It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:05 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Magnum actor suggestion
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:36 pm 
Admiral

Okay, I have a friend who is also a Magnum fan. We were talking about the show and he suggested an actor for the Magnum movie. His thought process was basically trying to find an actor who fit into some criteria that would be needed to play Magnum. In no particular order:
1) star power
2) acting chops
3) sex appeal :oops:
4) comidic ability
5) self depricating
6) believable as ex-Navy Seal

Based on this he suggested.......

Will Smith. I thought about it and couldn't disagee. Smith could pull it off. Thoughts? And yes, I agree that Selleck would be better, but apparently he isn't an option at this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:26 pm 
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

Well, he bombed as "The Wild, Wild West," so personally I don't see it at all. I like him in the proper vehicle (e.g., "Independence Day"), but Magnum didn't wear earrings!! Will Smith does -- personally, UGH!!

I still vote for Brendan Fraser (TM), Omar Epps (TC -- he's such a good whiner in "House," he'd fit right into the TC mold), Matthew Perry as Rick, and Alan Rickman as Higgins.

But then we all have our own opinions on this subject. . . . .

This is, OF COURSE, since we can't have original cast, ALWAYS first choice!

golf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:34 pm 
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

As long as we're voting...I vote for Eric Dane as TM (McSteamy on Grey's Anatomy), LLCool J as TC, have to go with golf's pick of Matthew Perry as Rick also, but my pick for Higgins would be Bob Hoskins. JMHO! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:02 pm 
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

I agree with using the original cast!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:59 pm 
Fleet Admiral

as posted in another thread........Gerard Butler.......plenty macho as King Leonidas in '300' and has a softer/comedic side.........as in P.S., I love you (chickflick). He can do an American accent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:19 pm 
Fleet Admiral

Taking all six of your requirements into account, especially the self deprecating, humorous qualities, the only Actor I come up with is George Clooney. Of course I vote for the original cast first.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:28 am 
MPI

Only one for me would be Michael Ballack. To bad he is German and no actor, but when he quits playing soccer and starts to think about a second career that man is the only one who has the looks IMO. No, really I am serious!! Now I have to try to upload a pic....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:47 pm 
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

Steve, I think Clooney would be a decent choice. If they are dead set on making this movie I think I'd rather see him than anyone else, and I believe I have stated that here somewhere before. I just hope the casting is done to mimic to original as much as possible instead of making another slapstick comedy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:21 pm 
Fleet Admiral

a spoof might be the only option...........the series fans are up in arms about no Selleck.........and with the failure of Miami Vice..........and success of Starsky & Hutch.........do the math.

all in all..........I wouldn't expect a serious drama/action flick..............I'd lean more towards Beverly Hills Cop style......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:05 pm 
Ultimate Magnum PI Fan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Steve wrote:
. . . George Clooney . . .

Oh

my

GOD!!!

I think he's a bit to smarmy for the part. I actually thought of all the names out there, Mcconaughey was a decent choice. His acting chops are understated (I thought he was very good in A Time to Kill) and he's got the confident, kid-like, strong, yet vulnerable thing going on. I think he would be decent.

As for the rest . . .

Bernie Mac probably would have been a good TC. Maybe Ving Rhames?
Rick . . . I always thought this was a really tough casting. How do not make him too much of a joke? Maybe Luke Wilson.
Higgins is also very difficult because of, well, he's Higgins!!!!! Bob Hoskins is probably a very good choice here.

Last edited by ConchRepublican on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next