any news?

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Seaver41 »

I love Tom Selleck as much as the next guy............but it is asking a lot for a movie studio to pony up big dough for anctors are well past their prime...........Roger E. Mosley is 70.........7-0..........that just won't sell. Selleck/Magnum was largely sold on his good looks.....with the acting being the bonus that gave the show life and kept it alive all those years.......but the best we can hope for to see the original cast is a tv movie. You won't find a movie studio gambling the bucks on a senior citizen cast based on characters that were successful 30 years ago. This has been a tough realization I have had to accept.

As for a remake...........it's doomed to fail. The show was Tom Selleck. Much like Miami Vice was Don Johnson and Phillip Michael
Thomas......that movie had no shot as well.

But it appears they insist on doing this.......so that being the case my vote for Magnum would be Gerard Butler.......the guy from the movie 300.....he has a playful side like Selleck brought to the character.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#12 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Welcome to the site Tom Terrific! I think the TV movie would appease almost all on this board. Give us that and forget the big production film!

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Seaver41 »

any chance a bad movie prompts a 'makeup' tv movie? It's apparent Selleck still pulls weight in the tv world with the Jesse Stone series of tv movies.........I would imagine he could get a tv movie done. Correct me if wrong, but I believe it was Tom all those years who refused to do a reunion Magnum on the small screen. Has anyone gauged his opinion recently?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

Seaver41 wrote:any chance a bad movie prompts a 'makeup' tv movie? It's apparent Selleck still pulls weight in the tv world with the Jesse Stone series of tv movies.........I would imagine he could get a tv movie done. Correct me if wrong, but I believe it was Tom all those years who refused to do a reunion Magnum on the small screen. Has anyone gauged his opinion recently?
Yeah, that's true Seaver41. I believe he even turned down a couple of offers to do a TV movie. He kept holding out for a big screen adaptation, which sadly never happened. He almost had one greenlighted with Tom Clancy writing the script, but Universal had a "suits shakeup" and they changed their minds. It's been frustrating to say the least!

It's not too late for a small screen reunion, though. Roger and Larry still look great. I can only hope that I look as good as Roger does at 70. Unfortunately, John has been in ill-health for a while now (exactly how bad, I don't know). I don't see why we can't have both - the theatrical release AND the original cast TV movie. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

higgybaby1
Lieutenant Commander

#15 Post by higgybaby1 »

I just noticed imdb.com has the Magnum Movie slated for 2011 now.....anyone have insight on that?
OH MY GAWD!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#16 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Let's hope they keep pushing it back to where, eventually, they will lose interest in doing the movie!