The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club (1.11)

Rate, review & discuss the episodes from the first season

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
4%
9.5 (One of the Best)
12%
9.0 (Excellent)
23%
8.5 (Very Good)
27%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
21%
7.5 (Decent)
7%
7.0 (Average at Best)
4%
6.5 (Not So Good)
1%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 137

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#61 Post by Magnum T. »

MaiTaiMan wrote:LOL! :lol: As a guy, I could not care less about Tom Selleck's chest hair. :shock: Yuck! :P

Most of the girls I've ever known or dated have said they really don't care for lots of chest hair, and think it's gross. I actually agree myself, and thank God I really don't have that much...and what little I do have is mostly very fine blonde hairs, so you don't see them much.

I sort of look at the "chest carpet" as sort of an "old-guy" thing. Tom Selleck is one of the best and is considered one of the best looking actors ever...but the "ape-chest" thing is one I won't be copying. :wink:
Visiting Stewardess wrote:Too right.... Tom Selleck can't do anything wrong. He is MAGNUM and therefore women forgive him for sporting this 'tache and the chest hair....
Well, it's a matter of taste.
Nowadays the hairless look is more popular but some women don't like it and find chest hair more virile.
Sure it depends on the amount of it but I wouldn't call TS (or Sean Connery) "ape men".
(You have not seen real ape-man!)
And would Magnum be Magnum with a hairless chest and no moustache?
Don't think so.
Tom Selleck without 'stache looks really strange.

As far as I'm concerned I have moustache and hair chest (not curly but wavy) and I am happy with it.
Problem is I don't have TS's muscles :cry:
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Magnum T. wrote: Problem is I don't have TS's muscles :cry:
That's something that you can work on. But I am afraid we are getting OT.... :wink:

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by Magnum T. »

Me too :wink:
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by No need to know! »

I love my hairy chest :D

Great episode this one.

"Official clubspokesman"?! :lol:
Onion´s extra?

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Magnum T. wrote:
MaiTaiMan wrote:LOL! :lol: As a guy, I could not care less about Tom Selleck's chest hair. :shock: Yuck! :P

Most of the girls I've ever known or dated have said they really don't care for lots of chest hair, and think it's gross. I actually agree myself, and thank God I really don't have that much...and what little I do have is mostly very fine blonde hairs, so you don't see them much.

I sort of look at the "chest carpet" as sort of an "old-guy" thing. Tom Selleck is one of the best and is considered one of the best looking actors ever...but the "ape-chest" thing is one I won't be copying. :wink:
Visiting Stewardess wrote:Too right.... Tom Selleck can't do anything wrong. He is MAGNUM and therefore women forgive him for sporting this 'tache and the chest hair....
Well, it's a matter of taste.
Nowadays the hairless look is more popular but some women don't like it and find chest hair more virile.
Sure it depends on the amount of it but I wouldn't call TS (or Sean Connery) "ape men".
(You have not seen real ape-man!)
And would Magnum be Magnum with a hairless chest and no moustache?
Don't think so.
Tom Selleck without 'stache looks really strange.

As far as I'm concerned I have moustache and hair chest (not curly but wavy) and I am happy with it.
Problem is I don't have TS's muscles :cry:
LOL! :lol: I was only kidding about the "ape-man" comment. Tom Selleck does not look like an ape-man--and you are correct, without the chest hair and mustache he would not only not be Magnum...but not Tom Selleck!

He looks awesome in all episodes, including this one, and I wish I could have his muscles too. Maybe if I went to Hawaii again, King Kamehameha's curse would give me muscles--but no mustache or chest hair. :P
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

MaiTaiMan wrote:
LOL! :lol: I was only kidding about the "ape-man" comment. Tom Selleck does not look like an ape-man--and you are correct, without the chest hair and mustache he would not only not be Magnum...but not Tom Selleck!
Too right. But then again I quite like him without his 'tache too. Makes him younger. It took some time getting used to, but once you have gotten over that initial "shock" it's quite ok.
MaiTaiMan wrote: Maybe if I went to Hawaii again, King Kamehameha's curse would give me muscles--but no mustache or chest hair. :P
I keep my fingers crossed for you! :lol:

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Visiting Stewardess wrote:
MaiTaiMan wrote:
Too right. But then again I quite like him without his 'tache too. Makes him younger. It took some time getting used to, but once you have gotten over that initial "shock" it's quite ok.
MaiTaiMan wrote: Maybe if I went to Hawaii again, King Kamehameha's curse would give me muscles--but no mustache or chest hair. :P
I keep my fingers crossed for you! :lol:
LOL! Thanks! But, in reality--no curses, Kamehameha or otherwise. :wink:

I too have seen Selleck in a couple things without his mustache...it's just weird since I'm so used to seeing him with it. The main one is an episode of "Charlie's Angels"--where he guest-stars and plays Jaclyn Smith's boyfriend...but they break up. He looked okay without the 'stache--he just seems more like Selleck to me, with it though. Not sure when he grew the mustache...but "Magnum" truly made it one of his signature trademarks.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by Magnum T. »

A hansome man is a handsome man, 'stache or not.
Sean Connery was good looking in "Dr. No" and is still good looking in "The Hunt for Red October" or "Entrapment".
But some men seem born to sport moustache. Or beard.
TS has a wide space between his nose and upper lip, almost like he had to have moustache.
And as MaiTaiMan said, it's a trademark, makes him immediately recognizable.
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by Seaver41 »

as for chest hair-gate.........I can attest based on my own that it is the water. Mine will curl up to some degree when soaked and that also thins the carpet look. Just hand him a towel and he'll have it fluffy in no time.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by Seaver41 »

I would say the ruby red flash was not true 4th wall. It's not 100% clear if it were intended for Magnum or not........we are clearly given a glimpse to see it, and because it was his right eye, if his head was turned sidewaysjust a hair, we'd miss it. It's splitting hairs, but the normal use of 4th wall in Magnum usually 'clears' any character from the stare of the actor..........but in this case Magnum would've been in proximity of his gaze to see it.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by Braddah Kimo »

"I quite like him without his 'tache too." Actually the slang term is 'ache. no wait. It is 'che. I think...
Boy, TM was some kinda pushy haole in this ep wasn't he. Yelling really loudly while in the hospital. Walking into Makua's home with no invite and without removing his shoes. and yelling at him accusing him, threatening him... Storming into the old man's home and yelling at him, accusing him.

Charlie's ruby glint in one eye is appropriate I feel as two would have been too heavyhanded. besides one makes ya think more. Two would have made him resemble some kinda cat at night kinda look. And Charlie was quite emphatically looking at TM at the end. No 4th wall breaking. That would make little sense. The glint in his eye was as mentioned, as a wink to mag.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#72 Post by J.J. Walters »

I have nice little addition for your locations guide, rubber chicken. A local sent this my way...
In the scene where Magnum drives up to a small country store [North Shore]...

that store was a plantation store for many years for Waialua Sugar Company and its workers. Instead of money, some if not most workers used to buy groceries and household items using "store" credit where clerks would write down on a simple piece of paper what was bought and bills were paid back using weekly plantation pay checks; the name is Fujioka Store.
and it was in front of a Buddhist church name Waialua Hongwanji Mission.
I should know, I grew up there. The store is no longer, but the Mission survives to this day with a small congregation.
Pretty neat!

ImageImage
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Thu May 09, 2013 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by Braddah Kimo »

I miss that little store and all the other little mom-and-pop shops that have gone the way of the wind over the decades. the times they are a-changing much too fast.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by Braddah Kimo »

I remember that scene and Thinking I really have got to get up to Waialua again. Also thinking Thomas Magnum really is a bad private investigator. he will never get anywhere parking like that and approaching locals like some fob, aggressively demanding information. Of course if he did it realistically everyone aross the mainland watching would demand why is he not busting some heads for information?!

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by Stelth »

Braddah Kimo wrote:I remember that scene and Thinking I really have got to get up to Waialua again. Also thinking Thomas Magnum really is a bad private investigator. he will never get anywhere parking like that and approaching locals like some fob, aggressively demanding information. Of course if he did it realistically everyone aross the mainland watching would demand why is he not busting some heads for information?!
You've really got a hostile opinion about the rest of the U.S., don't you? I've read a few of your posts and can see you are quite prejudiced.