Magnum Reboot CANCELED

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Gearhard
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Magnum Reboot CANCELED

#16 Post by Gearhard »

Do I understand correctly the the last 10 episodes are already written and filmed? If so, then there won't be a wrap up/conclusion to the show. Would writers purposefully NOT write a cliff hanger episode if they didn't know the show was coming back for certain?

I haven't heard any talk of a wrap up 2 hour movie event, and considering the actors' contracts all expired 6/30, I imagine all of them will be off in different directions looking for work.

If there were to be a wrap up episode, which story arc would you want to see?
1: Rick getting married (but actually saying "I do")
2: Tom Selleck guest stars as TSM IV and reveals that Jay Hernandez is TSM V?
3: Gordy actually taking a back up partner into a gun fight?
4: TC flying off into the sunset with his girlfriend?
5: Kumo teaching a hula class?
6: Juliet doing yoga?
7: Thomas and Juliet driving the Ferrari off Mt Tantalus holding hands ala Thelma and Louise?

Glenn

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

#17 Post by Magnum4eva »

Wow, I'm late lol. Can't say I'm surprised. NBC seemed to have very little confidence in it and barely promoted it. Makes you wonder what the point was of bringing it back in the first place.

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

#18 Post by Magnum4eva »

Pahonu wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:43 pm I gave up on the reboot after the first few episodes, but still don’t understand the seeming joy by many on the forum at its cancellation. It didn’t like it, but apparently many did, including members of this forum. It seems a bit inconsiderate to post such glee in its cancellation.
Honestly? People are just done with these cash grab remakes. If even if the reboot is halfway decent people feel happy that one bit the dust. It was always a trend and trends eventually end anyway though this one took its sweet time.

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

#19 Post by Magnum4eva »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:34 pm
T.Q. wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:23 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:38 pm
T.Q. wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:26 pm It could have continued another 5 years and I wouldn’t have given it much thought. I’m a “mature mature adult” afterall. 🤣
Is that why you throw darts at Jay Hernandez pinned on your wall? :lol:
That only lasted a year.

Then I just viewed it as bad cheesy modern fan fiction. :lol:

It’s like what Disney did to Luke, Leia, and Han (maybe that was worse because they reprised their roles). You’re pizzed for a while with what they did to the iconic characters of your youth and then you just refuse to watch.
Yeah I just hate remakes, reboots, re-whatever, period. Lazy, lazy, lazy. :roll:

Pretty soon when you mention any TV show folks will be asking "the new one or the old one?"

All in the Family. The new one or the old one?
M*A*S*H. The new one or the old one?
Columbo. The new one or the old one?
I Love Lucy. The new one or the old one?
Cheers. The new one or the old one?

Oh the horror! Please don't speak that into existence! Now you have to wash out your wicked mouth with soap lol.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Magnum4eva wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:47 am
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:34 pm
T.Q. wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:23 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:38 pm
T.Q. wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:26 pm It could have continued another 5 years and I wouldn’t have given it much thought. I’m a “mature mature adult” afterall. 🤣
Is that why you throw darts at Jay Hernandez pinned on your wall? :lol:
That only lasted a year.

Then I just viewed it as bad cheesy modern fan fiction. :lol:

It’s like what Disney did to Luke, Leia, and Han (maybe that was worse because they reprised their roles). You’re pizzed for a while with what they did to the iconic characters of your youth and then you just refuse to watch.
Yeah I just hate remakes, reboots, re-whatever, period. Lazy, lazy, lazy. :roll:

Pretty soon when you mention any TV show folks will be asking "the new one or the old one?"

All in the Family. The new one or the old one?
M*A*S*H. The new one or the old one?
Columbo. The new one or the old one?
I Love Lucy. The new one or the old one?
Cheers. The new one or the old one?

Oh the horror! Please don't speak that into existence! Now you have to wash out your wicked mouth with soap lol.
I wouldn't put anything past them. It's one thing when you're trying to remake MY MOTHER THE CAR but when you start touching the classics and messing with perfection (which we've already seen them do) then you know nothing is off limits.

