Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too (1.4)

Rate, review & discuss the episodes from the first season

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
2%
9.0 (Excellent)
13%
8.5 (Very Good)
11%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
21%
7.5 (Decent)
23%
7.0 (Average at Best)
11%
6.5 (Not So Good)
8%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
7%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 129

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by lutherhgillis »

Guys,

The flubs you have spotted are great finds. Most are rather obvious once you look for them but I had a tough time finding the crew member's reflection in the side glass of the getaway car the old man drives. That's a great one!

My observation is not really a flub but I have a question about it. In the scene where the crook goes in to get the Gaugin from the nautatorium, how does he get in and out so easily? Remember, Magnum had to climb over the locked gate to get in. Does the fat, old man climb over also? I don't think so... Also, how does Rick get to his car so quickly. We see him waiting for the fat man to get out of sight before he climbs out of the water. Once he climbs out, he runs directly to his car with the implication of not having to climb over a gate at all.

This was not the strongest plot but it is still one of my favorites. I like how it introduces the 'human' aspect of the characters. There is a great deal of comedy and a revelation of the depth of friendship between the characters. Even Higgins is shown to be more bark than bite. The series needed this episode to show that they were going be more of a real life drama than a super hero fantasy.

Luther H Gillis

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#17 Post by IslandHopper »

lutherhgillis wrote:My observation is not really a flub but I have a question about it. In the scene where the crook goes in to get the Gaugin from the nautatorium, how does he get in and out so easily? Remember, Magnum had to climb over the locked gate to get in. Does the fat, old man climb over also? I don't think so... Also, how does Rick get to his car so quickly. We see him waiting for the fat man to get out of sight before he climbs out of the water. Once he climbs out, he runs directly to his car with the implication of not having to climb over a gate at all.
LHG,

Great observation regarding the art dealer having to climb over the gate. I think this could be considered a flub, because it doesn't make any sense, unless of course, after the art dealer gets into his car and drives away the camera cuts to the gate and you see hanging from the gate, shredded pieces of fabric from the seat of the art dealer's pants.:lol:

As far as Rick, I think he had a more direct route to his car, and I don't think he had to jump over a fence. If that is the case, then why didn't Magnum enter from that side which is not protected by the gate? Another great observation LHG.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#18 Post by J.J. Walters »

Doc Ibold wrote:I'd love to have something internally at my job that I can send around when I get a ridiculous request.
Hey Doc, I've got something else for you: "Magnum's Laugh" (.wav file).

I've also trimmed the "Outrageous" wav again (for the third time). It's now the way it should have been all along, just "This is outrageous! OUT-RAGEOUS!!". ;)

So now when you get a ridiculous request at work, hit 'em with "Magnum's Laugh", then "Outrageous"! That'll show 'em! LOL! ;)
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#19 Post by Doc Ibold »

AWESOME!

I'll make use of these next week.

LOL!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#20 Post by rubber chicken »

The hotel where Higgins is unceremoniously put out on the balcony is located here. In the show a sign was seen saying "Royal Continental Hotel" but now the building seems to be known only as 2121 Ala Wai Boulevard. It was originally built as a hotel in 1977 and later made into condominiums.

Last edited by rubber chicken on Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Thanks, R. C.! When we watched that episode a while back, I noticed that the views were quite similar to some photos I had taken (a few years pre-Magnum) from another high-rise on Ala Wai Boulevard. I'm glad you posted the address --it's only a couple of blocks away.

In your middle photo (below), the Ala Wai Canal is clearly visible through the lanai railing. In other parts of that scene, the more Mauka views (panned to the right from your middle photo) are of the Manoa Valley, and one of the most Ewa views (panned to the left) shows the distinctive profile of the Ala Moana Building (http://www.alamoanacenter.com/leasing_amcbldg.htm), with the revolving restaurant on top.
rubber chicken wrote:Image
Note that this unit (with Mauka and Ewa views) is presumably considered less desirable (and therefore perhaps less expensive) than other units on the same floor, with views of Diamond Head and/or of the beach in the Fort DeRussy area.
Last edited by Carol the Dabbler on Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#22 Post by rubber chicken »

Good info Carol. It's funny - in Honolulu even the less desirable views are still awesome compared to what you'd have in almost any other city.

