1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 136

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: No Need to Know (1.5)

#106 Post by K Hale »

Well, I'll be switching these to Vimeo, then! Thanks for the tip.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

karolis
Admiral

Re: Re:

#107 Post by karolis »

Danny Lin wrote:On the plot twist at the end:
MaiTaiMan wrote:

Again, nice plot twist at the end....even if I did sort of guess it right before it happened. Nicely done and I thought "excellent"! :D
It was really well hidden who was the bad guy in this episode! In fact there was only one hint given as to who could be the hit man before Mandy put the explosives in the tank. It was in the very morning when Mandy was done swimming and left the beach looking back to Magnum with an expression in her face that seemed to indicate that she was regretting something. She was pressing her towel at her body. In the towel something seemed to be hidden. In the following sequence Magnum is shown diving the tidal pool, searching it, and in a voice over he explains that he was surprised to find nothing at all...

This was the best thing about this episode, I think.
I started to suspect Mandy when i saw her alone on the beach the next day after the shooting in tidal pool. I figured woman would be shocked to be alone in a place where a man was murdered just yesterday. And then i saw here picking up the towel in which (i'm almost sure) were the bomb hidden that she later used for an Audi. Then i remembered the night of the shooting in tidal pool when her friend felt chilly and went back to the house and she decided to stay to receive the bomb from the diver.

P.S. I'm new here, this is my first post. I just started to rewatch Magnum P.I. for a third time. I've never been able to see it on it's original run because i wasn't even born. In my country Magnum P.I. was on air in ~1997-2000. I was 7-10 years old then i liked The A-Team and Knight Rider then more. I remember Airwolf and Magnum P.I. was on air, but i didn't really watched it. In ~2008 i bought DVDs of Magnum P.I. of all the eight seasons. Started to watch them the same year but stopped somewhere between third - fourth season. Last spring-summer i watched from season one till the last episode for the first time. A week ago i started from the first season again. I love 80s TV shows even though i was born in year 1990. These 80s TV shows reached my country in late 90s so i grew up with them.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#108 Post by ENSHealy »

J.J. Walters wrote:We're talking about a 1980's CBS TV show. Who are you expecting? Meryl Streep? Jessica Lange? Helen Mirren? ;)
Dude, you just sent a chill down my spine...can you imagine! I think the universe would have exploded, though.

Helen Mirren and Tom Selleck...now there's your reboot.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#109 Post by ENSHealy »

Little Garwood wrote:I liked that the government agents were played as incompetent buffoons and how they stood out like a sore thumb in Hawaii. Ed Grover, who played Hooker, played a similar role with a comedic touch in a few episodes of Quincy, M.E. as Customs Agent Niven. Grover was also the voiceover guy for numerous Visa credit card TV commercials in the '80s, so whenever he speaks in No Need to Know, I feel compelled to say out loud: "...and they DON'T take American Express." (or words to that effect
Yes! I had the same thing going on, except for me it was "...and the Olympics don't take American Express" so he must have done one those too. Either that or they're just all jumbled up in my brain, which is of course the more likely possibility.

Edit: my memory was right. That's a relief:

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1992/02/07 ... 697438800/
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#110 Post by ENSHealy »

Danny Lin wrote:So I don´t see a flub here.
Danny Lin wrote:So this is no flub.
Danny Lin wrote:So this shouldn´t be called a flub either
Danny Lin wrote:Again: No flub.
Danny Lin wrote:No flub, I say.
Danny Lin wrote:This is not a flub.
In a post on another episode, I recommended Danny Lin for promotion to Fleet Admiral. I would like to revise this recommendation. It appears we need a new rank, perhaps Flub Terminator? Flubinator? Flub Executioners? Flubecutioner?
Flub Denier?
Danny Lin wrote:The plant on the right of the door is a monstera deliciosa. The next sequences are: the dogs approaching.... When the dogs are shown jumping at the door the plant at the right of the door is suddenly a Dieffenbachia
Although, perhaps Assistant Gardener, or Kenji Jr. would also be appropriate?

However, do not take me wrong, Danny Lin, I love your sharp-eyed observations. Most of the time you are spot on and my only regret is that you made it to the forum with the observation before I did, therefore capturing the reflected glint of the team ring before I was able to. Carry on.

