4%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 119

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Pahonu wrote:
lutherhgillis wrote:Concerning the paniolo growers from this episode, I heard on the news today that doctors have issued new warnings about hootch. Apparently it really does do serious long term damage to the brain. They don't call it dope for nothing...
Luther, I think its pakalolo not paniolo and I always thought hooch was slang for alcohol. Anyone else know?
Paniolo is Hawaiian for "Cowboy" as far as I know...and yes, the term "hooch" is slang for illegal alcohol, such as Moonshine.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

One thing, I don't quite understand at the end is, why does the quarantined dog run freely on the estate while the lads are in the fenced off bit? Shouldn't it be the other way round???

And why is it the ugliest dog of Hawaii? This is a rather cute little canine.

Not too sure about this episode. I don't quite hate it or love it.... I quite like it for the cute little dog and the bloopers at the end (is this really the only one??? I thought I had seen others too), but don't like it for the rather bad storyline.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#48 Post by N1095A »

Visiting Stewardess wrote:One thing, I don't quite understand at the end is, why does the quarantined dog run freely on the estate while the lads are in the fenced off bit? Shouldn't it be the other way round???
That one's easy. It wouldn't be funny the other way around :)
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by Danno »

I'm with Higgins when he proclaims, "No, no! This episode is absurd!"
It's ridiculous. The charm of the characters is what carries the less than magnificent script. Still, it wins me over for some reason... :wink:

Member A P Leyland posted this link to a story of the episode's creation: http://allan-cole.blogspot.com/2011/10/ ... awaii.html
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by Seaver41 »

J.J. Walters wrote:During the "bannana field" chase, when the gangsters' car gets stuck in the mud, listen closely in the background - monkeys are howling, "who-who-who-who-who-ha-ha-ha-ha"! You can hear them a couple of times in the scene. T'ain't no wild monkeys in Oahu (and they weren't anywhere near the Honolulu Zoo)! Pretty funny.
I noticed the 'jungle noises' myself watching last night...............got a good chuckle out of it.

I don't watch for bloopers much......mostly because shows back then were notorious for using stock footage that was poor in quality and out of place.........but maybe the worst of all is the OBVIOUS use of stunt doubles.......poorly blended/edited in.......in this episode as well when the old man took the wheel to chase them into the banana field. That happens so often , it made me numb a long time ago.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Seaver41 »

Visiting Stewardess wrote:One thing, I don't quite understand at the end is, why does the quarantined dog run freely on the estate while the lads are in the fenced off bit? Shouldn't it be the other way round???
And why is it the ugliest dog of Hawaii? This is a rather cute little canine.

Not too sure about this episode. I don't quite hate it or love it.... I quite like it for the cute little dog and the bloopers at the end (is this really the only one??? I thought I had seen others too), but don't like it for the rather bad storyline.
that seemed forced for the cheap laugh......especially when the lady informs TM that the tidal pool is an issue and then the presumably the dog run would be for the poochie.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Seaver41 »

clever little episode that is saved by the character interaction. One thing is clear so far, if the action/plot is not enough, the character interaction on 'slower' episodes saves them. Gazzo as the 'old Moustache' is great as the out of touch classic gangster.......clearly spoofing his Godfather persona. The aspiring marine biologist was about as dry and boring as any female lead on the show........truly forgettable.

and one more thing.........I've now seen it a few times in this early part of first season.........they keep putting women in those high wasted pants that simply don't work if you are carrying any extra baggage on the backside.....if you know what I mean. Same thing in the Little Girls episode with their chaperone.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#53 Post by J.J. Walters »

Seaver41 wrote:The aspiring marine biologist was about as dry and boring as any female lead on the show........truly forgettable.
Dry, maybe. Forgettable, no way! She's drop dead gorgeous! ;)

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Sisophous »

Carol the Dabbler wrote:I like this episode overall, but there's one little bit that bugs me. While Magnum is being chased by the gangsters, he runs into some pot growers guarding their patch, and tricks them into shooting at the gangsters. Then as soon as he's clear, he pauses to memorize the location so he can report the pot growers to the police -- after they just saved his life! I know that private investigators are sworn to uphold the law and all that, but haven't we seen Magnum bend things more than a little from time to time?
Spot on right, I caught that too as very odd. It did not make any sense as two people who could have shot you, instead let you go, saved your life from those pursuing you, and you pause to try to nail them later on. The script writers and directors flopped on that one. It makes Magnum look like a complete PRICK.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#55 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Sisophous wrote:The script writers and directors flopped on that one. It makes Magnum look like a complete PRICK.
I think it's more like the network going out of its way to please the small group of busy-bodies who hammer out a letter to the FCC every time they hear a word or see a body part that would make Agatha Chumley blush. Remember, this was at the peak of Nancy Reagan's "Just Say No" campaign.

Edit: Looks like Tom got involved with her initiative in '85: http://www.corbisimages.com/stock-photo ... om-selleck

"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
I think it's more like the network going out of its way to please the small group of busy-bodies who hammer out a letter to the FCC every time they hear a word or see a body part that would make Agatha Chumley blush.
Yeah, that's what I thought too. Maybe that was put into the script as an after-thought. Someone probably said in the scripting phase, "Hey guys, we can't do this. People will think we sympathise with pot growers, if we leave it like that!"

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by Sisophous »

J.J. Walters wrote:
Seaver41 wrote:The aspiring marine biologist was about as dry and boring as any female lead on the show........truly forgettable.
Dry, maybe. Forgettable, no way! She's drop dead gorgeous! ;)

I really did not like her character at all. She is terrified of dogs and very emotional with mood swings. She reminds me of the female role played in Indiana Jones films where the girl is always on an emotional roller-coaster.

I found this episode the very first of the series where there were constant attempts at humor, mainly the bad guys were quarreling and incompetent. The attempts at humor were lame.

TankTop44
Commander

#58 Post by TankTop44 »

In the end as always, its TM that makes and save even the shakey episodes.

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by MaximRecoil »

J.J. Walters wrote:During the "bannana field" chase, when the gangsters' car gets stuck in the mud, listen closely in the background - monkeys are howling, "who-who-who-who-who-ha-ha-ha-ha"! You can hear them a couple of times in the scene. T'ain't no wild monkeys in Oahu (and they weren't anywhere near the Honolulu Zoo)! Pretty funny.
That sound effect was of a kookaburra (link), a bird native only to Australia that has been a stock "jungle" sound effect in movies and TV shows since the MGM Tarzan movies starting in the early 1930s.
Jay-Firestorm wrote: Magnum wears his Detroit Tigers cap for the first time (he would be a Tigers fan throughout the series)
Magnum was first seen wearing his Detroit Tigers hat in China Doll.
* In the scene where Zeus and Apollo leap out of the back of the van, we hear Higgins’ voice command “Now, lads”. This is clearly dubbed on in post-production, and Higgins is nowhere to be seen in the rest of the sequence.
Higgins is seen a moment later stepping out of the back of the van.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#60 Post by J.J. Walters »

MaximRecoil wrote:
That sound effect was of a kookaburra (link), a bird native only to Australia that has been a stock "jungle" sound effect in movies and TV shows since the MGM Tarzan movies starting in the early 1930s.
Yep. I added that bit to the episode guide years ago. Still, there ain't no kookaburras in Hawaii either. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!