I always enjoy when people can relate these locations to their own experiences. :)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#23 Post by J.J. Walters »

Doc Ibold wrote:Yes, the plot is weak, yes the villian sweats like a fiend...
I recently came across some interesting info regarding the actor who plays the sweating kidnapper (Jim Demarest). Yes, it's more obscure trivia about extremely minor characters with one or two lines and the actors who play them. ;)

Jim Demarest was Mr. Checkers #3 (the longest running "Mr. Checkers") on the popular, long-running Hawaiian childrens show (KGMB) The Checkers & Pogo Show. The show ran from 1968-1979. Any locals remember this show?

YouTube intro. clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38w6RC2K70s :shock:

It must have been strange for locals to watch this episode - "Oh no, Mr. Checkers is a kidnapper! A sweating kidnapper of.... kids!" ;)

Sadly, Jim died in 2007. He had his ashes scattered in the ocean in front of the Honolulu Elks Lodge (the first KKC location).

Jim also appeared in "Let Me Hear the Music" and "The Treasure of Kalaniopuu".

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#24 Post by Doc Ibold »

Is Pogo Poge kind of like Flava Flav?

Wow, that was a pretty trippy beginning.

What was with the dog?

It was just...there.

I was expecting SOMETHING to happen with it!

:lol:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#25 Post by J.J. Walters »

It looks like the intro is cut short, unfortunately. What an odd bunch of characters! H.R. Pufnstuf comes to mind. ;)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#26 Post by J.J. Walters »

Al Harrington (Mano), "The South Pacific Man", was the first high school football All-American to come out of Hawaii! After leading his high school (Punahou School) to a championship, he went to Stanford on a four-year football scholarship, then turned down an offer to play with the Baltimore Colts to go on a church mission in the South Pacific!

He was Ben Kokua on Hawaii Five-0 and a headlining Waikiki entertainer (including fire knife dancing) for many years. Right up there with Don Ho and Dick Jensen in terms of popularity.

What a cool guy!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by lutherhgillis »

Yea, this epi is so bad it makes you like it for its 'cult film' type of appeal.

Higgins being outsmarted by the girls is priceless however...

"This is OUTRAGEOUS, OUTRAGEOUS."

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#28 Post by Doc Ibold »

lutherhgillis wrote:Yea, this epi is so bad it makes you like it for its 'cult film' type of appeal.

Higgins being outsmarted by the girls is priceless however...

"This is OUTRAGEOUS, OUTRAGEOUS."
Right on, lutherhgillis, right on.

(It's not THAT bad.... it's only the 3rd ep of the series, give 'em credit!)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#29 Post by J.J. Walters »

lutherhgillis wrote:Yea, this epi is so bad it makes you like it for its 'cult film' type of appeal.
Yep, that's pretty much it! And for Katherine Cannon! ;)

MyGod!
Lieutenant Commander

#30 Post by MyGod! »

Wow, I guess I'm in the minority here, I really liked this episode. Funny writing and great teamwork. I'll admit the plot is a bit too much, but overall very good production values. Man, when the girls call Higgins "Huggins" I couldn't stop laughing, Hillerman does a great job of conveying frustration that he's lost control of the situtation, and more broadly, the estate in general. How little he knows that he's in for 8 more years of TM's house guest causing problems.

I really like the "feel" of these earlier episodes better, a little seedier and a bit more sex appeal in general. The clothes are much better too(and funnier) IMO. By season 4 or 5, it seemed like all the female guest stars were shopping at the same terrible shoulder-pad ridden clothing store. I'll take 70's clothes over 80's any day.

Does anyone agree or disagree with my thought that the "feel" of the shows is different and better in the first few seasons? While I love TM's sensitivity, later seasons seemed to devolve into TM babysitting a bunch of annoying clients. I liek the more hard-eged approach here. In any case, hoorah for Magnum!