Season 5 Episode 16: Run with the Devil (5.16)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

Perfect
25%
One of the Best
No votes
Excellent
No votes
Very Good
25%
Pretty Good
50%
Decent
No votes
Average at Best
No votes
Not So Good
No votes
Pretty Bad
No votes
Just Awful
No votes

Total votes: 4

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 5 Episode 16: Run with the Devil (5.16)

#1 Post by KENJI »

No info.
Last edited by KENJI on Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 5 Episode 16: Suffer Little Children (5.16)

#2 Post by KENJI »

The title for Magnum PI season 5 episode 16, may have changed to Run with the Devil.
I'll change it when I know for sure.

Magnum and Higgins agree to help a teenage Amish boy who has traveled to Hawaii in search of his runaway sister. Rick sets out to find TC a date to the Marine Corps Ball.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 5 Episode 16: Run with the Devil (5.16)

#3 Post by Laohu »

I enjoyed this episode and I think we possibly could have seen the start of the main villain to wrap up the show.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by KENJI »

Hi Laohu,

I agree there is some unfinished business with this crime boss/villain and the last episode makes sense for another appearance by him.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Laohu »

Hi Kenji ,
Hope everything is going good in your world ?
With such a short time left I hope this is not something that they run out of time to address . If we got another season I think it would be more impactful to have him show up around the middle of next season.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

The opening scene outside a chicken joint with Higgins dressed in a giant chicken suit, as a Doo Wop song "Chicken Little" blasts, was very funny.
As when a passing patron looks Higgins up and down like a free lunch(in a suit hiding everything, though she looked beguilingly cute) while Jay makes
bad chicken puns over the phone to her.

The actor playing the Amish teen Saul hasn't the faintest clue how to do a Pennsylvania accent much less Pennsylvania Dutch.
He looks and sounds more like a California beach kid.

At the 55 minute mark, at the Marine Ball, Rick remarks to TC,

"Look at us! The mustache twins, huh. Now all we gotta do is get Magnum to grow one."
TC - "Do you think he can pull it off?"
Rick and TC together, laughing - "Nah!"

Now that's the kind of stuff they should have been doing in season one, giving Classic Magnum fans a reason not to be too hasty
rejecting a reboot that paid homage to the original, in a witty way. But Lenkov liked big bang bangs instead of better writing.

TC and Rick looked quite snappy in their dress blues. Unlike in season 1 when both them and Thomas would sport 5 day beards while in uniform, here they are both clean shaven, with mustaches.
The Marine dress blues have got to be the most beautiful uniform in the world.
Maybe the various rotating Guards regiments at Buckingham Palace come close, but they are in second place.
Of coarse the Baywatch Lifeguards one piece uniform Pam Anderson and the other girls wore wasn't too shabby either.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Oh well. There's no future in the past."
Rachel Goldstein (Water Rats)
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#7 Post by Aloha Friday »

I laughed at the mustache bit...you are right they should have sprinkled this kind of humor in the series...make a little fun of themselves.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by KENJI »

Laohu wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:43 am Hi Kenji ,
Hope everything is going good in your world ?
With such a short time left I hope this is not something that they run out of time to address . If we got another season I think it would be more impactful to have him show up around the middle of next season.
Hi Laohu,

All good in the Republic of Manana, thanks for asking.
I agree, more time would've set this up nicely for a surprise visit in another season, but sadly time isn't on their side anymore. It must be difficult at times being a writer and trying to get it right when the clock is ticking and the deadline is always near. They should have either this villain or better yet why not the stalker from the white Escalade playing the BIG Iz music in the background surface again, before the clock runs out. Another storyline from a previous season that was left with future possibilities was M&H owing a favor to that Russian agent. Looking forward to seeing where they take us in the few episodes we have left.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by KENJI »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:56 am The opening scene outside a chicken joint with Higgins dressed in a giant chicken suit, as a Doo Wop song "Chicken Little" blasts, was very funny.
As when a passing patron looks Higgins up and down like a free lunch(in a suit hiding everything, though she looked beguilingly cute) while Jay makes
bad chicken puns over the phone to her.

The actor playing the Amish teen Saul hasn't the faintest clue how to do a Pennsylvania accent much less Pennsylvania Dutch.
He looks and sounds more like a California beach kid.

At the 55 minute mark, at the Marine Ball, Rick remarks to TC,

"Look at us! The mustache twins, huh. Now all we gotta do is get Magnum to grow one."
TC - "Do you think he can pull it off?"
Rick and TC together, laughing - "Nah!"

Now that's the kind of stuff they should have been doing in season one, giving Classic Magnum fans a reason not to be too hasty
rejecting a reboot that paid homage to the original, in a witty way.

TC and Rick looked quite snappy in their dress blues. Unlike in season 1 when both them and Thomas would sport 5 day beards while in uniform, here they are both clean shaven, with mustaches.
The Marine dress blues have got to be the most beautiful uniform in the world.
Maybe the various rotating Guards regiments at Buckingham Palace come close, but they are in second place.
Of coarse the Baywatch Lifeguards one piece uniform Pam Anderson and the other girls wore wasn't too shabby either.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Oh well. There's no future in the past."
Rachel Goldstein (Water Rats)
Hi ya Dobie!

I agree with your mustache comment. They wouldn't have won everyone over that's for sure, but it may have helped a wee bit.
It's a clever scene that everyone can appreciate.

As usual you have me laughing with your uniform comment......yes, the Baywatch lifeguard uniform isn't too shabby. :lol:

I was thinking of another storyline where Rick and Joy had way too much fun the night of the ball and end up pregnant AGAIN. I can see Rick's face now as Joy tells him. :shock: Who knows.... it could be last episode material.