Magnum P.I. the movie

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#46 Post by Italian Ice »

Small screen deal. I can live with that.

TV movies are usually better than the "Hollywood" stuff anyway...
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by Steve »

Bottom of the 9th, we are down 5-3 with two on, TS is up to bat with a count of 1 and 3..Swing away Tom, swing away!!!!!!

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by MPS »

Small screen, big screen...just to see TS play Magnum once more...WOW. Keeping the old fingers crossed :!: :!:
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

paperwar
Commander

#49 Post by paperwar »

That would be the best decision one of the major studios ever made regarding a revival of a 80`s Tv series.

I would be so so happy to see tom come back.

I am quite sure Hillmeran won`t be in, cause he's retired since many years now and he mentioend a few times that he doesn't want to
work anymore in the film business...

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#50 Post by golfmobile »

I don't see TS' directing whatever may be put together. He's always Executive Producer on the projects he works in -- was that position with later MPIs and is that on the Jesse Stone movies.

HOWEVER, Roger Mosely directed some MPIs, so maybe he could act and direct? Would that cut down on costs (probably not enough)? Combine two jobs with one person to perform them, for only, maybe 1.5 times the salary instead of 2 salaries?

However, I would think Mosely and Manetti would do it almost free, just to get back out there in the public eye so something else might come along. Or they would get residuals from it too, wouldn't they? Of course, they may be happily retired and currently living on their residuals, but actors always want to act (except Mr. Hillerman, apparently). (And directors to direct, for Mosely?)

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#51 Post by Doc Ibold »

I think R.E.M. only directed once, and that was back in like 1987, so I doubt that production companies are banging down his door for him to direct this.

(Sorry to be a Debbie Downer!)

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Seaver41 »

I have to concur...............direction of a movie or tv version won't be put in the hands of anyone but a uber-qualified individual..................and therein lies the catch 22...........it costs money to get those people. everything still comes back to whether or not studio suits 'believe' a geriatric Magnum cast can make enough money. Movement to date suggests the feeling is 'no'.

You would think the Jesse Stone series is a good 'guide' in how to use Selleck.

the apprentice
Lieutenant Commander

#53 Post by the apprentice »

i would not watch it with out the o.g cast. do we really need another spooff like starky & hutch? boy that was a upgrade.. :roll:
magnum, i do say

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#54 Post by golfmobile »

Welcome, the apprentice!!

Glad to see a new member jumping right in there and posting (and agreeing with most us that the movie without the original cast would be -- well, it just wouldn't BE Magnum, P.I.).

Tell us about you and how you developed your fondness for our favorite 1980s, Hawaii-based, private investigator show.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

the apprentice
Lieutenant Commander

#55 Post by the apprentice »

i started watching the show when i was a teen and have loved it ever since. got to love ex military buds hanging out and getting into new trouble. fast car, sweet estate , pretty wemon and a job every boy would want . its easy to see why this show is so sucsessful and the mass of us want to see more. im 32 now and still love it. i had to watch las vegas " lemon bars" and to see the guys back together made me proud..and wanting to see more.. :cry:
magnum, i do say

TankTop44
Commander

#56 Post by TankTop44 »

I will jump in as well, I am a little older than apprentice, but I remember watching the show. I ran across in tv last year and started to DVR every episode and loved it! I use the ringtone on my phone and get funny looks now and agian! Nothing like that 80's style and fashion. It makes me want to get some short shorts and starting wearing them around.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by Seaver41 »

the apprentice wrote:i would not watch it with out the o.g cast. do we really need another spooff like starky & hutch? boy that was a upgrade.. :roll:
no, but at least there was the payoff at the end seeing the originals.....and in seeing them........it was clear they couldn't pull off a story on their own.......David Soul was overweight.

....but in the case of Magnum.........we now know Selleck wants in and that will draw a battle line with fans..........anything less is doomed to fail.....but if Selleck were included-even in a supporting spot-it would stand a better chance of success than freezing him out.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by Seaver41 »

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... the_b.html

maybe this helps Selleck's case........MacGyver is coming to the big screen with Richard Dean Anderson.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#59 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Let's hope that will help TS get the movie part. Too bad the brass don't see him as a no brainer!

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#60 Post by Italian Ice »

I saw someone post this on the Facebook Group...

IS THIS TRUE !?!?!?

Call of the dogs; the rostrum is complete!!

Magnum PI : Trouble In Paradise
(2011 - Universal Studios)

Starring...

Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Thomas Sullivan Magnum
George Eads as Rick Orville Wright
Cuba Gooding Jr as Theodore "TC" Calvin (Ooohhh Controversial!!)
and
Derek Jacobi as Johnathon Quayle Higgins.
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "