Season 5 Episode 19: Ashes to Ashes (5.19)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

Perfect
25%
One of the Best
No votes
Excellent
No votes
Very Good
25%
Pretty Good
25%
Decent
No votes
Average at Best
25%
Not So Good
No votes
Pretty Bad
No votes
Just Awful
No votes

Total votes: 4

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 5 Episode 19: Ashes to Ashes (5.19)

#1 Post by KENJI »

Magnum and Higgins re-examine a fatal arson investigation at the request of TC and Mahina, leading to a sinister discovery; Kumu volunteers with Rick at a veterans' crisis call centre.
Last edited by KENJI on Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 5 Episode 19: Ashes to Ashes (5.19)

#2 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

The last two episodes air back to back on January 3, 2024. 9 PM to 11 PM on NBC.
#19 - "Ashes to Ashes" #20 - "The Big Squeeze"
I wonder if there will be any surprise guest stars, perhaps Larry? Someone else from the original series, Bellisario?
I just pray they don't bring back the disaster who played Luther Gillis, who is in the running for worst casting in TV history.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The word "swims" upside-down is still "swims". Just saying.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by KENJI »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:23 am The last two episodes air back to back on January 3, 2024. 9 PM to 11 PM on NBC.
I wonder if there will be any surprise guest stars, perhaps Larry? Someone else from the original series, Bellisario?
I just pray they don't bring back the disaster who played Luther Gillis, who is in the running for worst casting in TV history.
Happy New Year Dobie!

Looking forward to the back to back episodes to see how they wrap things up.
Yes, I wonder if they will have a surprise guest star! I'm praying right beside you regarding Luther not retuning!! :wink:
I could see Larry possibly coming back depending on the storyline.....doubting Bellisario, but who knows what/who they have up their sleeve....hopefully they have an ace and not a joker like Ken (Luther).

Read my last post in the 5.13 thread as it ties into this conversation.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by KENJI »

Watching the last two episodes I would've scrapped this episode and had the Big Squeeze in the 19th slot and done more with the last episode dealing more with the characters and less about the case.
I was watching the clock on episode 20 and I'm thinking they are running out of time here! Sure they wrapped up the storylines enough for some closure, but it was weak in my opinion for a finale. I think they could've done more with it than that. Oh well, at least Luther didn't appear!! I'm sure some loved the ending and others loved that it ended. :wink: :lol:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

KENJI wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:05 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:23 am The last two episodes air back to back on January 3, 2024. 9 PM to 11 PM on NBC.
Happy New Year Dobie!
Looking forward to the back to back episodes to see how they wrap things up.
Yes, I wonder if they will have a surprise guest star! I'm praying right beside you regarding Luther not retuning!! :wink:
I could see Larry possibly coming back depending on the storyline.....doubting Bellisario, but who knows what/who they have up their sleeve....hopefully they have an ace and not a joker like Ken (Luther).
Read my last post in the 5.13 thread as it ties into this conversation.
KENJI,
You wrote regarding episode 13 that -
"they should've written Manetti's stroke into the show where he can no longer sing at the club and progressed from there...I could possibly see him making an appearance in the final episode."

Well Larry didn't appear, I think they really missed the boat there. Unless they slyly put him in the background, as his illness may have gotten worse. I note that Jay produced the 19th and 20th episodes.
I liked the story line at the VA crisis center, it's that sort of humanity instead of the mechanical action scenes that would have helped the show more in the early seasons.
I am looking forward to what people have to say once you create the thread for episode 20.
I am going to watch #20 again tomorrow to better digest it, and to look for any sly Easter eggs/in jokes as Jay strikes me as the sort who would have those in the series wind up.
For example there could be a poster in a window advertising the memoirs of Jonathon Higgins with a photo of John Hillerman, who knows.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by KENJI »

Hi Dobie,

The 5.20 Big Squeeze thread is there.....probably at the bottom of the thread pile. I'll fish it out for you and bring it to the surface.
:)

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Laohu »

And the Emmy goes to ……. Amy Hill . Sure the first part of the Rick and Kumu storyline was just a public service announcement but if it gets just one person to volunteer and that helps a veteran somewhere it was well worth it .