That being said, my Magnum-inspired stint in the Navy ROTC at the University of Wisconsin-Madison only lasted one year because my reflexive response to being told (especially told to do) anything is to question it. This is not a trait appreciated by Marine Corps Gunnery Sergeants employed by the Navy to train its future officers. Thus, the following:
Danny Lin wrote:When Magnum leaves the KKC Rick rends Magnums bill to pieces and makes a movement with his arm, indicating that he throws it into a bin behind the bar. A cut is made and taking up the picture of Rick throwing the pieces of the bill, it is shown how something that was thrown (probably a sponge) lands in a bucket full of water standing in front of Robin Masters Audi on the estate. Higgins washes the car. But who threw the sponge into the bucket. It can´t be Higgins: First of all the angle in witch it was thrown doesn´t match Higgins´ position over the car and second of all he is polishing the car with his right hand. His left hand is totally dry and rests on the newly polished car. Mandy and the two soldiers on duty can be seen behind Higgins. Kenji is working on the lawn, far away. The Brigadier isn´t part of the sequence at all. So, who threw the sponge??
Additionally: Higgins has been polishing the whole car, which is totally dry and shining. So if Higgins has been polishing for quite a while and the car is totally dry, why is his apron wet all over??
I think there is a plausible scenario for Higgins throwing the sponge. He is standing on the side of the car, and the bucket is on the ground in front of the license plate. Rather than taking a step or two, he could have leaned forward, toward the front of the car, and tossed the sponge with his left hand. The angle of the sponge as it enters the bucket would support this. Regarding the dry hand: we only see the top of Higgin's left hand, resting on the Audi. The palm of his hand could be wet. Also, the sponge may have been relatively dry before Higgins tosses it into the bucket. I don't think we need a dripping wet hand to support the scenario of Higgins having tossed the sponge. Finally, regarding Higgins drying the car, not washing it, and therefore not needing a wet sponge in his hand: he conceivably could just been touching up a missed spot with the sponge. The rest of the car is already washed and dried. He gets the sponge, touches up the spot, then tosses the sponge back in the bucket and uses the chamois to dry the spot he just touched up. After all, Mandy does tell him he missed a spot (although presumably she is just yanking his chain). There probably should have been a rinse with clean water between the sponge touch-up and the chamois drying, but it is not necessarily mandatory, given that the sponge could have been just wet, and not soapy, before he tosses it back in the bucket. (Perhaps he had rinsed the sponge, thinking he was done with it, before noticing the spot that needed touching up.)

Do I really think John Hillerman tossed the sponge? No, I'm sure an off-camera production assistant did. But I don't think it requires suspension of disbelief to think that Higgins did so.

Also, we only get a very brief look at the full length of the apron, and I believe it is a reasonably amount wet to support the supposition that it is just remaining splash water from when he rinsed the car before using the chamois to dry it. Again, it isn't dripping, or covered in fresh soap suds, it is just partially wet.
Danny Lin wrote:Magnums phone number:
When Rick dials the number to reach Magnum who is sleeping in the guest house, the last digits he dials are ...664 320. This number doesn´t really go together with Robin Masters 555-Number (555-7777), but whatever...
Remember, that -7777 number is Robin's private line (the "red phone"). It's totally plausible that the guest house has it's own phone number. We do know that Higgins complains about Magnum not having an answering service (i.e. Magnum gets phone calls, often business ones, on the estate's main line) but that doesn't preclude the guest house having a separate number. Especially given that it is Rick that is calling. If Thomas has a "private" phone number in the guest house, Rick would certainly have it. I would venture to say even, that when we see Rick and TC calling for TM on the "red phone", they have probably tried the guest house number first, not had their call answered, and are calling the "red phone" because they KNOW Higgins will answer that line.

But lastly, and most importantly, I'm glad I have a life that allows me the time to blow significant amounts of time deep-diving irrelevancies like this. I should probably be using this time trying to establish world peace or solve world hunger, but....that just doesn't sound like as much fun.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#111 Post by K Hale »

Danny Lin wrote:When Magnum leaves the KKC Rick rends Magnums bill to pieces and makes a movement with his arm, indicating that he throws it into a bin behind the bar. A cut is made and taking up the picture of Rick throwing the pieces of the bill, it is shown how something that was thrown (probably a sponge) lands in a bucket full of water standing in front of Robin Masters Audi on the estate. Higgins washes the car. But who threw the sponge into the bucket. It can´t be Higgins: First of all the angle in witch it was thrown doesn´t match Higgins´ position over the car and second of all he is polishing the car with his right hand. His left hand is totally dry and rests on the newly polished car. Mandy and the two soldiers on duty can be seen behind Higgins. Kenji is working on the lawn, far away. The Brigadier isn´t part of the sequence at all. So, who threw the sponge??
Additionally: Higgins has been polishing the whole car, which is totally dry and shining. So if Higgins has been polishing for quite a while and the car is totally dry, why is his apron wet all over??
I think there is a plausible scenario for Higgins throwing the sponge. He is standing on the side of the car, and the bucket is on the ground in front of the license plate. Rather than taking a step or two, he could have leaned forward, toward the front of the car, and tossed the sponge with his left hand. The angle of the sponge as it enters the bucket would support this. Regarding the dry hand: we only see the top of Higgin's left hand, resting on the Audi. The palm of his hand could be wet. Also, the sponge may have been relatively dry before Higgins tosses it into the bucket. I don't think we need a dripping wet hand to support the scenario of Higgins having tossed the sponge. Finally, regarding Higgins drying the car, not washing it, and therefore not needing a wet sponge in his hand: he conceivably could just been touching up a missed spot with the sponge. The rest of the car is already washed and dried. He gets the sponge, touches up the spot, then tosses the sponge back in the bucket and uses the chamois to dry the spot he just touched up. After all, Mandy does tell him he missed a spot (although presumably she is just yanking his chain). There probably should have been a rinse with clean water between the sponge touch-up and the chamois drying, but it is not necessarily mandatory, given that the sponge could have been just wet, and not soapy, before he tosses it back in the bucket. (Perhaps he had rinsed the sponge, thinking he was done with it, before noticing the spot that needed touching up.)

