5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 124

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: Beauty Knows No Pain (1.18)

#76 Post by K Hale »

308GUY wrote:
Warden95 wrote:Isn’t the heavy woman coming out of the water ahead of Magnum the real owner of Robin’s Nest,,,Eve Anderson?
Yes....you can see her in several shots during the swimming event.

Also...welcome aboard! :magnum:
Wait, seriously? That was Eve Anderson?
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#77 Post by Pahonu »

K Hale wrote:
308GUY wrote:
Warden95 wrote:Isn’t the heavy woman coming out of the water ahead of Magnum the real owner of Robin’s Nest,,,Eve Anderson?
Yes....you can see her in several shots during the swimming event.

Yup :D

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by K Hale »

Pahonu wrote:
K Hale wrote:
308GUY wrote: Yes....you can see her in several shots during the swimming event.

Yup :D
That is amazing!!
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#79 Post by K Hale »

golfmobile wrote:Now as to flubs in this episode, when Higgins follows everyone into the gardens, he stops and comments on the different flora. Now, really, as a flower/plant/flora aficianado/expert, wouldn't Higgins have been to these gardens in the past, if not frequently, and be highly familiar with what is available to be viewed there? You'd think from this scene that it was HIS first visit to the island -- "Fascinating . . . . " on the first one he stops and names. Even if he hadn't visited (which I really can't imagine), he would surely have read up on what was on display there, so why would it be "fascinating" to see it for real? If it were that interesting, wouldn't he have been to the gardens before now??
It was closed to the public. In the scene where Higgins and Babs present the bicycle to Magnum, Higgins mentions that he is envious of Magnum getting to ride through the gardens because the public isn't allowed in. So no, he had not been there before.

I watched this one the other day again and noticed that Eve Anderson is also seen in the running scenes, but not the bicycle scenes.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

#1 Buzzettes Fan
Lieutenant

#80 Post by #1 Buzzettes Fan »

I wanted to enjoy this episode with the great ironman subplot but I just can't get over the corny character playing the guest star. It's the same reaction I get to Carol Burnet or some of those other goofballs which were somewhat popular at the time. (I suppose it's hereditary becauae nobody in my family enjoys that overdone style of comedy.) Part of this was the writing itself because here again we have a client lying and playing games for no reason.
I made a count of 21 of the 162 (a full baseball season :) episodes that I don't find very funny or very good and this is one of them.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by KingKC »

#1 Buzzettes Fan wrote:I wanted to enjoy this episode with the great ironman subplot but I just can't get over the corny character playing the guest star. It's the same reaction I get to Carol Burnet or some of those other goofballs which were somewhat popular at the time. (I suppose it's hereditary becauae nobody in my family enjoys that overdone style of comedy.) Part of this was the writing itself because here again we have a client lying and playing games for no reason.
I made a count of 21 of the 162 (a full baseball season :) episodes that I don't find very funny or very good and this is one of them.
I would love to see the list of 21 that you did not like.

I have to agree with you to a certain extent. Carol Burnett as Susan Johnson and even Eugene Roche as Luther Gillis were two other over the top characterizations as well as Marcia Wallace in this episode. We have to remember, though, that nothing on TV, short of the news, is reality, not even the reality shows. It is all for entertainment and escapism. I have to admit that I thought Elmo Ziller was a funny episode but thought it went too far with Father Paddy and Don Luis Higgins. Absurdity is part of the escapism.

If you really want to push the issue I think there is just as much chance of there being a "Babs" or one of the others as there is a chance of there being a retired Naval Intelligence Officer playing private detective and living on a luxurious Hawaiian estate with a helicopter pilot buddy and a munitions expert managing a swanky country club.

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Higgins is hilarious in this episode, howling at "Honolulu Lulu's", taking pleasure in Magnum's training, walking off and telling one of his stories after Magnum turns around in the bike race, telling Magnum there's no way he can win the race after Magnum saves Roger. :lol:

My aunt competed in the Ironman in 2001. With the shape Magnum was in prior to the race (with relatively little training), it's a wonder he wasn't in even worse shape than he was at the end.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#83 Post by K Hale »

My favorite Higgins scene in this episode is when Magnum comes out of the water and Babs and the guys are drying him off and changing his clothes. Higgins stands by, obviously wanting to be a part of the team but not really having anything to do. So he decides to participate in his own way, by giving a lecture on the history of the marathon. You hear him droning on about the ancient Greeks as the team works on Magnum and shouts orders back and forth. Then he concludes with, "He shouted rejoice, rejoice, and dropped dead. There's a lesson there." The whole thing is so Higgins.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by perfectlykevin »

I've seen this episode, I don't know, at least 6 times and I love it everytime. I'm watching the series in order now. I love how everyone has a stake in getting Magnum through the race, each for their own purposes, yet they work as a team. I liked Bab's character, she was quirky and not the typical bombshell, but then again they world isn't just bombshells is it.

Sure the episode was on the silly side, but it is one of the things I love about MPI, it can be silly and serious and doesn't have apologize for being either one.

I watched this episode after the Digger Doyle episode, and Higgins seemed almost drugged like in Digger. Lost in his own world which wasn't quite in character but it really worked. :D

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by KingKC »

Excluding Seasons 7 and 8, both of which had episodes intended to be series finales, I think this was the best season finale. I would put I Witness in Season 4 as the second best and put the rest of them a distant third.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#86 Post by ENSHealy »

ANGLICO wrote:It drives me crazy that Magnum gets the distances wrong throughout the episode and that somehow in his world the run and bike portions get flipped.

In reality, the 1981 Iron Man was the first to move to Kona on the big island. I personally wish they would have left it in the original location, I hate change just for the sake of change. Anyway, it is a 2.4 mile swin, a 112 mile bike ride, and then a marathon.
Our man was just following the script:
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#87 Post by ENSHealy »

1.18 BEAUTY KNOWS NO PAIN
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Island Hopper shirts: 2 black crew shirts, TM’s riding jersey
Magnum Body Count:
Magnum gunshot wounds:
Shirtless: 2
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
Higgins musings: 1
4th wall breaks: 1
Negotiations:
Famous guest stars: 1 Marcia Wallace
Magnumometer: 8

Potential magnumania usernames: Babs

Not a great fan of this episode. I'm not a big fan of "over the top" characters, and Babs is definitely one of them. It does have some classic moments, however, like the speedo scene on the beach, and the cameo by Ms. Anderson.

On to season 2!
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#88 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi ENSHealy,
In this episode, I love the scene where Magnum having saved the day but with pistol still in hand takes a look at Higgins and gives serious consideration to blowing his head off. :lol:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Haole
Ensign

#89 Post by Haole »

Flub?
I noticed when the man kicking the hubcap/wheel of the car at the gas station there is a hand of a crew member waiting to drop the car, and as the man kicks the car, the crew member quickly lowers the car using the jack.
Could not see it being mentioned here so there you go.
Bluray version.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#90 Post by 308GUY »

Good catch....and welcome! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"