It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Reply from Larry Manetti
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:54 pm 
Rear Admiral

The other day, I felt like voicing my opinion about this whole movie thing to someone who might listen. Here is my email and LM's reply. Can't believe he took the time to write...

Mr. Manetti,

Being a 28-year fan of Magnum P.I., it was quite disappointing to hear that Matthew McConaughey might be cast as Magnum in an upcoming movie. You and the rest of the original cast are at the perfect age right now to make this movie. Fans would even prefer an original cast TV movie over a new cast motion picture. Certainly, between your clout and Tom Selleck's clout an original cast film could get a green light.

Please give the fans and the show's legacy what they deserve. Please talk to Mr. Selleck, Mr. Hilllerman, and Mr. Mosley and push to get this thing done. We all want to know what the "gang" is up to after 20 years.

Sincerely,
Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the great e-mail.

We have no control over the movie. Brian Grazer at Universal Studios is
the one to have fans e-mail. As far as I know, not much has happened yet and Mattew has not confirmed it yet.

There is still a chance for all of us in the original show!!

Thanks for your support.

Your pal,

Larry

James, perhaps we (Magnum Mania) need to petition Brian Grazer collectively. Just a thought...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:58 pm 
Rear Admiral

Thanks for sharing this email. If the new Indiana Jones movie does well (with its allowance for Harrison Ford to be older in the title role), it could make the studio more inclined to let the original cast do the MPI movie as well. Some early reviews of Indiana Jones praise the movie for harkening back to an 80's style of special effects.

S&F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:21 pm 
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

tidal,

That's great that you wrote him and he answered. Sad to hear he and TS can exercise enough clout to get through to Grazer.

James, is there any way you could find a way for us to get in touch with this Grazer guy -- email (which might be ignored too easily "delete," "delete") or even a mailing address so we could do some major mail-in requests? I for one would be happy to print off a letter if I knew where to send it.

I hadn't thought of the Indiana Jones movie as an encouragement to do MPI with the original guys, but now that such has been pointed out, I think it's a very good point -- and maybe one worth making to Grazer!! Granted, our 250 members here are hardly an overwhelming "audience base," but I think the fact that something like this exists at all, not to mention all the other forums from TV sites, etc., where people are always discussing MPI (though, of course, this is the best place), should show Universal that the ORIGINAL is what counts. For example, I don't know of a lot of Miami Vice or Starsky&Hutch forums! (though they may be there . . . .)

Though I would love to see ALL of the original cast, I could live without Higgins ONLY BECAUSE HE WOULDN'T WANT TO DO IT. Maybe he's just not strong enough. But there should certainly be flashbacks to him, which would feed our Jones for the character, if that's all we could get. That's why I still think the best plotline is to have Magnum solve Higgins' murder (which makes an excuse for him not to be there "in person" but only in flashbacks).

Let's figure out a way to write to Brian Grazer and then we'll know we've certainly given it our best shot.

You think?

golf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:32 pm 
Rear Admiral

golfmobile wrote:
Let's figure out a way to write to Brian Grazer and then we'll know we've certainly given it our best shot.

Count me in, golf! :wink:

When LM said, "There is still a chance for all of us in the original show!!", I wonder if he knows more than he can share? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:53 pm 
Founding Father

Another class act from the show, Larry Manetti. ;)

golf, sorry I have no clue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:49 pm 
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

I couldn't find an email address but I did find this:

Brian Grazer
Imagine Entertainment
9465 Wilshire Blvd., Seventh Floor
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:06 pm 
Rear Admiral

Count me in for the letter writing campaign!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:31 pm 
Rear Admiral

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:
I couldn't find an email address but I did find this:

Brian Grazer
Imagine Entertainment
9465 Wilshire Blvd., Seventh Floor
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Good PI work, IKWYT!

James, since we don't have Brian Grazer's email, how about starting a new petition thread and "stick" it at the top of the forum? We will all sign it and then you can send a letter to him with a hard copy of the thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:37 pm 
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

If James doesn't want to do the mailing, I'll be happy to do so. If he can just set it up so I can print it, I'll be happy to pay the postage to mail whatever we think will help!

Good work, fellow magnum-maniacs, in finding where to send a petition and determining how to set it up so we can "sign it," print it, and send it, all with our virtual signatures!

I can't see how it could do any HARM, do you? And it might be our only chance to "be heard" by the "powers that be." If we just continue to post here, who's to know what we're thinking if we don't TELL them/him?

golf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:37 pm 
Founding Father

There is actually already an online petition, with over 2300 sigs so far:

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/ ... magnumpi&1

But I can certainly set up a thread here if you want.