POLL: Magnum, P.I. Motion Picture

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Will you go and see a Magnum, P.I. motion picture if it does not include the original cast in their original roles?

NO, never.
41%
MAYBE. It depends on who is cast as Magnum, Higgins, Rick and TC.
20%
MAYBE, if Tom Selleck and/or other original cast members appear in cameos.
16%
YES. I will go and see the Magnum, P.I. movie regardless of who is cast as Magnum, Higgins, Rick and TC.
23%

Total votes: 44

Vanity
Rear Admiral

#21 Post by Vanity »

I simply do not see any reason why there should be a movie called Magnum PI, if it is out of place, out of time and out of core essentatials.
MPI is a state of mind, the original cast undoubtfully contributed to it. The set, the Ferrari (not any Ferrari), Robin's nest, the chopper (not any other one).... remove any of these elements, remove the original guys behind the scene who created the stories, and all you'll end up with, in my opinion, just an average movie. But MPI was not just a TV serie, and that's what makes it so special. So just a movie is just not good enough either. I'll skip.
I know what you're thinking...

sophia
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by sophia »

Vanity,
I totally agree!!!!!!! :x

Vanity
Rear Admiral

#23 Post by Vanity »

Thanks Sophia.
Guess I'll just hold on to my MPI DVD's and I'll rather watch Jesse Stone rather than a none Selleck Magnum
I know what you're thinking...

spencenator
Ensign

#24 Post by spencenator »

Exactly, look what happened when the Miami Vice movie was made with different actors. Bad movie

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Coops »

Vanity wrote:I simply do not see any reason why there should be a movie called Magnum PI, if it is out of place, out of time and out of core essentatials.
MPI is a state of mind, the original cast undoubtfully contributed to it. The set, the Ferrari (not any Ferrari), Robin's nest, the chopper (not any other one).... remove any of these elements, remove the original guys behind the scene who created the stories, and all you'll end up with, in my opinion, just an average movie. But MPI was not just a TV serie, and that's what makes it so special. So just a movie is just not good enough either. I'll skip.
I couldn't have said it better myself. MPI is more than just a tv show, much, much more.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#26 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I've said it several times... They will screw this movie up. It is going to be some cheesy spoof like Starskey and Hutch and it is going to be unbearable. I really wish it would pick up with the rel cast in current time, but we know there is no chance of that happening.

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

I agree with Vanity -- Magnum was a state of mind -- a "happening."

I voted "Maybe, if there are cameos" in the poll, but I'd probably go see it (out of morbid curiosity) once it hit the dollar theaters.

Speaking of absolutely dreadful remakes -- did anyone else see The Legend of the Lone Ranger? Christopher Lloyd (whom I dearly love in other roles) played Butch Cavendish, which just about says it all. It was more like The Wild, Wild West.
Carol

tshoffie
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#28 Post by tshoffie »

nope because in my eyes no one can do these characters like the original cast....After the god awful so called Miami Vice movie...i will not go to see a movie based on Magnum or any other classic show i loved unless its the original cast members

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#29 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I know they are going to butcher this, but I'd maybe watch if they had cameo's. I think this is going to be an unbearable film!

Icepick
Admiral

#30 Post by Icepick »

The thought of this movie not being what we know it should be makes me feel sick to my stomach and it's something I try to avoid thinking about. I can't for the life of me imagine what intolerable pain it's going to be around the time this movie comes out.

Part of me will want to see it for the simple fact it's Magnum oriented, which normally we would be clambering to see, but on the other hand it's not the MPI we know and love and we will just point out and observe every little mistake and nuance that doesn't fit. I think it could be aggravating.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by lutherhgillis »

No way! The MPI series was as much about the people who played the characters as about the characters. Without the people, there is no show.

I still think they should use the original actors and bring in the new action-oriented crowd as relatives of the original crew. They could create characters around Lily, Bryant, Rick and Cleo's kids, Higgins' nephews and nieces, and so on.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#32 Post by golfmobile »

Luther,

I agree with you -- that's why I suggested the folks from Las Vegas to play the kids -- they already have a little "history" with TS -- and I haven't seen any of them working anywhere else since (though I can do without the pregnant chick and the Sam character -- talk about annoying!!!) (Wait, I did see "Sam" -- Marci What's-Her-Name on a surfboard, I think, in a "come to California" commercial . . . . )

golf
"Portside, buddy."

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by lutherhgillis »

Thanks for your kind words, Golf.

I feel like the opportunity for an MPI movie has come and gone. If they had done the movie in the late 90s with the original cast, it would have been a winner. To do the movie now with no originals would simply be an attempt to cash in on a big name from another time. It would be like Taylor Hicks from Americn Idol touring under the name Frank Sinatra. A very, very pale impersonation.

Best regards,

Luther