Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too (1.4)

Rate, review & discuss the episodes from the first season

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
2%
9.0 (Excellent)
13%
8.5 (Very Good)
11%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
21%
7.5 (Decent)
23%
7.0 (Average at Best)
11%
6.5 (Not So Good)
8%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
7%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 129

MyGod!
Lieutenant Commander

#31 Post by MyGod! »

I concur with James comments (although not his feelings about the epiisode) that this episode is the first of many, non-traditional, lighter episodes that were done quite well at times on Magnum. I like how this one skated close to bufoonery, but the action and TM's seriousness once he realized he'd been fooled, kept it in balance. I loved the scene at the bar and boxing ring, and especially when TM decides to spin a yarn at the gangster's hosue and it turns out perfect. Hilarious and well-acted by Selleck.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#32 Post by J.J. Walters »

MyGod! wrote:I really like the "feel" of these earlier episodes better, a little seedier and a bit more sex appeal in general. The clothes are much better too(and funnier) IMO. By season 4 or 5, it seemed like all the female guest stars were shopping at the same terrible shoulder-pad ridden clothing store. I'll take 70's clothes over 80's any day.

Does anyone agree or disagree with my thought that the "feel" of the shows is different and better in the first few seasons? While I love TM's sensitivity, later seasons seemed to devolve into TM babysitting a bunch of annoying clients. I liek the more hard-eged approach here. In any case, hoorah for Magnum!
I tend to agree with you MyGod!. The earlier seasons did have quite a different feel from the later episodes, mainly from the reasons you already mentioned; The earlier episodes had a real late '70s vibe, whereas the later ones were all '80s. The earlier ones tended to be less polished and less serious, and yet also more gritty and comical at the same time. It's carefree "beach bum" Magnum vs. somewhat angry/serious Magnum. Of course, there are notable exceptions in each case ("Memories Are Forever", "The Last Page", "Did You See the Sunrise?", "Laura", "Innocence... A Broad", etc.), but I think in general it's true. The music was also noticeably different between the early seasons and the later ones. Outside of "Deja Vu" in "Missing in Action", we really didn't hear any contemporary songs in the show until those Bryan Adams and Pat Benatar stock cover songs in the background of "Ms. Jones" in Season 5, which of course eventually lead to the heavily featured three Genesis songs in Seasons 7 and 8. Mike Post & Pete Carpenter's scores also seemed to change in the later episodes; they were much more "80's-ish" in style.

But really, Magnum goes all over the map, in all seasons - from complex whodunit mysteries to comedic farces to gutwrenching drama to sublime character studies, and everything in between. It's one of the things that really makes Magnum stand out for me; it's not easily "pigeonholed" like most shows of the era.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#33 Post by Agatha »

I didn't realize how much I liked this episode until I was getting ready to vote and comparing it to the others. Yes, it's lighter than the first two but...as others have mentioned, the show did have a lighter side and this was the introduction to that. It continued the theme of the bond between the main characters and also the ingenuity that they use to "get the job" done. And also what intrinsically GOOD people they are! I mean...this scam wouldn't have had a chance if Thomas hadn't been so upset when he thought the girls had been abandoned by their teacher. Another strong but subtle theme that is one of the foundations for these characters.

It's fun to go back and watch the earlier shows...they are different because the characters haven't evolved yet. This one reminded me how much Higgins DIDN'T want Thomas on the estate in the early days.

And I think I see an earlier TC in this one. Thomas bought him a beer...which he NEVER does in later episodes. We KNOW that TC doesn't drink. He was pretty physical in this one, too. Holding Linda back when Thomas went to leave the painting...actually picking Higgins up and depositing him on the deck at the hotel. I think I read somewhere that Roger Mosley actively campaigned to keep TC from becoming type-cast as poor, black, drunk, muscle so TC evolved into the affluent, abstinent and gentle guy that we all know and love.

I, too, liked the great conversation at Mano's house where Thomas was trying to explain...with NO help from anyone! Again a seamless verbal interaction.

My favorite line is when Higgins says: "If you'd given him a decent lead, he'd have blown it higher than a Chinese firecracker!"

And I liked the music in this one. Swan Lake is pretty and relaxing and festive, somehow...and someone has already mentioned the campy version of 12 Days of Christmas at the end. Do my ears deceive me or is the music that's playing while TM and TC are down in "alligator on a leash" territory the same as in the bar where Salty meets Choi in China Doll?

Also...I think the kidnapper came in at the end entrance to the Natorium (sp) where the gate MUST have been open. It seems to me that Thomas climbed the gate in the middle...much closer to where he left the painting. The Natorium is on my list of places to visit when I go to Oahu. I wonder if you can actually swim there...???

But my biggest question about this episode is: HOW DID THOMAS GET ALL THOSE LITTLE GIRLS INTO THE FERRARI??

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#34 Post by rubber chicken »

Agatha wrote:The Natorium is on my list of places to visit when I go to Oahu. I wonder if you can actually swim there...???
Not anymore, much of it is in poor condition. But if you wait long enough they may have restored it. More info below:

Waikiki Natatorium War Memorial official site
HawaiiWeb.com
Wikipedia
worldwar1.com

edit: I just read that the natatorium actually closed in 1979! Before Magnum P.I. had even started. And the last recorded maintenance was 30 years before that, in 1949! Legendary surfer Duke Kahanamoku was the first to officially swim there, and it was the training site of at least a few olympians.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#35 Post by Agatha »

Very interesting, rubberchicken! And sad that it costs so much to maintain/restore historical sites.

Thanks for the links!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

A shorter review this time, as this is probably my least favourite story from the first season.

