No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 133

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

Re: Never Again ... Never Again (1.7)

#166 Post by Gorilla Mask »

charybdis1966 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:39 pm I don't know if this has been mentioned before but I noticed something while I was showing this episode to the family last night (it was my turn to choose what we saw).

What I noticed was that for about around an hour or two of screen time (from the breaching of Robin's next till after the discovery of Kessler's body) we saw various scenes that looked to be set at dusk. What bothered me was that dusk only usually lasts about twenty minutes to half an hour so to have the agents abducting Lena, Rick and TM at Kessler's place and then a few scenes after it in a constant dusk it didn't make sense.

I suspect that those scenes were shot at daytime and some kind of optical effect/filter was used to make it look like near darkness.

That has to be it; anyone else agree or can disprove my theory?
From what I can tell, these scenes were shot in the middle of the day (see the clearly visibles foliage shadows) with a special filter to make it look like dusk. It's funny, because in France we call it 'shooting in American night'... This process was widely used during the 50 and 60's in Hollywood...
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#167 Post by charybdis1966 »

Gorilla Mask wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:06 pm
charybdis1966 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:39 pm I don't know if this has been mentioned before but I noticed something while I was showing this episode to the family last night (it was my turn to choose what we saw).

What I noticed was that for about around an hour or two of screen time (from the breaching of Robin's next till after the discovery of Kessler's body) we saw various scenes that looked to be set at dusk. What bothered me was that dusk only usually lasts about twenty minutes to half an hour so to have the agents abducting Lena, Rick and TM at Kessler's place and then a few scenes after it in a constant dusk it didn't make sense.

I suspect that those scenes were shot at daytime and some kind of optical effect/filter was used to make it look like near darkness.

From what I can tell, these scenes were shot in the middle of the day (see the clearly visibles foliage shadows) with a special filter to make it look like dusk. It's funny, because in France we call it 'shooting in American night'... This process was widely used during the 50 and 60's in Hollywood...
Ha, I thought so ! Don’t know why it irritated me so much. It just looked stupidly weird.

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#168 Post by Gorilla Mask »

charybdis1966 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:10 pm
Gorilla Mask wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:06 pm

Ha, I thought so ! Don’t know why it irritated me so much. It just looked stupidly weird.
'Holy crap !", same for me, Starbuck ! :wink:
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#169 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Yep, I believe it was day-for-night shooting. Fairly common back in the day. Well, maybe not so much in the 80s but in the earlier decades it was used a lot.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#170 Post by Pahonu »

I remember contributing to a discussion on this episode’s day for night shooting on the forum. If it’s not in this thread somewhere then… :shock:

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#171 Post by charybdis1966 »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:07 pm I remember contributing to a discussion on this episode’s day for night shooting on the forum. If it’s not in this thread somewhere then… :shock:
I'd guess it was a cost cutting measure - you have to pay overtime rates for night time shooting. It's still done today, I was watching Raised by Wolves (a sci-fi series) and there was a belly load of night-day shooting on that. It irritates me when I see it for some reason.

Pahonu

#172 Post by Pahonu »

charybdis1966 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:30 pm
Pahonu wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:07 pm I remember contributing to a discussion on this episode’s day for night shooting on the forum. If it’s not in this thread somewhere then… :shock:
I'd guess it was a cost cutting measure - you have to pay overtime rates for night time shooting. It's still done today, I was watching Raised by Wolves (a sci-fi series) and there was a belly load of night-day shooting on that. It irritates me when I see it for some reason.
You are absolutely correct. I worked a few years in production and recall the “bump” in pay, as they called it, for night shooting. Most productions would shoot night scenes, if there weren’t many, at the end of a day’s shooting. There would be overtime pay, which almost always happened anyway, but not a separate bump for a night shoot. The handful of times I did a full night shoot were rough. On these few occasions, I arrived just before sunset and worked until sunrise. At least a couple of times it was after completing a full day of shooting for another series.

The longest I ever recall working was a 10 hour shoot from about 6:30-7:00 to about 4:30-5:00. I then slept a couple of hours in my car and was on set for the night shoot at about 7:00-8:00 and shot until sunrise around 6:00. This was in the late spring or early summer in SoCal, if I remember the time correctly. Bottom line is that I worked about 21-22 hours in a 24 hour period. I was spent, but the money was too good to pass up.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#173 Post by charybdis1966 »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:49 am
You are absolutely correct. ......The longest I ever recall working was a 10 hour shoot from about 6:30-7:00 to about 4:30-5:00. I then slept a couple of hours in my car and was on set for the night shoot at about 7:00-8:00 and shot until sunrise around 6:00. This was in the late spring or early summer in SoCal, if I remember the time correctly. Bottom line is that I worked about 21-22 hours in a 24 hour period. I was spent, but the money was too good to pass up.
Ooh, a 22 hour work spell - you have bags more stamina than me !

Pahonu

#174 Post by Pahonu »

charybdis1966 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:40 pm
Pahonu wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:49 am
You are absolutely correct. ......The longest I ever recall working was a 10 hour shoot from about 6:30-7:00 to about 4:30-5:00. I then slept a couple of hours in my car and was on set for the night shoot at about 7:00-8:00 and shot until sunrise around 6:00. This was in the late spring or early summer in SoCal, if I remember the time correctly. Bottom line is that I worked about 21-22 hours in a 24 hour period. I was spent, but the money was too good to pass up.
Ooh, a 22 hour work spell - you have bags more stamina than me !
I was young and stupid! About 23 or 24 at the time. :lol: I also think I slept for about 10-12 hours the next day. I remember pretty well because I woke up at dusk and couldn’t sleep that night. It messed up my sleep even at that young age. Now, I might not recover for a week!

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#175 Post by terryfromkerry »

At the 4 minute 10 seconds mark approximately Saul exits his shop and scans the street. In this scene there is what looks like a cinema across the street. The billboard displays the name of the movie showing. Even viewing in HD it's somewhat blurred. Does anyone know the name of the movie ? I am hoping it's more legible perhaps to anyone with the Blue Ray DVD collection. :magnum:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#176 Post by ENSHealy »

I think I can make out the words Aspen and Short in the second line. The Aspen Shortsfest started in 1979 (thanks wikipedia) so maybe that's what they were showing?

The first word in the top line might be sweet?
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#177 Post by ENSHealy »

It's the Queen Theater in Kaimuki - again, thanks Google.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#178 Post by terryfromkerry »

Mahalo ENShealy , good work. :magnum:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#179 Post by Aloha Friday »

I remember the gunshot as well...it happened when they cut the scene to the exterior of the boat. In fact, when watching this episode for the first time in forever, I was surprised there was no gun shot. I think it was edited out sometime after the original run.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

frao51
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#180 Post by frao51 »

Hello, does anyone have a videoclip of Magnum shooting Lena on the boat off-camera as shown in the original broadcast?