1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 102

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#21 Post by J.J. Walters »

RC,

He's not sure where the revetment in "Past Tense" is from, sorry.

He also added the following regarding "Thicker than Blood":
Regarding scenes filmed at Barbers Point CGAS, the scene in the operations room (big Earth Map in the back ground (Neil Lipe discussing the the matter ) was in the actual operations room. The scene as the crew enters the Air Station Building, where the phase " the Coast Guard make the best coffee in the world" is stated.

TC's helicopter was never at the Air Station during this filming as far as I know.

The Filming sequence for the CG Helo intercept , followed by the escape, followed by the Cobra face to face ("you guy's don't play fare") was done at Haleiwa, at the old air strip; west of Kamehameha Hwy, and north of Kahalewai Pl, west of Ukoa Pond (google map shows it well).

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 17&iwloc=A
I forgot to ask him about the General Service Vehicle Shop! I'll ask him.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#22 Post by rubber chicken »

Cool, I see TC's chopper came across the shore at this point, the dirt (or sand) road is still there, as well as the beach cabins. It's harder to pinpoint where TC landed, but since there's only trees there I may not have been able to confirm even the general location of that spot. So it's great that we now have that information. Thanks to the retired USCG gentleman for getting in touch with you!

I wonder if the name of the building is actually "Air Station Building". I wouldn't know, I'm not able to find much info online about the station, I'll label it as Air Station Building for now. It's neat that filming took place in authentic Coast Guard facilities.

Jaybird
Admiral

#23 Post by Jaybird »

Thoroughly enjoyable episode with quite a few memorable moments.
First, the new intro theme happens but not in it's final form. Still, it is much better than the earlier intro.

Gorilla mask, Groucho nose and glasses, all firsts. We get to know TC better and start to see the depths of the friendships that exist between the four. I think this is a major appeal of this series....the depth of character development. The guys have fun, goof around, etc., the show is entertaining but there is substance underneath that isn't seen too much in a detective series.

Milo Minderbinder
Lieutenant

#24 Post by Milo Minderbinder »

Regarding the issue of drugs, both with the addict character and the Coast Guard, let's remember that this was almost 30 years ago and the government wasn't nearly as sophisticated and concerned about drugs as they are now. Miami Vice wasn't even a show yet. For example, I was just watching a show on CNBC about the marijuana trade in the late 70s. They interviewed a guy who ran a huge racket in SF and he selected SF because the government then focused on border cities for likely intervention sites. The guy even owned his own pier in SF for off-loading pot. Anyway, times have changed is my point.

The same thing can be said about the addict - most people know a lot more about drug addicts than back then.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#25 Post by J.J. Walters »

Jaybird wrote:Gorilla mask, Groucho nose and glasses, all firsts. We get to know TC better and start to see the depths of the friendships that exist between the four. I think this is a major appeal of this series....the depth of character development. The guys have fun, goof around, etc., the show is entertaining but there is substance underneath that isn't seen too much in a detective series.
Well said Jaybird! I couldn't agree more!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

burny
Commander

#26 Post by burny »

i just watched this ep again - i feel like i missed something - why is TC so very hostile to Rick and TM for trying to help? - like over the top hostile. i can understand how he would not want to implicate them in what he considers to be his problem and his decisions, but why is he so hostile about it instead of just explaining and saying "its my problem" ? ....just seems awkward and "out of nowhere to me.....

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by MaiTaiMan »

This episode was pretty good...and I voted it as such. The true friendship and caring for one another (with Magnum, Rick, and T.C.) was really portrayed in this, and it showed how far each one was willing to go for the other.

Sometimes it seemed T.C. went a little far "overboard" with his emotions, and telling Magnum and Rick to forget the situation and lay off...but that was sort of T.C.'s character. He and Rick both could be huge drama queens at times! LOL! :lol:

I also like how, despite the on-the-face bickering and silly insulting, the true friendship and respect Magnum and Higgins had for each other was shown and it was genuine.

The best part of this episode, is I believe it's the first one that had the real "Magnum" theme song, and not the goofy boring first one! :)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Magnum T. »

T.C. gets into trouble helping a guy, who saved his life in Vietnam, to enter into U.S. illegally.
Caught by USCG, he pleads guilty and roughly refuses any help from his buddies.
What T.C. doesn't know is that both he and his friend were used as drug smugglers.

