Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too (1.4)

Rate, review & discuss the episodes from the first season

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
2%
9.0 (Excellent)
13%
8.5 (Very Good)
11%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
21%
7.5 (Decent)
23%
7.0 (Average at Best)
11%
6.5 (Not So Good)
8%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
7%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 129

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re: Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too (1.4)

#106 Post by ENSHealy »

K Hale wrote:It's been a while since I watched this one, but wasn't Rick faking a Chinese accent because he called on the red phone? I wonder why he didn't just call on the regular line.
If he had called on the regular line, Higgins would not have gotten had the opportunity to say "Mr. Masters's private number is not to be given out to tradesmen."
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#107 Post by ENSHealy »

1.4 THANK HEAVEN FOR LITTLE GIRLS AND BIG ONES TOO
Hawaiian shirts: 1 classic red jungle bird
Island Hopper shirts: 0
Body Count: 0
Shirtless: 0
Little Voice: 0
I know what you’re thinking: 0
When I write HTBAWCPI: 0
Investigator corrections: 0
Magnum injuries: 1 bruise to the upper right cheek from fight at “Saigon Suzies”.
Higgins musings: 0
4th wall breaks: 2 Magnum, TC
Negotiations: 2 - the wine cellar in exchange for letting the girls stay overnight; “new rules” in exchange for letting Magnum use the real Gaugin to save the girls.
Famous guest stars: 0
Magnumometer: 6

We learn that the estate, at least in the Magnuverse, has no bathrooms on the 2nd floor. Higgins tells the girls (while standing in the first floor living room) "you will be restricted to the second floor guest quarters. Unless, of course, you need to use the lavatory facilities. Those are located at the end of the hall." However, we know from Pahonu and Rembrandt's Girl that IRL, the estate has 3 bathrooms on the 2nd floor.

There are extended and alternative shots in the credits that did not appear in the episode. For example, in the credits there is a different shot of the post-fight scene at Saigon Suzies (compare 16:33-16:41 with 48:45-48:49), there is a different version of Rick getting up from his semi-reclining position in the airport (compare 46:32-46:36 with 49:03-49:07), there is a different shot of TC arguing with the security guard about having to go back through the metal detector (compare 46:21-46:25 with 49:09-49:16) and there is a different version of the "Rick can't figure out his camera" shot (compare 46:39-47:06 with 49:19-49:25 and especially note the film hanging out of the camera in the latter shot).

Also, as I believe someone has already mentioned, in the credits, TC's shirt is not ripped after coming out of Saigon Suzie's after having been shown ripped in the same scene during the episode (Thomas's shirt is ripped in both). Along the same lines, Thomas's shirt is shown ripped coming out of Saigon Suzies (see 16:00-16:05 and 17:04-18:14) but then shown not ripped (21:19-22:12).

The episode guide says that in the airport scene at the end, Rick references "James Garner" pitching for Polaroid, and the subtitles also say "Garner" but if you listen closely, I believe he actually says "James Gardner" to rub a little salt into the compliment.

One thing bothering me about the "art collector." Presumably he has chased Ms. Booton to Hawaii because he has either grown tired of her delays in returning the original painting to him, or he believes she has decided not to give it back to him. Either way, he chases her because he believes she has the original painting. He's willing to travel to Hawaii, commit kidnapping and possibly murder in order to get that painting back. Why does everyone believe that when he "finds out what's really in there" that he won't make another attempt at retrieving the painting? Why would he just give up? We know he can't have been given the fake painting, because Higgins threw it away. So there must be something else in the tube. (Perhaps a macho lei?) But in any event, I don't see him just accepting that he's been outwitted.

