Season 5 Episode 18: Extracurricular Activities (5.18)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

Perfect
33%
One of the Best
No votes
Excellent
No votes
Very Good
33%
Pretty Good
33%
Decent
No votes
Average at Best
No votes
Not So Good
No votes
Pretty Bad
No votes
Just Awful
No votes

Total votes: 3

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 5 Episode 18: Extracurricular Activities (5.18)

#1 Post by KENJI »

Magnum and Higgins are hired by a University of Oahu dean to quietly investigate a professor who has been accused of having an inappropriate relationship with a female grad student; TC and Katsumoto take Cade and Dennis on a father-son camping trip.
Last edited by KENJI on Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 5 Episode 18: Extracurricular Activities (5.18)

#2 Post by KENJI »

I'm hearing this episode will be directed by none other than Perdita Weeks.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Laohu »

Very enjoyable episode. The interaction between the characters is so well done that it really is the most enjoyable show on TV right now .

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

LINK:
'Magnum P.I.' | Perdita Weeks Talks Directing Debut | Watch

As KENJI noted, this was directed by Perdita Weeks.
Always a good sign when capable members of the cast direct, it indicates they are invested in the series and want to do a good job.
A few seasons too late, maybe the mistakes in the early seasons that turned off Classic Magnum fans might have been avoided.

A good episode, contrasting two life paths, one via TC's foster son wanting to enter the Marines and showcasing how the brotherhood/life
lessons learned there is payed forward thru Rick and TC helping a homeless man and his son.

As opposed to life at university, from the amoral university suit who hires Higgins & Magnum to the various students backstabbing each other
to get what they want. Not the pursuit of knowledge, but a way to leverage their degree to make more money than the other guy.

We also get a action story with a Chinese intelligence operative posing as a student, plus a bad guy sleazy college professor preying on female students.
Instead of being a one dimensional cartoon bad guy, as a hack like Lenkov would have written him, the professor is still a patriot and honorable in his own
way when with a gun pointed at his head he refuses to cooperate with the Red agent.

This story line does reflect what is happening today in America and elsewhere.
The nature of heavy handed Chinese communism has always stifled innovation and individuals with an idea. So like the Soviets once did Peking steals
cutting edge breakthroughs from elsewhere.
Each year Australian Universities take in thousands of Chinese students as there isn't enough slots at Uni for them at home. However much these institutions make
off them is offset by the fact a certain number are in fact agents monitoring the Chinese students and/or trying to steal research the colleges are developing, as in this
episode of Magnum.
Plus some attempt to become Aussie citizens and thus long term moles hoping to one day leverage high academic achievement into jobs where they can access secrets.
Obviously the far majority of the students are there for the education, but it's undeniable the bad guys are amongst them as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If it's the Captain's Mess, let him clean it up. - Bugs Bunny

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#5 Post by Aloha Friday »

Dobie, great synopsis...I watched the show this week, but never saw the deeper meanings of the different storylines until reading your post. Excellent and spot on. BTW, I agree with what others have posted this is a very good show...can't really compare with 1980's Magnum and may have been a mistake to bring it out as a remake...might have fared better with new character names.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Aloha Friday wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:39 pm Dobie, great synopsis...I watched the show this week, but never saw the deeper meanings of the different storylines until reading your post. Excellent and spot on. BTW, I agree with what others have posted this is a very good show...can't really compare with 1980's Magnum and may have been a mistake to bring it out as a remake...might have fared better with new character names.
Hi Aloha Friday,
Thank you.
It was a mistake to bring it back (though last 2 1/2 years it has been far better) as a remake because Lenkov didn't understand the original, it's soldiers ethos or indeed real life violence.
He needed to repeatedly watch the best episode of Classic Magnum - in my opinion - "Way of the Stalking Horse".
It's packed with KEY INSIGHTS into Thomas and indeed the series, to the extent it functions as a Cliff Notes study guide for the entire series.
The directing job was top notch as well, elevating the sterling writing and acting. I would suggest rereading the posts on the Magnum Mania Stalking Horse
thread as well, some very good stuff there.

I think you are spot on that instead of rebooting Magnum, they should have rebooted, say, Hawaiian Eye, which would have been a perfect fit for this type production and staff.
The last few years of the Magnum reboot they have indeed been a PI firm like Hawaiian Eye, which one poster here suggested years ago they do instead of all the mass firefights.

Shows you what I know, I didn't figure out for years that the "Eye" of Hawaiian Eye was short for Private Eye. To quote Homer Simpson, "Doh!"

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by KENJI »

I had to laugh when Higgins was on the motorcycle going full tilt and then they do a close up and her hair is barely moving. I'm guessing it wasn't extra strength hairspray if you know what I mean. :wink: