Season 1 General Discussion

Rate, review & discuss the episodes from the first season

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 1 General Discussion

#46 Post by Little Garwood »

Every time I hear the swirling-strings opening of Love's Theme by the Love Unlimited Orchestra, I think a first-season episode of Magnum, P.I. is starting! :D I daresay that that had Magnum debuted in, say, 1977, Ian Freebairn-Smith's theme would have dated the show in a way the Post-Carpenter theme does not, which was quite an accomplishment for the 1980s.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#47 Post by nha trang »

Hi guys,

It has been quite a while since I've had the chance to watch our favorite show, but with the show (minus season 6) on Amazon prime, I am starting from the beginning for a complete run through of the series for the second time. It looks like for the first time around I had posted on the episode message boards for a few episodes. I wish we were able to see our previous votes for an episode once we have voted.

So far I just watched 1.4. I am going to try to do a rank order of my favorites by season this time, so I don't think I will be posting much on the individual episodes unless I have something useful to say. As a bonus, there were two episodes on my DVD (can't remember which ones, one had Rick romancing a girl on the beach) that wouldn't play so due to watching it this go-round on streaming, perhaps I will get to see these two "lost episodes" provided that they aren't on Season 6!

Wanted to put this out there in case any other original Magnum fans wanted to take the plunge with me on watching or rewatching our favorite show...streaming free on Amazon prime!

Nha Trang

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#48 Post by nha trang »

My Season 1 ratings for my second complete series rewatch:
  • "10" - 1.1 and 1.2 "Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii" ; 1.3 "China Doll"
    "9" - 1.9 "Missing in Action"
    "8.5" - 1.10 "Lest We Forget" ; 1.11 "The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club" ; 1.16 "The Black Orchid" ; 1.17 "J. 'Digger' Doyle" ;
    1.18 "Beauty Knows No Pain"
    "8.0" - 1.5 "No Need to Know" ; 1.6 "Skin Deep" ; 1.7 "Never Again, Never Again" ; 1.13 "All Roads Lead to Floyd" ; 1.15 "Don't Say Goodbye"
    "7.5" - 1.12 "Thicker than Blood"
    "7.0" - 1.8 "The Ugliest Dog in Hawaii" ; 1.14 "Adelaide"
    "5.0" - 1.4 "Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too"

Average of at least 8.0 "Pretty Good" or better for Season 1 = 14/18 or 78%
    Average of at least 8.5 "Very Good" or better for Season 1 = 9/18 or 50%

Notes: The pilot movie is exactly that in my opinion, it is the Magnum P.I. movie we never got...China Doll might be my favorite episode of the show's run stylistically but I would like to note that I think both the Pilot (Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii) and China Doll have plots and pacing that is reminiscent of other television shows and movies (think 007) whereas the true Magnum P.I. show character was to develop in other episodes. I personally like episodes that reference Magnum's special forces connection but also the unique quirks that make Magnum who he is and what the Magnaverse is. This is why I think I rated "Missing in Action" a 9.0 - the ESP doesn't bother me, this is probably the first time in the series I can recall that the show acknowledges the existence of the paranormal...which when you think about it wasn't a necessary direction for the show to take.

I really enjoyed the first season, it starts with remarkably strong episodes and manages to quickly develop many of the routines and locations that will become characteristic of the show as well as beginning some solid character development. On the other hand, it offers up a handful of stinkers, the worst being 1.4's "Thank Heaven" I don't have to watch it again...
nha trang

Wilson_MacLeish
Lieutenant

#49 Post by Wilson_MacLeish »

Deleted for dbl post.
Last edited by Wilson_MacLeish on Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wilson_MacLeish
Lieutenant

#50 Post by Wilson_MacLeish »

Charge TV has started over with Season 1 episodes, and going right from Season 8 to 1 for the 1st time has allowed me to see the differences very clearly. I really think I like the earlier seasons better overall. The show is so much more pure, and exciting at this point.

