Season 5 Episode 13: Appetite for Danger (5.13)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

Perfect
20%
One of the Best
No votes
Excellent
No votes
Very Good
20%
Pretty Good
60%
Decent
No votes
Average at Best
No votes
Not So Good
No votes
Pretty Bad
No votes
Just Awful
No votes

Total votes: 5

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 5 Episode 13: Appetite for Danger (5.13)

#1 Post by KENJI »

No info yet.
Last edited by KENJI on Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 5 Episode 13: Appetite for Danger (5.13)

#2 Post by KENJI »

Magnum and Higgins enlist Katsumoto to go undercover when a chef at a high-end restaurant goes missing.
Kumu works with Cade at the Cultural Center, confronting one of America's darker chapters.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by KENJI »

Larry Manetti makes an appearance in this episode.
He has a few lines in this one where he's arguing with the new Rick over how to win a little league baseball game that the Island Hoppers were losing.
It's a bit hard to understand him, but he does his best.
Of course he's betting on the game which Manetti did on the original show all the time.....even on little league games!
I think they should've written his stroke into the show where he can no longer sing at the club and progressed from there. I hope they don't have him behind the piano again after this episode.....not many episodes left anyway, but I could possibly see him making an appearance in the final episode....depending on the storyline.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

KENJI wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:16 pm Larry Manetti makes an appearance in this episode.
He has a few lines in this one where he's arguing with the new Rick over how to win a little league baseball game that the Island Hoppers were losing.
Of course he's betting on the game which Manetti did on the original show all the time.....even on little league games!
I think they should've written his stroke into the show where he can no longer sing at the club and progressed from there. I hope they don't have him behind the piano again after this episode.....not many episodes left anyway, but I could possibly see him making an appearance in the final episode....depending on the storyline.
Good episode. Action and pathos, what with the bit with the Japanese American who had been interred, I have an idea naming him George was a wink to George Takei, who has been an advocate
for those put into the camps, as well as having been in one. I thought the scene with TC at the VA, and his Little League baseball team visiting him there was very well done.
Too bad they didn't have such human interest stories at the series start instead of all the firefights and spy BS.

I have a feeling the producers are setting us up for a big surprise. The bit at the end seems like a pointless throwaway scene, with Magnum relenting and sharing with Higgy that he
sends money home to a now older PI who helped him out when he was a kid. But why bother putting it in the script, unless this mysterious older PI is going to show up in the putative
last episode of the series in two months?
'
Played by TOM SELLECK! Just put him on the bench next to Larry watching TC's Little League team and bob's your uncle.

I am also betting Tom's long overdue autobiography will be released at the same time, a great way to promote both it and the series and insuring a tidal wave of publicity during
Yuletide which means big book sales for Christmas. Heck, rumor has it that Pahonu, Ivan and KENJI are pitching in to buy all Magnum Mania members a copy, thanks fellas,
nothing ki ki ki about them, they are the real deal. (Ki Ki Ki means phony in Hawaiian, you can pick up a lot watching "Hawaiian Eye")

If we were in England where the bookies will take action on anything, I'd put a sawbuck down on Tom Selleck returning. But no more than that, I'm a Selleck fan but I'm not pupule( crazy).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Dogs have owners; cats have staff"...attributed to Mark Twain

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Laohu »

Really enjoyed this episode , it highlights some of the elements that make this show a pleasure to watch . This show was so well written that it was able to get in moments that let each of the cast members shine in under 60 minutes.

HonoluluLulu
Ensign

#6 Post by HonoluluLulu »

I did a double take at the start when Larry Manetti showed up. Sitting on the bench. He is looking more and more like a dead ringer for the original Icepick! Magnum saying he sends money to an older PI he used to learn from, that is quite the teaser to throw out from the blue. Hmmm!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by KENJI »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:59 am
KENJI wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:16 pm Larry Manetti makes an appearance in this episode.
Good episode. Action and pathos, what with the bit with the Japanese American who had been interred, I have an idea naming him George was a wink to George Takei, who has been an advocate
for those put into the camps, as well as having been in one. I thought the scene with TC at the VA, and his Little League baseball team visiting him there was very well done.last episode of the series in two months?
Too bad they didn't have such human interest stories at the series start instead of all the firefights and spy BS.

I have a feeling the producers are setting us up for a big surprise. The bit at the end seems like a pointless throwaway scene, with Magnum relenting and sharing with Higgy that he
sends money home to a now older PI who helped him out when he was a kid. But why bother putting it in the script, unless this mysterious older PI is going to show up in the putative

'
Played by TOM SELLECK! Just put him on the bench next to Larry watching TC's Little League team and bob's your uncle.

I am also betting Tom's long overdue autobiography will be released at the same time, a great way to promote both it and the series and insuring a tidal wave of publicity during
Yuletide which means big book sales for Christmas. Heck, rumor has it that Pahonu, Ivan and KENJI are pitching in to buy all Magnum Mania members a copy, thanks fellas,
nothing ki ki ki about them, they are the real deal. (Ki Ki Ki means phony in Hawaiian, you can pick up a lot watching "Hawaiian Eye")

If we were in England where the bookies will take action on anything, I'd put a sawbuck down on Tom Selleck returning. But no more than that, I'm a Selleck fan but I'm not pupule( crazy).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Dogs have owners; cats have staff"...attributed to Mark Twain

Hi Dobie!

I totally agree with you on that throw away scene with Thomas spilling to Higgins that he sends money home to a now older PI who helped him out when he was a kid.
I was thinking he wasn't going to cough up the info in that episode and in the final episode he reveals the money he was saving was for a ring for her. When he stated the reason I was thinking like you, they have something big in store for the last episode or they just fumbled the ball....I guess we will find out tonight with the finale if they set up a touch down with that scene or just dropped the ball.

Tom Selleck being that older PI would be the touch down of all touch downs if they pulled that off!! I'm not holding my breath as Selleck wasn't interested in ever doing the show, but factor in Larry and Roger have already done the show a few times and this would be the very last episode of the reboot it cooooooould happen. They could do a final salute to Tom and the original show with Selleck being the older PI as you suggested. I could see Magnum (Mini Mag to some) flying in this older PI and thanking him for all that he has done for him....etc., etc.. Basically the reboot thanking or paying homage to the original show in a round about way. Selleck is a classy and an all around nice guy, so maybe he had a weak/soft moment and agreed to a scene in the final episode if they were tipping their hats to the original.
I know Conch and some of the board are thinking this is BLASPHEMY...this could be my final post..... :shock: :wink: The last I heard, Conch was so excited that the reboot is ending that he let it slip he was going to foot the bill for everyone to get a copy of Selleck's book that you mentioned and he wouldn't take NO for an answer....having said that, it might've been the Coops or Old Dusseldorf talking, so you might want to confirm this with him again...he was celebrating pretty hard at Flemingo Keys that night . :wink: It's almost over Conch hang in there! If the Selleck loooong shot happens it would be the best kept secret as there is nothing out there of Selleck making an appearance on the reboot.....crickets. You had mentioned Bellisario in another thread being a surprise guest star for the final episode.....maybe he is the older PI with the same premise of thanking the original show etc.. It doesn't come close to having Selleck as that character, but it would be a decent second choice. Watch them drop the ball and have LENKOV play that character! :shock: :roll:

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by KENJI »

Update......just finished watching the final two episodes and they fumbled that scene as they didn't do anything with it at the end.
No surprise guest stars.....nothing....hoping for more, but it fell flat...imo. :roll:
Wishful thinking on the T.S. appearance.....oh well.....at least Luther never showed up. :lol: .