Season 5 Episode 20: The Big Squeeze (5.20)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

Perfect
No votes
One of the Best
No votes
Excellent
No votes
Very Good
No votes
Pretty Good
No votes
Decent
No votes
Average at Best
No votes
Not So Good
No votes
Pretty Bad
No votes
Just Awful
No votes

Total votes: 0

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 5 Episode 20: The Big Squeeze (5.20)

#1 Post by KENJI »

Just a title at this point.
It will be interesting to see if this will be the very last episode of the reboot or will they renew for another season.
I'm guessing we won't see it until the fall.
Thanks for finding the title Laohu!
Last edited by KENJI on Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 5 Episode 20: The Big Squeeze (5.20)

#2 Post by Laohu »

Kenji , we might not get to see episodes 11-20 until fall so it might be the next year until we find out if they will make more episodes. All 20 episodes have been written and as far as I can tell they are still filming them. It is still unclear to me when they will air episodes 11-20 .

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by KENJI »

Hi Laohu,

Fall makes sense for episodes 11-20. A little long to wait, but I understand the reasoning. At the very least they really need the last episode to pack some punch so we are demanding more. Our beloved original renewed for another season when viewers saw Magnum being shot and going to the pearly gates.....it can't end that way! Thank goodness Tom Selleck signed on for another season. I know all the staff were relieved too. Maybe this time they have Higgy being fatally shot by the person hunting the guys and T.M. is once again heart broken and on his own. Hmm......Hannah was shot too, so that might not happen.....maybe she gets stabbed in a struggle trying to save T.M.. Who knows, maybe it's a repeat performance of the original where it's a wedding, but between T.M. & Higgy. Whatever it is they need to hit a homerun with the fans to have a chance at more episodes. They should have at least one episode where they are saving Robin. I would really like them to finish the white Escalade story from last season too. A lot to stuff in 10 episodes. Time will tell where they take us.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Laohu »

I could see the show ending in a wedding with Robin Masters in attendance. I think episode 520 might be to soon for that to happen . The writers seem to have already written episode 520 . If we have to wait until fall to see it air then after that they have to wait to see if the show is picked up it will leave the writers room dark for a very long time . Some TV shows have gotten a big boost by airing new episodes in the summer months while everyone else is showing reruns . If they choose to go this route we could see 601 in January ?

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I thought it was already set in stone that there would be only 1 more season (after CBS cancelled it) - season 5 with 20 episodes. You guys think there will be a 6th?

They were supposed to split up the 20 episodes of season 5 over two seasons. I don't watch the show but I'm assuming they already showed episodes 1-10? And then 11-20 are supposed to be shown next season (next fall)? And then that's it, right?

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by KENJI »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:54 pm I thought it was already set in stone that there would be only 1 more season (after CBS cancelled it) - season 5 with 20 episodes. You guys think there will be a 6th?

They were supposed to split up the 20 episodes of season 5 over two seasons. I don't watch the show but I'm assuming they already showed episodes 1-10? And then 11-20 are supposed to be shown next season (next fall)? And then that's it, right?
HI Ivan,

If it can come back from being cancelled, another season could be possible. None of us know for sure.....more wishful thinking than anything. Episodes 9 and 10 haven't aired yet, but 11-20 should come out in either the summer or fall. Episode 20 might be the finale for the show, but you never know.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by KENJI »

Laohu wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:59 am I could see the show ending in a wedding with Robin Masters in attendance. I think episode 520 might be to soon for that to happen . The writers seem to have already written episode 520 . If we have to wait until fall to see it air then after that they have to wait to see if the show is picked up it will leave the writers room dark for a very long time . Some TV shows have gotten a big boost by airing new episodes in the summer months while everyone else is showing reruns . If they choose to go this route we could see 601 in January ?
If they got the ball rolling in the early episodes of 11 to 20 they could squeeze a wedding in for 520. They could even cheat a little and say at the beginning of an episode.....i.e. 6 months later etc..... to help aid with the time line. I like the idea of Robin attending, but I think we shouldn't see his face......maybe the back of his head at the bar or walking Higgy down the aisle. We might be sooo far off hear, but it's always fun to come with storylines/scenarios.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Laohu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:54 pm I thought it was already set in stone that there would be only 1 more season (after CBS cancelled it) - season 5 with 20 episodes. You guys think there will be a 6th?