When Rick is seen at the Natatorium, I believe we see the KKC patch for the first time. He has it on his swim trunks. It is the same patch seen on Higgins jacket in 1.11 Curse of the KKC.
ImageImage

In the episode guide, a flub is listed for Rick not having retrieved his camera from the x-ray machine before being seen on the other side of security with the camera on his shoulder. I don't think this is a flub. Rick turns from away the kidnapper and puts the camera on the conveyor belt. When he does this, the kidnapper rushes past him through the metal detector. Then we see a shot of the kidnapper retrieving the tube from the end of the conveyor belt, but we don't see the whole conveyor belt, we only see the end of it, with a briefcase, the tube, and a couple packages or pieces of luggage on on it. There is plenty of time during this shot (5-6 seconds while the kidnapper retrieves the briefcase and tube) for Rick to have gone through the metal detector and retrieved his camera from the end of the conveyor belt closest to the exit of the x-ray machine, the part on the left that we can't see in the shot. I believe Rick retrieves his camera, it just happens out of the shot.

CRUCIAL CONVERSATIONS

Magnum: Higgins, the wine cellar is one of the few places left on the estate, besides the bathroom, that I can go without fear of my life.
Higgins: An oversight on my part, now rectified by my upgraded level of security.
Magnum: Upgraded level of security to keep me out of the wine cellar?
Higgins: Well, there is Mr. Masters's latest acquisition.
Magnum: What? The Christmas tree? [pause as Magnum sees the new painting] Higgins, that's a Gauguin.
Higgins: Yes. Perhaps there's hope for you after all.

Magnum: Higgins, we really do need that fake Gauguin. This is an emergency. Somebody has kidnapped the girls.
Higgins: He has my wholehearted sympathy.
Magnum: This isn't funny. They're in danger, now just give me the fake.
Higgins: I threw it away.
Magnum: Oh, come on! You're just trying to buy time to think up some sort of a deal. What's it going to be this time? The car? My bed? My firstborn male child? What?

Higgins: Once this is over, there's going to be a whole new set of rules at the estate.
Magnum: Higgins--
Linda: Can't you drive any faster?
Higgins: You can no longer come and go as you please.
Magnum: Higgins—
Higgins: No longer be allowed in the main house. You'll no longer use any of the facilities. No more of your guests will be allowed on the premises. You cannot use the phone.

AIRPORT/HOSPITAL PAGES

[ Woman On P.A.] Passengers for Pan Pacific Flight 2 1 0...from Honolulu to San Francisco now boarding at Gate 11.
[ Woman On P.A.] Captain Walt Connors, please pick up the white courtesy telephone. Captain Walt Connors, please pick up
the white courtesy telephone.
[ Woman On P.A.] Transglobal Flight 50 is now arriving at Gate Six. Transglobal Flight 50 is now arriving at Gate Six.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#108 Post by K Hale »

ENSHealy wrote:
We learn that the estate, at least in the Magnuverse, has no bathrooms on the 2nd floor. Higgins tells the girls (while standing in the first floor living room) "you will be restricted to the second floor guest quarters. Unless, of course, you need to use the lavatory facilities. Those are located at the end of the hall." However, we know from Pahonu and Rembrandt's Girl that IRL, the estate has 3 bathrooms on the 2nd floor.
I took that to mean he was telling them to stay in the bedroom unless they had to use the bathroom, which is at the end of the hall. I.e. the same hall where their bedroom is, not on a different floor.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#109 Post by K Hale »

Danny Lin wrote:What I really found striking is the "open shirt" point:
Nearly everyone in this episode (even including Higgins in one sequence!!) is shown with a largely or totally unbuttoned shirt.
This is indeed the Chest Episode. I had not noticed that even Higgins was unbuttoned until I read this, but he was:

Scene when girls arrive at the estate, his shirt is buttoned on the 2nd button:

Scene when girls start messing with stuff in the study, his shirt is back in its usual 1st button state, like every other episode ever:
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#110 Post by K Hale »

J.J. Walters wrote:
Doc Ibold wrote:Yes, the plot is weak, yes the villian sweats like a fiend, and yes, TC ends up looking for Macho Leis. HOWEVER, due to the two above instances, I will put this on my soapbox of subpar episodes that I will defend to any extreme (along with "One More Summer" and "Birdman of Budapest")
LOL! You rock Doc! Love the Magnum passion, my friend. And, you shouldn't be punished for your passion! LOL! :)