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Reef monkey »

308GUY wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:04 pm Would not be at all surprised to learn that it gets picked up by one of the streaming channels/networks.
Peacock has streaming rights to the episodes that aired on NBC, Paramount has streaming rights to the episodes that aired on CBS. Both of those streaming services' parent companies have passed on paying for new episodes. A third streaming service would not only have to buy new episodes, but in order to get a full series package would have to negotiate with two competitors? Not gonna happen.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Reef monkey »

Pahonu wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:43 pm I gave up on the reboot after the first few episodes, but still don’t understand the seeming joy by many on the forum at its cancellation. It didn’t like it, but apparently many did, including members of this forum. It seems a bit inconsiderate to post such glee in its cancellation.
Agreed, once I stopped watching it after the third episode, I stopped caring about it one way or another.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by 308GUY »

reef Monkey wrote:Peacock has streaming rights to the episodes that aired on NBC, Paramount has streaming rights to the episodes that aired on CBS. Both of those streaming services' parent companies have passed on paying for new episodes. A third streaming service would not only have to buy new episodes, but in order to get a full series package would have to negotiate with two competitors? Not gonna happen.
Suits me perfectly! Was only pointing out that as crazy as the world in general is today, and particularly, tinsel town, and money being the motivation for just about everything in the market place, it would not surprise me for it to happen at some point. I do understand the logic, and am in agreeance, (again, money being at the root),.....but I thought it was nuts for NBC to pull it out of the fire the first time! The cast does an amazing job for what they are tasked with....but it was a doomed enterprise from the start....and the casting director screwed up....Weeks was a good pick, Amy Hill does well, but her character was not necessary....her and Weeks sort of comprise a JQH character together. Doesn't matter now, over and done with. I think the only reason it lasted as long as it did was the target audience, which was NOT "us"....the millenials.....are who watched and loved it as they are/were not familiar with the "real thing"....long before their time. Not here for debate...just a few ramblings from a fan of the original, adding footnotes to a meager attempt to put lightning in a bottle "twice". There will never be another "Beatles" either.... :lol: :geek:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

308GUY wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:57 pm Weeks was a good pick, Amy Hill does well, but her character was not necessary....her and Weeks sort of comprise a JQH character together.
In other words it takes 2 chicks to try to match 1 man (Hillerman/Higgy) and they still fall short! :lol:

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by 308GUY »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:12 pm
In other words it takes 2 chicks to try to match 1 man (Hillerman/Higgy) and they still fall short! :lol:

That's my take on it....your results may vary! :lol:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

#26 Post by Magnum4eva »

308GUY wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:57 pm
reef Monkey wrote:Peacock has streaming rights to the episodes that aired on NBC, Paramount has streaming rights to the episodes that aired on CBS. Both of those streaming services' parent companies have passed on paying for new episodes. A third streaming service would not only have to buy new episodes, but in order to get a full series package would have to negotiate with two competitors? Not gonna happen.
Suits me perfectly! Was only pointing out that as crazy as the world in general is today, and particularly, tinsel town, and money being the motivation for just about everything in the market place, it would not surprise me for it to happen at some point. I do understand the logic, and am in agreeance, (again, money being at the root),.....but I thought it was nuts for NBC to pull it out of the fire the first time! The cast does an amazing job for what they are tasked with....but it was a doomed enterprise from the start....and the casting director screwed up....Weeks was a good pick, Amy Hill does well, but her character was not necessary....her and Weeks sort of comprise a JQH character together. Doesn't matter now, over and done with. I think the only reason it lasted as long as it did was the target audience, which was NOT "us"....the millenials.....are who watched and loved it as they are/were not familiar with the "real thing"....long before their time. Not here for debate...just a few ramblings from a fan of the original, adding footnotes to a meager attempt to put lightning in a bottle "twice". There will never be another "Beatles" either.... :lol: :geek:

Yeah, Idk what NBC was thinking. A reboot is just not worth saving. The real thing is still very popular and iconic and as you said you just can't capture lightening in a bottle twice.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#27 Post by ConchRepublican »