During the Christmas season, Magnum is hired by five young schoolgirls to find their missing teacher, but is unaware that it is part of a plot to steal a valuable painting recently purchased by Robin Masters. A mixed episode...

-----

I find this to be a mixed episode. It's certainly not bottom of the 'Magnum p.i.' barrel, but also not the best, and after the excellent 'China Doll' previously, it comes as something of an anti-climax.
Although the series had found its feet character-wise in 'China Doll', here it feels to still be finding its footing story-wise, and comes off as being a bit patchy.

Although the second hour-long episode broadcast, the story seems to come from a couple of episodes in, presumably bought forward for Christmas – it was originally broadcast in the U.S. on Christmas Day 1980.

The episode is in some respects my least favourite of the first season, although I have warmed to it slightly more in recent times. I like that it has a number of twists and turns, but it comes off feeling rather goofy and uneven.

Katherine Cannon is fair as the supposedly missing teacher, but the five young girls are rather grating to watch, and I can't help but feel that much more fun and humour could have been derived from Magnum (and "Huggins"!) running around after them and all the trouble they cause.

The conclusion, with duping the kidnapper out of the real painting without involving the Police, also feels a bit limp and not much of a climax to the story.

As well as beginning in the only occasionally seen Robin's Nest wine cellar, the episode also marks the first time we see the Audi (Robin 2), as well as Rick's red Nissan (Rick would be seen to drive several cars over the course of the series).

I only watch this episode very occasionally, and it isn't really one of my favourites. In terms of Christmas-themed episodes, the fourth season's 'Operation: Silent Night' is far more enjoyable.

-----

Other notes, bloopers, etc.

* As evidenced here, Rick takes most of Magnum’s calls for cases at the King Kamehameha Club. This would also be seen in a number of other first season episodes. Magnum would get his own answer-phone later in the show’s run.

* In one scene, Magnum can be seen to be wearing spectacles. (Unless I am much mistaken) this is the only time he is seen as such this end of the show’s run. He would start wearing spectacles on a more regular basis from the sixth season’s ‘The Hotel Dick’ onwards.

* Again unless I am much mistaken, when Magnum and T.C. are running away after being beaten up in the sport club, Magnum has to deactivate the Ferrari’s alarm – the only time after the Pilot that this alarm was used.

* As well as the first time we see Rick’s Nissan, this is the first time we see the Audi, Robin 2.
Last edited by Jay-Firestorm on Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Frodoleader »

Jay - I think it is going to be very nice to have you around here. Your comments are most insightfull and appreciated!

I may have stated this on another thread, but I like Rick's office from these earlier episodes better. Much lighter and more tropical.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Glad my thoughs and notes are appreciated :)

I liked Rick's early office too. I wish they'd kept it.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#39 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Doc Ibold wrote:James, while I will agree with you, this episode has two things that bring it it from a 4/10 to a 7/10 in my opinion

#1 with Higgins being called "Huggins" several times and how annoyed (I was going to use a different choice of words, but we have to keep it clean for the kids) he gets when the little girl calls him that.

#2 Higgins yelling "OUTRAGEOUS!" while stamping his feet and his hands dead at his sides when TC puts him on the balcony. This, to me, was the precursor to "OH....MY....GOD!"

Yes, the plot is weak, yes the villian sweats like a fiend, and yes, TC ends up looking for Macho Leis. HOWEVER, due to the two above instances, I will put this on my soapbox of subpar episodes that I will defend to any extreme (along with "One More Summer" and "Birdman of Budapest")

:lol:
I watched this again last night. I agree with you on #1 Doc. I think that was the bright spot of the episode. It cracked me up when they called him Huggins and you could see the anger on his face!

gmt16750
Captain

#40 Post by gmt16750 »

Once again i agree with Agatha.
my favorite scene though is:
Higgins' "Bah Humbug"
when Magnum tries to soften him with the "little girls abandoned alone in the night" :lol:
Agatha: Why does he always do that, Jonathan?
Higgins: I don't know, Agatha. I think sometimes our creator is testing me. Indeed it could be for no other reason. If i thought otherwise i believe i truly would go irrevocably irretrievably mad!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by lutherhgillis »

I am totally on the fence with this one. It's not a great episode but it has value. It is sort of campy for me. It's alomst like a cult classic. Maybe like an episode that was shot but never aired only to be released ofter the show ended its run. That is how it hit me.

If you can rewind your mind back to 1980 however, you will begin to remember how much different things were then. TV was very tame compared to now. This epsiode was somewhat adventurous for its time. The Saigon Suzie's part is hilarious. TC must have been late for a blackjack dealer's convention with the visor...

The double cross at the airport was pretty cool. Does anyone remember when it was so simple to pass freely through an airport? I view this epsiode as valuable from a time capsule standpoint.
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by 308GTS »

Well, watched this one again last night and it's a so so ep. Perhaps the only redeeming feature of this one is the lovely Katherine Cannon. Higgins was pretty funny too especially after TC hoists him out onto the balcony.
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#43 Post by Doc Ibold »

Macho Leis, Higgins Scrooge, Sweaty Villians, OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!

I ask you fellow forumites, what is there NOT to like about this episode?!!!

Its got more cheese than Wisconsin, which makes it GREAT!

(Apologies to any Wisconsin-ites out there)

:lol:

Jaybird
Admiral

#44 Post by Jaybird »

A fun "Christmas" episode! Light hearted for the most part like many episodes. It brought back memories. What was I doing during Christmas that year?

DetroitBoy
Ensign

TC's Shirt

#45 Post by DetroitBoy »

Agreed this episode lacks a little plot but the cheesiness is awesome. Maybe this show was written after the pilot was surprisingly picked up and the writers had to get some product out.

Why though does TC run around for the last half of the show with his shirt completely unbuttoned?