Do I really think John Hillerman tossed the sponge? No, I'm sure an off-camera production assistant did. But I don't think it requires suspension of disbelief to think that Higgins did so.

Also, we only get a very brief look at the full length of the apron, and I believe it is a reasonably amount wet to support the supposition that it is just remaining splash water from when he rinsed the car before using the chamois to dry it. Again, it isn't dripping, or covered in fresh soap suds, it is just partially wet.
It is quality content like this that made me subscribe to this forum. Outstanding.
Danny Lin wrote:Magnums phone number:
When Rick dials the number to reach Magnum who is sleeping in the guest house, the last digits he dials are ...664 320. This number doesn´t really go together with Robin Masters 555-Number (555-7777), but whatever...
Remember, that -7777 number is Robin's private line (the "red phone"). It's totally plausible that the guest house has it's own phone number. We do know that Higgins complains about Magnum not having an answering service (i.e. Magnum gets phone calls, often business ones, on the estate's main line) but that doesn't preclude the guest house having a separate number. Especially given that it is Rick that is calling. If Thomas has a "private" phone number in the guest house, Rick would certainly have it. I would venture to say even, that when we see Rick and TC calling for TM on the "red phone", they have probably tried the guest house number first, not had their call answered, and are calling the "red phone" because they KNOW Higgins will answer that line.
My question is, what happens if Robin (or Rick or T.C.) calls and Higgins is not in the house? There doesn't seem to ever be an answering machine attached to either of Higgins' phones. I recall in "Compulsion" when he was trying to get out of the house quickly and the regular phone was ringing, and Magnum asked if he was going to answer it, and Higgins said, "If it's important, they'll call back."
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#112 Post by ENSHealy »

1.5 NO NEED TO KNOW
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Island Hopper shirts: 0
Body Count: 2 diver, Mandy
Shirtless: 2
Little Voice: 0
I know what you’re thinking: 0
When I write HTBAWCPI: 0
Investigator corrections: 1
Magnum injuries: 0
Higgins musings: 0
4th wall breaks: 1
Negotiations: 0
Famous guest stars: 0
Magnumometer: 7

The voiceover echo heard in the pilot returns for this episode.

Time seems to compress and expand during the bomb finale. We may need a physicist to consult with us on how this might occur. For those of you scoring at home:
The timer on the bomb v. episode clock time:
The bomb is at 4:57 at 39:12
4:00 at 42:52 (bomb counts down 57 sec in 3:40 real time)
2:58 at 43:03 (bomb counts down 1:02 in 11 seconds)
2:23 at 43:24 (bomb counts down 35 secs in 21 seconds)
1:30 at 43:42 (bomb counts down 53 seconds in 18 seconds)
:48 AT 43:53 (bomb counts down 42 seconds in 11 seconds)
:17 at 44:17 (bomb counts down 31 seconds in 24 seconds)
explodes at 45:07 (bomb counts down 17 seconds in 50 seconds)
In the end, the bomb explodes 58 seconds after it “should have.”
(feel free to check my math...it was never my strong suit.)

Flub: Magnum refers to the Audi “repair manual” in Sampson’s apartment. It was an owner’s manual. There is a difference. Cove Thomas Motors, seen on the receipt behind the owners manual, appears to have been an actual dealership, but it has left very few traces on the interwebs.

Security flub: At 17:20 one of the SAS guys pats down Magnum….and stops at mid-thigh! We know Magnum wears an ankle holster at times. Surely an SAS man wouldn’t perform such an incomplete pat down. I’m sure Higgins did not leave Mandy and Suzie’s ankles unchecked.

