Season 5 Episode 15: The Retrieval (5.15)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

Perfect
25%
One of the Best
No votes
Excellent
No votes
Very Good
No votes
Pretty Good
50%
Decent
25%
Average at Best
No votes
Not So Good
No votes
Pretty Bad
No votes
Just Awful
No votes

Total votes: 4

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 5 Episode 15: The Retrieval (5.15)

#1 Post by KENJI »

No info.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 5 Episode 15: The Retrieval (5.15)

#2 Post by KENJI »

Magnum and Higgins are hired to find a missing gamer whose online friends believe he might be in trouble; Jin Jeong enlists the help of TC in a treasure hunt after his ex-partner gets out of prison.

freeside
Ensign

#3 Post by freeside »

At Can TV the episodes are send a day before USA TV.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

KENJI wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:11 pm Magnum and Higgins are hired to find a missing gamer whose online friends believe he might be in trouble; Jin Jeong enlists the help of TC in a treasure hunt after his ex-partner gets out of prison.
Good episode. Jin as always is amusing.
Today's world of online gaming would be something completely foreign to the world of Classic Magnum over 40 years ago.
40 years! I remember like it was yesterday the moment Magnum shot Ivan, first the shock of it then the wonder of how CBS let the hero of an important series
smoke a bad guy in cold blood. Anyone who ever thought Thomas Magnum was just a partying beach bum in a cool car hasn't a clue, this is a man who, once
determining you were a mortal threat to his people or his country, will calmly and with calculation remove the threat permanently, then continue on his way.
Higgins and Thomas recognize that in each other, part of their mutual bond and shared burden.

Jay's Thomas Magnum is missing that aspect, the heart of darkness and the unhappiness. Ditto for Perdita's Juliet Higgins. To me, that's what the reboot didn't
understand about the original series. They should have watched "Way of the Stalking Horse" a few times first, everything the series is and who the characters
are is laid out in that. For that reason, to me, it is the most important episode, it brutally strips Thomas down to his essence, despair and all.
And clearly marks TC as the best of all of them, the first to start leaving behind the demons the boys came to Hawaii to shed, Higgins included.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by KENJI »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:12 am
KENJI wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:11 pm Magnum and Higgins are hired to find a missing gamer whose online friends believe he might be in trouble; Jin Jeong enlists the help of TC in a treasure hunt after his ex-partner gets out of prison.
Today's world of online gaming would be something completely foreign to the world of Classic Magnum over 40 years ago.
40 years! I remember like it was yesterday the moment Magnum shot Ivan, first the shock of it then the wonder of how CBS let the hero of an important series
smoke a bad guy in cold blood. Anyone who ever thought Thomas Magnum was just a partying beach bum in a cool car hasn't a clue, this is a man who, once
determining you were a mortal threat to his people or his country, will calmly and with calculation remove the threat permanently, then continue on his way.
Higgins and Thomas recognize that in each other, part of their mutual bond and shared burden.

Jay's Thomas Magnum is missing that aspect, the heart of darkness and the unhappiness. Ditto for Perdita's Juliet Higgins. To me, that's what the reboot didn't
understand about the original series. They should have watched "Way of the Stalking Horse" a few times first, everything the series is and who the characters
are is laid out in that. For that reason, to me, it is the most important episode, it brutally strips Thomas down to his essence, despair and all.
And clearly marks TC as the best of all of them, the first to start leaving behind the demons the boys came to Hawaii to shed, Higgins included.
Hi Dobie,

I can only take Jin in really small doses and this episode was an overdose for me.

I agree with you partly in regards to your heart of darkness etc. comment. We do get a glimpse of it with Juliet when she is after the guy who killed Richard. The switch was flipped and she was definitely another person. She even comments to Magnum about....you don't know what I'm capable of....something to that extent.....I'll try and find the exact quote. I wish the writers let that switch get flipped a few more times with her character. I would like to see Magnum's switch get flipped at least once....say in the final episode to add some shock value, but they seem to want to keep his character more on the side of good. Again, they've run out of time, but they could've had a storyline with Magnum struggling with recurring nightmares from the past and Higgins witnesses them while sleeping together. Lots of storyline to work with there. Another thought they could've just had Juliet with the damaged wiring and Thomas slowing bringing her back from the dark side. Oh well, maybe that will happen with the next Magnum reboot :shock: :wink:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

KENJI wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:50 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:12 am
Hi Dobie,
I can only take Jin in really small doses and this episode was an overdose for me.
I agree with you partly in regards to your heart of darkness etc. comment. We do get a glimpse of it with Juliet when she is after the guy who killed Richard. The switch was flipped and she was definitely another person. She even comments to Magnum about....you don't know what I'm capable of....something to that extent.....I'll try and find the exact quote. I wish the writers let that switch get flipped a few more times with her character. I would like to see Magnum's switch get flipped at least once....say in the final episode to add some shock value, but they seem to want to keep his character more on the side of good. Again, they've run out of time, but they could've had a storyline with Magnum struggling with recurring nightmares from the past and Higgins witnesses them while sleeping together. Lots of storyline to work with there. Another thought they could've just had Juliet with the damaged wiring and Thomas slowing bringing her back from the dark side. Oh well, maybe that will happen with the next Magnum reboot :shock: :wink:

KENJI,
You make some good points. Higgins saying "you don't know what I'm capable of", could have indeed led to a continuing thread throughout the series, and with your idea of a damaged Juliet
being healed thru Magnum, would have been far more compelling than the mass firefights - they would have made every paper in the country - the writers opted to do as a easy story resolution
as opposed to doing the hard yards and being more creative.
It would be cool to have another Magnum reboot in 20 years and Magnum Mania still around with some of the bloggers here still commenting.

The old Route 66 Yahoo Group went out of business when Yahoo purged all such groups. The writer/creator behind the series, Oscar winner Stirling Silliphant has his papers at UCLA.
Since the 66 group was chock full of insights/information etc by people who lived thru the early 60's, explaining many of the nuances that would otherwise be lost, and insights by
posters who knew the various stars and passed on their feelings/stories of being onset, and the entertaining posts by we fans, one of the posters who was a professional writer
arranged with Yahoo to donate the entire archive of all the posts to the Silliphant papers at UCLA. As a resource for students, fans and researchers.

I bring this up because if God forbid Magnum Mania ever buys the farm, I believe it would have real value for the same reasons at a Donald Bellisario Archive.

In ten years many entertainment legend's movies will be - or near - 100 years old, Laurel & Hardy, Cagney etc. Wouldn't it be fun is there was a "Magnum Mania" type archive
from then? Some aspects would seem to be from an alien world to 18 year old college kids in the 2030's.

Anyway, I am just suggesting that the powers that be here look around for a home/archive for Magnum Mania to live on if the site ever does end. There is so much material here
that is worthwhile, it wouldn't surprise me if Selleck or his researchers mined it for info for his autobiography.
Is there a better resource anywhere online?