The chance for renewal has always been part of the deal . Just like any other show it is a wait and see what happens . I think the deck might be stacked against a renewal if we don’t see episodes 11-20 until fall . It is a long time for a show to go dark and have to gear back up for production . Universal might be the deciding factor as to what happens in the end will they make a deal to keep it on the air ?after all some money is better then no money .

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Laohu »

KENJI wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:21 pm
Laohu wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:59 am I could see the show ending in a wedding with Robin Masters in attendance. I think episode 520 might be to soon for that to happen . The writers seem to have already written episode 520 . If we have to wait until fall to see it air then after that they have to wait to see if the show is picked up it will leave the writers room dark for a very long time . Some TV shows have gotten a big boost by airing new episodes in the summer months while everyone else is showing reruns . If they choose to go this route we could see 601 in January ?
If they got the ball rolling in the early episodes of 11 to 20 they could squeeze a wedding in for 520. They could even cheat a little and say at the beginning of an episode.....i.e. 6 months later etc..... to help aid with the time line. I like the idea of Robin attending, but I think we shouldn't see his face......maybe the back of his head at the bar or walking Higgy down the aisle. We might be sooo far off hear, but it's always fun to come with storylines/scenarios.
I like the idea of Robin giving Higgins away but not so sure about not seeing his face . I guess it depends on who plays him . I don’t think you really need to go the Charlie’s Angels route like they did in the old show . If you had a big name play him then maybe just show him for the back until he walks Higgins down the aisle. Would be great if the reveal turned out to be Tom Selleck.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by KENJI »

Laohu wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:15 pm
KENJI wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:21 pm
I like the idea of Robin giving Higgins away but not so sure about not seeing his face . I guess it depends on who plays him . I don’t think you really need to go the Charlie’s Angels route like they did in the old show . If you had a big name play him then maybe just show him for the back until he walks Higgins down the aisle. Would be great if the reveal turned out to be Tom Selleck.
I doubt very much we will see Tom Selleck in the reboot- EVER! Even if they were willing to pay him boat loads of cash he would decline. A nice thought Laohu, but I just don't see it happening.....Selleck is MAGNUM, not Robin or anybody else. I still like the idea of Robin remaining a mystery, but who knows what they have planned.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Laohu »

Kenji Selleck was Thomas Magnum . Jay Hernandez is currently Thomas Magnum and doing a great Job . Someone else will eventually play the role Thomas Magnum . it is just a matter of how long it takes for that to happen . These men are actors and they understand that the role is their’s for a limited time . I don’t think Selleck would jump networks at this point and I don’t think NBC would shell out the cash to get him to do it . It is just fun to think about and it would give the show a nice closure . I really always wanted to see Roger Moore play Robin Masters on the original show but I am having trouble of thinking of a actor to play him now .

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by KENJI »

Hey Laohu,

I guess you're missing my point Selleck isn't going to come over to play another role. He doesn't need the cash and it's insulting imo to ask him to play anything but Magnum which obviously doesn't work in the reboot as Jay is playing the role now. Yes, Selleck time as Magnum is over, unless you count reruns. :wink: He has retired his aloha shirt and doesn't need to support the reboot...why would he. It's always fun to think about it, but in reality it's not going to happen. Roger Moore is an interesting choice for Robin or even Orson Welles when he was alive.I vaguely remember there was talk of Orson/Robin showing his face , but he died before it happened. I think for the reboot you need someone 40ish, who is a adrenalin junkie. I would stay away from a stiff/proper gent for the current show, but that's just my 2 cents worth.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi guys, am reading your posts with interest. Richard Branson as Robin would be perfect but very unlikely to ever happen. Unless of course he's a huge MPI fan and might like the opportunity. 🤔
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by KENJI »

terryfromkerry wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:27 am Hi guys, am reading your posts with interest. Richard Branson as Robin would be perfect but very unlikely to ever happen. Unless of course he's a huge MPI fan and might like the opportunity. 🤔
Hi Terry,

Good one!
He's definitely an adrenalin junkie!!

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Laohu »

terryfromkerry wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:27 am Hi guys, am reading your posts with interest. Richard Branson as Robin would be perfect but very unlikely to ever happen. Unless of course he's a huge MPI fan and might like the opportunity. 🤔
Branson could be a good choice depending on how large the role was . He really would not have to act much just be himself .