Latest Movie "News"

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

eegorr
Vice Admiral

#16 Post by eegorr »

James J. Walters wrote:Gosh I hope not! I'll tell you right now, if he wears a Cowboys hat I flat out WILL NOT see the movie! ;)
I'll bet you would watch it on cable! :lol:

eegorr
Vice Admiral

Re: Movie thoughts

#17 Post by eegorr »

Pete Walkup wrote:Last, I must say I am disappointed with Tyrese as TC. I thought that a good choice would have been Michael Clark Duncan from The Green Mile. He has the vulnerability that TC often demonstrated without the 'over the top' cockiness of an actor like Tyrese.
Early in the series T.C. was very cocky (it is amazing to watch the first episodes right after the shows from seasons 7 and 8), but, I agree that Gibson is not the right choice for this role. For one thing, he is too young -- he would have been twelve during the Gulf War!

eegorr
Vice Admiral

#18 Post by eegorr »

Gritty wrote:Zahn, Tyrese and McConaughey are more in the same age range I believe.
Tyrese is about ten years younger than the other two, born in 1978 -- just before Magnum hit the airwaves!

Zahn was born in 1967 and McConaughey was born in 1969, so they probably watched Magnum as teenagers, if they were allowed to stay up that late!

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#19 Post by Shermy »

eegorr wrote:You are close, but, IMHO, the central theme to the show was the comradery of a group of buddies who shared life threatening experiences and literally owe their lives to each other.
This was definitely a major recurring theme, as the show constantly portrayed the effects of war- no matter who the soldier (or war) happened to be.

But I do think that Vietnam was a key aspect of the Magnum character. It was the cynicism, bureaucracy, and futility of that war that drove him to the carefree lifestyle he led. Any war could account for the loyalty he felt toward his friends, but not for the frustration he displayed when confronted with red tape or a "need to know" basis. This wasn't just a character who felt he had served his country and put it behind him, but one who despised the very thought of having to put a uniform on again.
Last edited by Shermy on Sat May 19, 2007 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eegorr
Vice Admiral

#20 Post by eegorr »

According to this article, in the movie, Magnum, Rick, and T.C. are veterans of the Iraq war, not the Gulf war:
McConaughey Is "Magnum P.I."?

eegorr
Vice Admiral

#21 Post by eegorr »

Shermy wrote:It was the cynicism, bureaucracy, and futility of that war that drove him to the carefree lifestyle he led. Any war could account for the loyalty he felt toward his friends, but not for the frustration he displayed when confronted with red tape or a "need to know" basis. This wasn't just a character who felt he had served his country and put it behind him, but one who despised the very thought of having to put a uniform on again.
Yeah, I'll bet nobody coming back from Iraq these days feels that way! :lol:

Hopefully it will have a better ending.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#22 Post by Shermy »

eegorr wrote:Yeah, I'll bet nobody coming back from Iraq these days feels that way! :lol:
But would the filmmakers really want to go that route- especially if the war is still going on?

Vietnam also had the draft, which led to people being "33 without ever having been 23". Magnum spent his youth in combat, which created the show's theme of arrested adolescence. Of course, this is one aspect which probably won't have the same impact today- no matter what direction the film takes. As grapeshot pointed out, Magnum's carefree lifestyle really wouldn't raise too many eyebrows in today's society.

TMoustache
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#23 Post by TMoustache »

So, it seems that I'll prefer things like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5Q4bqXymKk
to all this project to destroy everything from the original.
I can't believe it.
"Now I know what you're thinking..."

higgybaby1
Lieutenant Commander

#24 Post by higgybaby1 »

Heres food for thought...
I think that perhaps a twist on the sequence of events would be kinda cool, such as Magnum(selleck) overseeing the estate while a new "magnum" moves in and creates a role reversal
OH MY GAWD!

mekabo31
Ensign

#25 Post by mekabo31 »

Uggh...I'm new to the board, but I have to say I don't like the idea of Matthew M. as Magnum. I just think he's become a parody of himself...you know, stoner, surfer dude.

I haven't read through other threads, but if they have to do this movie my vote is for Clive Owen or Eric Bana. I know they aren't Americans, but Hillerman wasn't English. :D I just think those two have the man's man look to them. I would believe they've seen combat. I would believe they could grow facial hair. I actually like William H. Macy as Higgins...he's a good actor. Tyrese would be horrible for TC. He's an ex-model pretty boy. I also think Zahn would be a decent Rick. He did a good job in that Vietnam era movie with Christian Bale(blanking on the name). Oh well...what do I know?
"I heard a ruuuuumooooor! Mexican werewolves are coming up from Mexico and selling CRACK!"

Apollo
Lieutenant

#26 Post by Apollo »

I agree with most of the posts that this cast selection is not the best. I do think however that even a less than ideal attempt at the movie is good for us (the fans), due to the publicity and interest it will create.

sophia
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by sophia »

I say, they can call it "Magnum PI" but without the original cast it will be
a lame attempt to bring back memories of such a great show. I think that is what a movie remake of a beloved show should try to do. No one can replace Thomas William Selleck or the atmosphere from the original cast.
So why do they try, I ask? :x I for one will not waste my money to go see it.
If we can't have the real thing then I' ll settle for my Magnum PI collection.
At least we have the reruns and the dvds.
:(

Apollo
Lieutenant

#28 Post by Apollo »

Point well taken.

I will not pay to go see a piece of junk either, but I still think that the publicity could bring about more airings on tv and increase the value of the original show. It will also add to great discussions on this site.

sophia
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by sophia »

Apollo wrote:Point well taken.

I will not pay to go see a piece of junk either, but I still think that the publicity could bring about more airings on tv and increase the value of the original show. It will also add to great discussions on this site.
Apollo

I will enjoy seeing it crash at the box office.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Danno »

sophia wrote: Apollo

I will enjoy seeing it crash at the box office.
Whoa...

Why?
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org