlueSky »

Does anyone know what the piece of music is that is played in this episode when they show Higgins at the estate around the Christmas tree, before Magnum and the little girls arrive? It is instrumental, classical. Thank you.

Pahonu

#134 Post by Pahonu »

BlueSky wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:33 pm Does anyone know what the piece of music is that is played in this episode when they show Higgins at the estate around the Christmas tree, before Magnum and the little girls arrive? It is instrumental, classical. Thank you.
If you are referring to the opening scene, then I believe it is from the ballet Swan Lake by Tchaikovsky.

BlueSky
Ensign

#135 Post by BlueSky »

Thanks for the prompt reply. I noticed it's mentioned in #6 in the Notes section of the episode page, but it says that music takes place in the opening scene, and as I recall the one I'm thinking of seemed to be later on in the show, however I'm not 100% positive about it so I'll have to check next time I see it. It could be I'm remembering wrong.
Thanks again.