I like the look of the Elks Club as the KK Club location much more as it actually looks like a fancier, more exclusive place than the fairly cheap and tacky look of the beach bar, and astroturf interior of later seasons. I like how the KK Club board can actually be seen in several scenes, and they have special jackets that other members and Higgins wear. Rick is frequently in a jacket as well, and mentions that you have to wear one after 6pm as a club rule. It's all more realistic and believable. I think the Robin Masters estate also looks larger and more opulent earlier on. I realize that it's mostly because different sets and set dressings were used before they settled into a groove, but I appreciate those differences.

The differences in the Magnum character are interesting as well. Obviously since Selleck is younger at this point, he is noticeably more physical. Diving on the ground to avoid shots, then popping right up and chasing after someone. He also seems much tougher and doesn't get beat up as often or easily. He is more often without a hat, and wears fewer aloha shirts. I like the greater variety in his wardrobe. More polo shirts, and sweaters. It's also pretty stunning how much thinner, and younger John Hillerman was in season 1. He had just a little bit more hair, and a little darker mustache. Even he was fairly physical earlier on, hopping fences and such.

Anyway, just some thoughts as I experience the show in a way I haven't before now.

https://ibb.co/23zzjzt

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Bonjour Wilson and welcome aboard !

I agree with all the findings you noticed. In 1988, the characters appeared to be darker, somewhat gloomy on a few instances... The scenarios too. IMO, T.C. is the one that kept his initial 'illusions' the most. Higgins seems to be more 'striken' by age. Rick became gradually more 'puffy' too.

That is one reason why my preference goes to the first three seasons, generaly speaking. The 1980-1983 era formed a kind of 'time capsule', a slightly distinctive universe in comparison with the ending seasons.

Nice pic of TM you got here, is that a retouched take ?

Best regards.
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Wilson_MacLeish wrote:Charge TV has started over with Season 1 episodes, and going right from Season 8 to 1 for the 1st time has allowed me to see the differences very clearly. I really think I like the earlier seasons better overall. The show is so much more pure, and exciting at this point.

I like the look of the Elks Club as the KK Club location much more as it actually looks like a fancier, more exclusive place than the fairly cheap and tacky look of the beach bar, and astroturf interior of later seasons. I like how the KK Club board can actually be seen in several scenes, and they have special jackets that other members and Higgins wear. Rick is frequently in a jacket as well, and mentions that you have to wear one after 6pm as a club rule. It's all more realistic and believable. I think the Robin Masters estate also looks larger and more opulent earlier on. I realize that it's mostly because different sets and set dressings were used before they settled into a groove, but I appreciate those differences.

The differences in the Magnum character are interesting as well. Obviously since Selleck is younger at this point, he is noticeably more physical. Diving on the ground to avoid shots, then popping right up and chasing after someone. He also seems much tougher and doesn't get beat up as often or easily. He is more often without a hat, and wears fewer aloha shirts. I like the greater variety in his wardrobe. More polo shirts, and sweaters. It's also pretty stunning how much thinner, and younger John Hillerman was in season 1. He had just a little bit more hair, and a little darker mustache. Even he was fairly physical earlier on, hopping fences and such.

Anyway, just some thoughts as I experience the show in a way I haven't before now.

Great points! I agree with you. There's something special about the first season. Typically I prefer the 1st season of almost all my favorite shows. There's a certain freshness about those inaugural seasons. I know many people prefer for a show to find its legs (often around season 2 or 3) but I tend to like my favorite shows most at the very beginning. I feel the same way about the original HAWAII FIVE-O. While the show was at its peak during seasons 5 and 6 (and those are excellent seasons indeed) I tend to gravitate towards season 1. It just has that late 60s "trouble in paradise" type of feel to it. Very fresh, very cutting edge for its time. Everyone is full of energy and Jack Lord was never better than during that first season. He's like a firecracker!

The same is true during the first season of MAGNUM. There's a freshness to it. It doesn't quite feel very 80s yet. It still has a slight feel of the late 70s in it, especially with the original theme by Ian Freebairn-Smith (which I like more and more). It's very different from the more action-heavy and 80s sounding theme by Mike Post and Pete Carpenter (which is a classic of course). I'm also surprised by how strong some of those early episodes are - the pilot, No Need to Know, Skin Deep, Never Again...Never Again. Those are some of my favorite episodes in the entire series, never mind season 1. Only 7 episodes in and we already got those 4 classics - man, that's something!!!

