No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 104

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#31 Post by J.J. Walters »

dergilb wrote:
James J. Walters wrote:Amy Crane plays a lovely classical piano piece at the beginning of this episode. Does anyone happen to know the name of the piece and/or the composer?

Here is an audio clip of the piece: http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/Piano_DSG.html
Hi JJ,

that piece only exits for that episode of Magnum PI. She played a different (but similar) piece (by Gabriel Fauré) during the filming, but later in post-production there were some right issues. So her playing was mimicked by someone, matching some of her fingerplay.

(I asked.)

DerGilb
Hi dergilb, welcome to the site!

That's very interesting about the piano piece. Any idea what the "similar" Faure piece is?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Little Garwood »

Agatha wrote:Nice review, Jay! As usual!

I happened to be watching Don't Say Goodbye today. I think Higgins says that the woman waiting on the phone wants Magnum "get his bod to the phone so I can breath heavy." His body...she wants him to get his body to the phone.

I think you're right about the life jackets. I don't remember noticing them before...and don't remember them wearing life jackets in any other episode either. Hmmmm. Maybe Higgins has one on when he jumps in to save Thomas in Home from the Sea. Now I'll have to watch THAT one again!!

This stuff is ADDICTIVE!!

:)
That's why this forum has proven to be the best classic TV show board I've ever been on. The amount of great trivia, fan knowledge, an engaging host (that's you, James!) and fans who eat up every bit of minutiae for love of MPI. Reading everyone's findings and then going back to see the episode is even more entertaining!
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Dewey
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Show cancelled

#33 Post by Dewey »

Im so bumed they took off the reruns of Magnum and put on ALl in the Family. So Im going to have to break down and purchase the Magnum box sets.

dergilb
Ensign

#34 Post by dergilb »

James J. Walters wrote:
Hi dergilb, welcome to the site!

That's very interesting about the piano piece. Any idea what the "similar" Faure piece is?
Thank you. Sorry, I don't know. Something in f-sharp minor would be my guess. Op. 50 has some similarities, but the key is different. If I find something, I'll post it here.
Never grieve a gully cat (Linus van Pelt)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#35 Post by J.J. Walters »

Film crew in the side-view mirror:

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#36 Post by Styles Bitchley »

J.J. Walters wrote:Film crew in the side-view mirror:

How on earth did you notice THAT James??? Are you watching episodes frame by frame these days? :lol:
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Donuts ensucrats
Rear Admiral

#37 Post by Donuts ensucrats »

He's watching the entire series in slow motion.It's a matter of time and patience.
Mare de Déu Senyor!!!!!!

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by Coops »

Actually, that looks like SelleckLover in the mirror, chasing down TS.

:D

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#39 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Nice catch James! You guys amaze me in your detail sometimes.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#40 Post by J.J. Walters »

Styles Bitchley wrote:How on earth did you notice THAT James??? Are you watching episodes frame by frame these days? :lol:
LOL! No, it wasn't me who spotted it. I'm not much of a "flub spotter". I've probably only found a handful myself. A guy from Italy named Giuseppe Raudino spotted it. ;)

Raudino
Ensign

#41 Post by Raudino »

J.J. Walters wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:How on earth did you notice THAT James??? Are you watching episodes frame by frame these days? :lol:
LOL! No, it wasn't me who spotted it. I'm not much of a "flub spotter". I've probably only found a handful myself. A guy from Italy named Giuseppe Raudino spotted it. ;)
Hi guys!
More flubs are about to come.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Coops »

Make sure they are REAL flubs or I'll be on you like a duck on a junebug!

:wink:

Raudino
Ensign

Benedetto Marcello

#43 Post by Raudino »

J.J. Walters wrote:Amy Crane plays a lovely classical piano piece at the beginning of this episode. Does anyone happen to know the name of the piece and/or the composer?

Here is an audio clip of the piece: http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/Piano_DSG.html
Hey Walters,

the piece is a variation of Benedetto Marcello's Adagio in C minor for Oboe and Orchestra. Here it is played with the piano: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI3rQTgFJfQ

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#44 Post by J.J. Walters »

That's it!! Thank you Raudino! I've been trying to ID this piece for forever!

I could be wrong, but it appears that this piece was composed by Benedetto's brother Alessandro.

Raudino
Ensign

#45 Post by Raudino »

J.J. Walters wrote:That's it!! Thank you Raudino! I've been trying to ID this piece for forever!

I could be wrong, but it appears that this piece was composed by Benedetto's brother Alessandro.
You are welcome!
You are right. The piece was the main theme of an Italian movie (Anonimo Veneziano) and since then it became widely known also among people not interested in classical music. It was credited to Benedetto, even though Alessandro seems to be the actual author.