A decent episode, the first one centered on T.C..
There are some nice scenes, like the one with Mac talking with a pretty girl about... pilots.
(I usually like everytime Mac is on the screen).
And this episode has one of the best "duet" between TM and Higgins.
It is made up of two parts: one is the darkroom scene and the other one at the end, when Higgins, clearly uncomfortable with the idea of Magnum leaving, uses the inventory excuse to make him stay.
That was a moving scene and very well performed too.

Plus:
- the above mentioned scenes between TM and Higgins.
- another "work the lock" situation.
- the Hyatt Regency.
Minus:
- the "Sarah affair". Though the scene is funny (with that green stuff Rick seems to like so much), anytime TM's sex-appeal is slapped on the screen, I feel like the character loses something.
- Mr. Mosley overacts here and there.
- it looks goofy that nobody inspected the helicopter before the auction.
Best line:
Higgins: Well, then I'm afraid... you'll just have to stay.

Notes:
- team ring on the left.
- first episode to use the Post/Carpenter's theme on the opening credits.
- first appearance of TM's gorilla mask.

Funny thing:
several people seem to dislike Sarah's voice. I like it instead :wink:.
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Yeah, this was the first one that really focused on T.C. It was pretty good, but like you said, and I mentioned earlier, Roger E. Mosley does tend to overact. I think he's supposed to be somewhat of a "hothead", but it sometimes comes off more humorous and silly.

I also like the Magnum and Higgins moments...awesome! I didn't really notice the team ring switching hands before, that's interesting. Did Magnum have it on the right before then switch it to the left? Having it on the left is kind of odd...since that's the "marriage" hand/finger. Usually you don't wear rings on your left hand unless it's your wedding ring.

This is the first one with the gorilla mask...true! LOL! :lol: That thing was so stupid but hilarious--especially when Magnum teases Higgins with it! :lol: :lol:
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Magnum T. »

I am trying to keep records about the team ring.
You can check all my previous (and future I hope) reviews.
If I am not wrong, in some episode the ring goes from one hand to the other, depending on the scene.
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Interesting...I wonder if some of the actors didn't care which finger/hand the ring was on and chose whichever one felt the most comfortable?

Oh well...I would LOVE to get a "Magnum" ring for myself! :wink: They are available, but most are expensive!! :o Maybe someday. :)

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Agatha on page 2 wrote:
This is one of my ALL TIME favorites! I hear you about Sarah and about the Coast Guard not searching confiscated helicopters but…for me…this episode is all about giving me a chance to get better acquainted with TC.
(...)
(...)
(...)
(...) This is the single most obvious indication so far that Higgins is beginning to have some respect Thomas and, I think, is one of the first times that it’s transparent enough for Thomas to recognize.

Nice! VERY nice!

:)
I sign that from the first word right through to the last!!!! Yes!!! Yes!! Yes!
I would have written all that, if Agatha hadn't written it before me. Got a 9.5 from me.

Love the "proper" Magnum theme tune. And I was curious all through the episode how they would turn the story so Magnum can stay. Nice solution!

Just one thing I have noticed which no-one else has mentioned yet (I think):
The name on the ship in the opening scene is clearly "Budapest". Yet later Magnum says it's the "Evelyn H"...

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Magnum T. »

Visiting Stewardess wrote: Just one thing I have noticed which no-one else has mentioned yet (I think):
The name on the ship in the opening scene is clearly "Budapest". Yet later Magnum says it's the "Evelyn H"...
Well, clearly I wouldn't say so (the scene is very dark :lol: ) but I checked and you are right, Hawkeye.
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Magnum T. wrote: Well, clearly I wouldn't say so (the scene is very dark :lol: ) but I checked and you are right, Hawkeye.
Thanks!

Now this was funny... M*A*S*H is another one of my TV obsessions and there's a character called "Hawkeye". For a moment I thought, what the h...?

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Magnum T. »

Funny indeed!
Didn't know about that character.
I think I haven't seen more than two or three episodes of M*A*S*H in all my life.
I don't know why, maybe I didn't understand that kind of humor when I was a child.
A couple of years ago I saw the movie and found it funny.
Maybe I could appreciate the series now.

Edit: I just remembered there is a short tv-series called "Hawkeye", starring Lynda Carter.
Never seen it (probably never broadcasted here in Italy), I have been waiting for years a R2 (UK) release.
Looks like I'll have to buy the US release.