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Great points! I agree with you. There's something special about the first season. Typically I prefer the 1st season of almost all my favorite shows. There's a certain freshness about those inaugural seasons. I know many people prefer for a show to find its legs (often around season 2 or 3) but I tend to like my favorite shows most at the very beginning. I feel the same way about the original HAWAII FIVE-O. While the show was at its peak during seasons 5 and 6 (and those are excellent seasons indeed) I tend to gravitate towards season 1. It just has that late 60s "trouble in paradise" type of feel to it. Very fresh, very cutting edge for its time. Everyone is full of energy and Jack Lord was never better than during that first season. He's like a firecracker!

The same is true during the first season of MAGNUM. There's a freshness to it. It doesn't quite feel very 80s yet. It still has a slight feel of the late 70s in it, especially with the original theme by Ian Freebairn-Smith (which I like more and more). It's very different from the more action-heavy and 80s sounding theme by Mike Post and Pete Carpenter (which is a classic of course). I'm also surprised by how strong some of those early episodes are - the pilot, No Need to Know, Skin Deep, Never Again...Never Again. Those are some of my favorite episodes in the entire series, never mind season 1. Only 7 episodes in and we already got those 4 classics - man, that's something!!!

Kak diela, Ivan ? :wink:

I share totally your opinion concerning season 1. Moreover, too good you mentioned Ian Freebairn-Smith main theme since i am convinced it was poorly underrated compared to Post/carpenter more rythmic/lively famous tune. Actually, some years ago, i used to go for a little ride on the countryside with my little sportcar and i usually to load that perticular piece o music for 'cornering' a little bit... 8) But that was before fatherhood ! :lol:
The early overture was quite nice too, with this multiple windowed framing... It was obviously a legacy from the 70's or even the 60's (Mannix, Thomas Crown affair...).

thanks for reading ! :D

Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Gorilla Mask wrote:

I share totally your opinion concerning season 1. Moreover, too good you mentioned Ian Freebairn-Smith main theme since i am convinced it was poorly underrated compared to Post/carpenter more rythmic/lively famous tune. Actually, some years ago, i used to go for a little ride on the countryside with my little sportcar and i usually to load that perticular piece o music for 'cornering' a little bit... 8) But that was before fatherhood ! :lol:
The early overture was quite nice too, with this multiple windowed framing... It was obviously a legacy from the 70's or even the 60's (Mannix, Thomas Crown affair...).

Harasho, my school-boy friend with your school-boy tricks.

There was also the disco music playing in the club scene with "Snow White" in the pilot. Of course that was pure 70s! Freebairn-Smith's MPI theme is definitely perfect for a nice countryside drive. Very breezy and easy-going. Reminds you of a simpler time. :)

Very good point about the framing of the opening titles for the pilot, seen through the Cross of Lorraine. I didn't even think about it but now that you mention MANNIX and THOMAS CROWN it definitely hearkens back to the late 60s. Very retro! Very cool!

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by Gorilla Mask »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:
Gorilla Mask wrote:

Harasho, my school-boy friend with your school-boy tricks.

There was also the disco music playing in the club scene with "Snow White" in the pilot. Of course that was pure 70s! Freebairn-Smith's MPI theme is definitely perfect for a nice countryside drive. Very breezy and easy-going. Reminds you of a simpler time. :)

Very good point about the framing of the opening titles for the pilot, seen through the Cross of Lorraine. I didn't even think about it but now that you mention MANNIX and THOMAS CROWN it definitely hearkens back to the late 60s. Very retro! Very cool!

Yes concerning that (quite marked IMO) disco tune, i am beginning a compedium of all the (worthy) background musics from the episodes since there are only a selection of it on the website ! :wink:

Edit: And yes, Ivan you are, and you will remain, my favorite guide for outing in the South East Asia jungle ! haaa, such a good moisted air... behind our beloved bamboo bars... :shock:

Wilson_MacLeish
Lieutenant

#56 Post by Wilson_MacLeish »

Gorilla Mask wrote:Bonjour Wilson and welcome aboard !