With less than 100 episodes aired (86 aired, 10 more filmed but not aired) I assume this will not be available for syndication as well?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ConchRepublican wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:27 pm With less than 100 episodes aired (86 aired, 10 more filmed but not aired) I assume this will not be available for syndication as well?
That used to be the rule of thumb but no more, though it is still the desired number to produce to be most profitable in reruns. In any event if your count of 96 is correct that's just about 100 anyway.
So the reboot is going to be seen for years to come, hopefully not at the expense of the older Classic Magnum being rerun.
Look at how many series - especially on cable - just make 10 or 12 episodes a year now, which is not unusual at all overseas.
In Australia, because it is a far smaller market, series get government subsidies/tax rebates.
When the wildly popular Sea Patrol hit 65 episodes, the cash and the loan of Australian Navy vessels/equipment ran out so the producers had to end it with a mere 68 episodes,
though it's still popular at home and overseas. On You Tube.
Same for the outstanding Sea Change - it was likely inspired by Northern Exposure, they could have called it Southern Exposure - which many put in the top 5 Aussie series of all time.
It has 47 episodes, beautifully filmed on the Victoria coast and the writing and acting and music is superb, especially with the advent of season two.
The season 3 episode "Blowing in The Wind" has a beautiful scene with a character describing what Blues/Jazz music means to him, with a song "Breath" by the fictional Bones Blaxwell
(series composer Richard Pleasance) that will haunt you. I can't understand why no one in our music scene hasn't covered it, or 'sampled' it at least.

As it's very dinki di, fair dinkum Aussie in it's outlook, many European markets did't "get" Sea Change but Americans and Canadians should have no problem with it's nuances.
Summer reruns are here, new series won't be arriving in September or maybe even by Christmas, so check oul some Australian TV.
Instead of viewing yet another studio bound retread Law & Order for the 20th year, check out the Sydney set "Water Rats" about coppers fighting crime around beautiful Sydney Harbour.
But I digress.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If it's not true don't say it. If it's not yours don't take it and if it's not right don't do it"...James Drury's family motto, handed down from his Old West frontiersman grandfather

Philip Jennings
Lieutenant Commander

#29 Post by Philip Jennings »

The 2nd half of season 5 is actually set to return on Wednesday nights starting October 4:
https://deadline.com/2023/07/nbc-fall-s ... 235441741/

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#30 Post by ConchRepublican »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:46 am
ConchRepublican wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:27 pm With less than 100 episodes aired (86 aired, 10 more filmed but not aired) I assume this will not be available for syndication as well?
That used to be the rule of thumb but no more, though it is still the desired number to produce to be most profitable in reruns. In any event if your count of 96 is correct that's just about 100 anyway.
So the reboot is going to be seen for years to come, hopefully not at the expense of the older Classic Magnum being rerun.
Look at how many series - especially on cable - just make 10 or 12 episodes a year now, which is not unusual at all overseas.
In Australia, because it is a far smaller market, series get government subsidies/tax rebates.
When the wildly popular Sea Patrol hit 65 episodes, the cash and the loan of Australian Navy vessels/equipment ran out so the producers had to end it with a mere 68 episodes,
though it's still popular at home and overseas. On You Tube.
Same for the outstanding Sea Change - it was likely inspired by Northern Exposure, they could have called it Southern Exposure - which many put in the top 5 Aussie series of all time.
It has 47 episodes, beautifully filmed on the Victoria coast and the writing and acting and music is superb, especially with the advent of season two.
The season 3 episode "Blowing in The Wind" has a beautiful scene with a character describing what Blues/Jazz music means to him, with a song "Breath" by the fictional Bones Blaxwell
(series composer Richard Pleasance) that will haunt you. I can't understand why no one in our music scene hasn't covered it, or 'sampled' it at least.

As it's very dinki di, fair dinkum Aussie in it's outlook, many European markets did't "get" Sea Change but Americans and Canadians should have no problem with it's nuances.
Summer reruns are here, new series won't be arriving in September or maybe even by Christmas, so check oul some Australian TV.
Instead of viewing yet another studio bound retread Law & Order for the 20th year, check out the Sydney set "Water Rats" about coppers fighting crime around beautiful Sydney Harbour.
But I digress.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If it's not true don't say it. If it's not yours don't take it and if it's not right don't do it"...James Drury's family motto, handed down from his Old West frontiersman grandfather
I guess if the H5O reboot is in syndication (though it was on many years longer) I'm guessing someone may try and syndicate this as well. My hope is those ratings will be less than an infomercial and this show will fade, leaving the true MPI for people to continue to enjoy.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04