CRUCIAL CONVERSATIONS

Hooker: Well, what do you say, Magnum? Are you in?
Magnum: For 200 a day plus expenses.
Hooker: $200 a day? What are you trying to do? Rip off your own government?
Magnum: I don't do that, but goodwill doesn't keep the finance companies and the landlords off my back.
Dobie: What's fair is fair.
Hooker: just drink your orange juice, will you? $200 a day is one hell of a lot of money.
Rick: Not if you only work 10 days a year.

Hooker: Magnum, can we have this discussion later?
Magnum: Why? [Hooker looks at Higgins.] What is with you guys?
Hooker: What is with you?
Magnum: This man is responsible for this place, and he's got a dead man on his hands. He has every right to know every damn thing that's going on here. Higgins, you stay if you want.
Higgins: I have to look in on the brigadier. Magnum, I'm glad you're all right.

Two semi-final thoughts: Hooker’s ID is awesome, cheese factor 5.

And what is this that Thomas swims over in the tidal pool?

I’ve decided my final final thought requires its own stand-alone post (in this thread, but I believe the issue may require it's own thread at some point). Some of you may say the subject is not fit for publication, but we must address uncomfortable issues, as difficult as it may be. Stay tuned.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#113 Post by ENSHealy »

My final thought on No Need to Know is this: what in the name of all that is holy is going on here? How could no one have been like "Um...Tom....maybe let's do another take, eh?"

Ladies, I'd be particularly interested in your thoughts on this topic.

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#114 Post by ENSHealy »

Danny Lin wrote:Only if the alarm would show in further episodes again, which as far as I remember isn´t the case, this could be called a flub.
Here is a shot from Season 3, Episode 4 showing the alarm in the Ferrari.

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

karolis
Admiral

#115 Post by karolis »

ENSHealy wrote:
Danny Lin wrote:Only if the alarm would show in further episodes again, which as far as I remember isn´t the case, this could be called a flub.
Here is a shot from Season 3, Episode 4 showing the alarm in the Ferrari.

It's probably reused footage from the previous seasons (pilot?).

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#116 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

ENSHealy wrote:Image
Wow... I definitely have "no need to know" what's going on there. For some reason I keep thinking of John Ritter as Austin Tripper saying, "I've got a hitch in my giddyap."

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#117 Post by K Hale »

Lt Tanaka wrote:While not as cringe-worthy as Faith and Begorragh the idea of the IRA following a British officer to Hawaii to assassinate him is clearly ridiculous.
Perhaps she was a rogue agent working outside IRA authority. She's clearly not Irish so maybe it could be something like her father was IRA and she's American born, and came up with the plot on her own to get revenge for the British Army imprisoning her father... or some such. She is there as Robin's guest, so she must be a real flight attendant.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#118 Post by T.Q. »

Great episode.

Higgins really ratcheted up the jabs on Thomas and his choice of occupation and bank account.

One of my favourite endings with T.C.’s shrunken jacket. Really sets the stage for the humorous playful aspect of the show.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

brianw
Rear Admiral

#119 Post by brianw »

I love the early episodes. Different music and TM was so young. A bit more action as well. This one was pretty good.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#120 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

K Hale wrote:
Lt Tanaka wrote:While not as cringe-worthy as Faith and Begorragh the idea of the IRA following a British officer to Hawaii to assassinate him is clearly ridiculous.
Perhaps she was a rogue agent working outside IRA authority. She's clearly not Irish so maybe it could be something like her father was IRA and she's American born, and came up with the plot on her own to get revenge for the British Army imprisoning her father... or some such. She is there as Robin's guest, so she must be a real flight attendant.
KHale,
The IRA would never sanction a hit on US soil of what we view as a high ranking officer of the army of a loyal ally. They need to keep going the fiction of
the romantic IRA as sung about by the Clancy Brothers, stealing "Johnson's Motor Car". The IRA reaped untold millions from Irish American centers such as
Boston, as well as vital political support from politicians such as Tip O'Neill, George Mitchell etc.
So KHale I would have to agree with you this would have been a rogue operation. The girl would had to have been affecting an American accent as no
way would the IRA ever recruit a Yankee as a "soldier" for such operations here.
The blow back if brought to light would never be worth losing their fairy tale standing in Irish-American eyes, plus the US government would shut down the
money pipeline at the very least instead of ignoring fund raising for ostensibly legit charities that funneled money to the IRA..
The IRA, it is thought, never had more than 800 professional "soldiers", though of course there were legions of fellow travelers who abetted them plus
their political arm Sinn Féin.
Now that there is peace in Erin, the IRA, as predicted, saw many of it's members go into organised crime, as not many people want to hire someone
with the skill sets that resulted in happily blowing up innocents from 8 to 80.
As for their goal of Irish unification, I think they were right in their cause but wrong in their ways.