Laohu
Fleet Admiral

Jay wants a movie

#1 Post by Laohu »

Hernandez Wants A “Magnum P.I.” Film
By Garth Franklin Thursday, January 4th 2024 6:26 am
Magnumpi Reboot May Live On
CBS
NBC has closed out “Magnum P.I,” the reboot of the iconic 1980s series which began back in 2018 on CBS and jumped networks after four seasons there. A two-part fifth season was ordered by NBC with the very last episode airing last night.

The series followed Thomas Magnum (Jay Hernandez) – a private investigator and former Navy SEAL, who solves crimes in the state after returning home from Afghanistan and repurposing his military skills. Perdita Weeks, Zachary Knighton, Stephen Hill, Tim Kang and Amy Hill co-starred.

In the wake of the finale’s airing, Hernandez took to Twitter to talk about his feelings about the ending and to discuss a potential continuation – albeit not as a series – after someone suggested a movie to tie up all the loose ends left by the finale. Hernandez responded:

“I actually floated the idea of a standalone film. I suppose it’s still possible. If I’m being totally honest I didn’t love the show ending how it did. That being said, to all the #magnum #ohana thank you for always supporting us! Y’all have been AMAZING. We’re humbled by your dedication.

I know I’ve been inactive on this platform for reasons you’re well aware of but I hope this space of positivity persists even if the show does not. Keep being kind and always curious. To health, happiness and gratitude in 2024.”

He’s not the only one who has been chatting. Showrunner Eric Guggenheim spoke with TV Line and shares details on what a sixth season would have looked like had the show been renewed:

“We actually didn’t have a clear ending in mind for Magnum and Higgins in Season 5. There were a lot of ideas for them as a couple and a lot of things we wanted to explore, but we weren’t building to anything specific. I was happy leaving room for discovery.

Season 6 was going to have some pretty big stakes, and everyone was going to be affected — especially Magnum. Rick and Kumu were obviously going to be in business together [as co-owners of La Mariana]. But unlike TC, Kumu wasn’t going to be a silent partner. She’d have opinions. So there was going to be a bit of friction there.

With Cade enlisting, TC was going to have to transition into the role of being a military parent. He was also going to pass up getting a second chopper and get a tour boat instead.”

The end of “Magnum P.I.” also closes out the so-called ‘Lenkov-verse’ – three series developed by producer Peter M. Lenkov that share the same screen universe. The other two, the “Hawaii Five-0” and “MacGyver” reboots, ended in 2020 and 2021 respectively.

Eric Guggenheim, Justin Lin, John Davis and John Fox executive produced

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Jay wants a movie

#2 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Laohu wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:36 pm Hernandez Wants A “Magnum P.I.” Film
By Garth Franklin Thursday, January 4th 2024 6:26 am
Magnumpi Reboot May Live On
CBS
NBC has closed out “Magnum P.I,” the reboot of the iconic 1980s series which began back in 2018 on CBS and jumped networks after four seasons there. A two-part fifth season was ordered by NBC with the very last episode airing last night.

The series followed Thomas Magnum (Jay Hernandez) – a private investigator and former Navy SEAL, who solves crimes in the state after returning home from Afghanistan and repurposing his military skills. Perdita Weeks, Zachary Knighton, Stephen Hill, Tim Kang and Amy Hill co-starred.

In the wake of the finale’s airing, Hernandez took to Twitter to talk about his feelings about the ending and to discuss a potential continuation – albeit not as a series – after someone suggested a movie to tie up all the loose ends left by the finale. Hernandez responded:

“I actually floated the idea of a standalone film. I suppose it’s still possible. If I’m being totally honest I didn’t love the show ending how it did. That being said, to all the #magnum #ohana thank you for always supporting us! Y’all have been AMAZING. We’re humbled by your dedication.

I know I’ve been inactive on this platform for reasons you’re well aware of but I hope this space of positivity persists even if the show does not. Keep being kind and always curious. To health, happiness and gratitude in 2024.”

He’s not the only one who has been chatting. Showrunner Eric Guggenheim spoke with TV Line and shares details on what a sixth season would have looked like had the show been renewed:

“We actually didn’t have a clear ending in mind for Magnum and Higgins in Season 5. There were a lot of ideas for them as a couple and a lot of things we wanted to explore, but we weren’t building to anything specific. I was happy leaving room for discovery.

Season 6 was going to have some pretty big stakes, and everyone was going to be affected — especially Magnum. Rick and Kumu were obviously going to be in business together [as co-owners of La Mariana]. But unlike TC, Kumu wasn’t going to be a silent partner. She’d have opinions. So there was going to be a bit of friction there.

With Cade enlisting, TC was going to have to transition into the role of being a military parent. He was also going to pass up getting a second chopper and get a tour boat instead.”

The end of “Magnum P.I.” also closes out the so-called ‘Lenkov-verse’ – three series developed by producer Peter M. Lenkov that share the same screen universe. The other two, the “Hawaii Five-0” and “MacGyver” reboots, ended in 2020 and 2021 respectively.
Eric Guggenheim, Justin Lin, John Davis and John Fox executive produced
Laohu,
TV movies based on old series are relatively cheap to produce with a ready made fan base tuning in. Look at the Perry Mason, Rockford Files, Wild Wild West(both flicks well done), Andy Griffith TV movies.
Of course there also was "Bring Me the Head of Dobie Gillis" co-starring uber babe Connie Stevens, but that didn't turn out too well.
So maybe Jay will get another try at a more proper Magnum farewell. If so I hope they use Larry.

Vxc961
Lieutenant

#3 Post by Vxc961 »

They’ve got me hoping for a movie now! I’m only a third through this last season, but I’m enjoying it!

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Laohu »

Licensing I think it all comes down the licensing. The rights for Magnum PI is owned by more then one company and any time that happens it makes it difficult and expensive to get anything made . I would like to see them do multiple movies Jay was a great Magnum Pi and it is kind of refreshing to see an actor who wants to continue on with a role .