I gotta tell ya Doc, from this point on, whenever I see "Thank Heaven", "One More Summer", or "Birdman of Budapest", I will think of you defending them to the extreme. ;)

And o' man, I totally forgot about that Higgins scene! The image of Higgins, both arms straight down, yelling, "OUTRAGEOUS!" is killin' me right now! Too funny.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

TBOU
Lieutenant

#111 Post by TBOU »

I haven't watched this episode in a few years, but I had some down time recently with a cold. I think it's enjoyable, but doesn't stand up to strong thinking that a group of little girls could fool their way in. But, Magnum is still sort of novice detective and his friends don't take his work seriously yet. That seems to be a theme in the first few episodes of Season 1.

I did find this nice period piece at the end. It's a real article he's reading. It's also from probably right about the same time they filmed the episode.

Sheler, J. L. "Foreign auto makers strike back at Detroit." U.S. News & World Report , November 10 1980, Vol. 89, p75

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#112 Post by K Hale »

TBOU wrote:I haven't watched this episode in a few years, but I had some down time recently with a cold. I think it's enjoyable, but doesn't stand up to strong thinking that a group of little girls could fool their way in.
No, this one is definitely not meant to be taken seriously! Someone upthread described it as a cult classic. :lol:
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#113 Post by T.Q. »

K Hale wrote:
TBOU wrote:I haven't watched this episode in a few years, but I had some down time recently with a cold. I think it's enjoyable, but doesn't stand up to strong thinking that a group of little girls could fool their way in.
No, this one is definitely not meant to be taken seriously! Someone upthread described it as a cult classic. :lol:
“T.C., wanna go to dinner?”

Not my favourite episode but, even so, interactions between Magnum, Rick, T.C. and “Huggins” saves the day here.

Love the switch at the airport scene.

As a side note, every time I rewatch Magnum P.I. my love for T.C. grows... Every time.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#114 Post by Chris109 »

T.Q. wrote:my love for T.C. grows... Every time.
Somebody gonna take pictures of your pants now?

Slim (Bacall): Give her my love.
Morgan (Bogart): [about her slinky dress] I'd give her my own if she had that on.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#115 Post by T.Q. »

Chris109 wrote:
T.Q. wrote:my love for T.C. grows... Every time.
Somebody gonna take pictures of your pants now?

Slim (Bacall): Give her my love.
Morgan (Bogart): [about her slinky dress] I'd give her my own if she had that on.
You're so mean to me Chris.
Last edited by T.Q. on Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#116 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Limbo
Lieutenant

#117 Post by Limbo »

*Tapping his arm* "this is Saigon Suzy's man"..."no it isn't"....."oh yes it is"
*tapping his other arm* "Saigon Suzy's"
*tapping his shoulder* "Would you stop that!!!! Im trying to tell this man...* their eyes look around*….Saigon Suzy's?? "uh huh"

LMAO.

Best scene in the episode.
Very good Magnum-san, very good,but why do you care so much for his life?. I don't....I care for yours.

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#118 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Hello to everyone,

I had to say i didn't catch with 50%of that episode. The plot (i know, i am always focused on it...) is just rampling and the action scenes not really appealing (Rick driving in scuba gear ??? :lol: ). As always, the dialogues lines are good "especially "outrageous" ! one the locked balcony... :shock: )

A very good jazzy tune In the old Waikiki Natatorium (What a pity to see that this Vets Monument is almost a complete ruined place...).

Overall, a just under than average opus (we would say 'mediocre' in french)
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#119 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

(we would say 'mediocre' in french)
Lol! We say "mediocre" in English, too!😄. That's a good word for this episode, too. It has some good scenes, but the plot is lacking.

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#120 Post by Gorilla Mask »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:30 pm
(we would say 'mediocre' in french)
Lol! We say "mediocre" in English, too!😄. That's a good word for this episode, too. It has some good scenes, but the plot is lacking.
Yes, that is another French whim ! :lol: Actually, there are many 'false cognates' between both languages, so i'd prefer to stay cautious...

... but i am often mistaken... all my apologies for that ! :roll:
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."