I agree with all the findings you noticed. In 1988, the characters appeared to be darker, somewhat gloomy on a few instances... The scenarios too. IMO, T.C. is the one that kept his initial 'illusions' the most. Higgins seems to be more 'striken' by age. Rick became gradually more 'puffy' too.

That is one reason why my preference goes to the first three seasons, generaly speaking. The 1980-1983 era formed a kind of 'time capsule', a slightly distinctive universe in comparison with the ending seasons.

Nice pic of TM you got here, is that a retouched take ?

Best regards.
Aloha, and Hi guys! Thank you for the welcome. I think your 80-83 assessment is spot on. After that, there is a series of shifts that seem to take place. Yeah the pic is a bit too retouched for my liking.

Wilson_MacLeish
Lieutenant

#57 Post by Wilson_MacLeish »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:
Wilson_MacLeish wrote:Charge TV has started over with Season 1 episodes, and going right from Season 8 to 1 for the 1st time has allowed me to see the differences very clearly. I really think I like the earlier seasons better overall. The show is so much more pure, and exciting at this point.

That is something that struck me about season 1 of Magnum this time too...the strength of several episodes is very high. My personal favorite is Lest We Forget. I was always blown away by the casting of June Lockheart and Jose Ferrer's children to play them in the flashbacks! Even the episodes I originally wrote off as "bad" are actually pretty great. Particularly The Ugliest Dog In Hawaii, and Beauty Knows No Pain. The latter episode in particular has some of the best character moments from each cast member, and seems to be the point when each actor had solidified the nuances of their characters to head into Season 2 firing on all cylinders.

Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Wilson_MacLeish wrote:
IvanTheTerrible wrote:

That is something that struck me about season 1 of Magnum this time too...the strength of several episodes is very high. My personal favorite is Lest We Forget. I was always blown away by the casting of June Lockheart and Jose Ferrer's children to play them in the flashbacks! Even the episodes I originally wrote off as "bad" are actually pretty great. Particularly The Ugliest Dog In Hawaii, and Beauty Knows No Pain. The latter episode in particular has some of the best character moments from each cast member, and seems to be the point when each actor had solidified the nuances of their characters to head into Season 2 firing on all cylinders.
I agree about the "bad" episodes. First time I saw "Ugliest Dog" I thought it was pretty awful. Didn't care for "Beauty Knows No Pain" either. Or "All Roads Lead to Floyd" or several others, including "Curse of King Kam Club" or "Adelaide". Ok, I still don't care for "Adelaide" but I don't think I can label any season 1 episode as outright bad. Not even "Thank Heaven for Little Girls". I guess "Adelaide" would be my least favorite at this point but it's still watchable. I think every season 1 episode that I originally labeled bad has risen in my appreciation over the years. Even when the main story sucks there's still individual scenes that are endearing and any subplot involving Higgins always saves the day. In the case of "Ugliest Dog" I now appreciate the jungle trek while being pursued by the mobster and running into the marijuana growers - great stuff! The stuff around the Makai Pier is good too. As for "Beauty Knows No Pain" I like this one MUCH better now, particularly Magnum training for the Iron Man Triathlon and his interactions with Higgins. Classic stuff!

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by Gorilla Mask »

I had wholly the same guessing about season 1. However i still have 'difficulties' with "Beauty knows no pain" and "Thanks Heavens for Little girls..." : The first because i just can't bear (that is my feel...) Marcia Wallace, the last because of the sloppy plot.

For the best season 1 opus , i am still projected to my childhood with "Lest we Forget" and i agree that the idea to guest both son/father and mom/daughter actors was awesome idea. The best plot and paced scenario is still "China doll" and the best twist goes to "Never again... never again".

K Shaun
Ensign

#60 Post by K Shaun »

Wilson_MacLeish wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:48 am Charge TV has started over with Season 1 episodes, and going right from Season 8 to 1 for the 1st time has allowed me to see the differences very clearly. I really think I like the earlier seasons better overall. The show is so much more pure, and exciting at this point.

well described summary, i like the way you put the little details like wardrobe, polo shirts and sweaters.