Season 5 Episode 9: Out of Sight, Out of Mind (5.9)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

Perfect
33%
One of the Best
17%
Excellent
33%
Very Good
17%
Pretty Good
No votes
Decent
No votes
Average at Best
No votes
Not So Good
No votes
Pretty Bad
No votes
Just Awful
No votes

Total votes: 6

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 5 Episode 9: Out of Sight, Out of Mind (5.9)

#1 Post by KENJI »

Title

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 5 Episode 9: Out of Sight, Out of Mind (5.9)

#2 Post by KENJI »

Magnum and Higgins take on a case that sends Higgins inside a psychiatric hospital. Katsumoto and his son, Dennis, head to the mainland to look at colleges, but their trip takes a harrowing turn when a run-in with a local turns ugly.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by KENJI »

I just saw the trailer/teaser for this episode and it flashes the words wedding or funeral? on the screen and what looks like Magnum possibly proposing to Higgy with a ring box. Maybe she gets her very own team ring.....welcome to the club -every girl's dream :lol: .....that would be appropriate as he can't afford a diamond - lol). They also show Higgy in trouble with blood on her.....it doesn't mean it's her blood, but maybe it is. Yet another thought....T.M. did propose and something bad happens to Higgy and their relationship goes into limbo. I would be surprised if the Higgy/Magnum romance didn't get bumpy or sad at some point. A wedding seems way too soon, but maybe the show isn't getting renewed and they have to speed things up to fit everything in.....a complete guess.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by KENJI »

No ring or wedding for Higgy, but it sure looks as though Detective Childs is dead, so a funeral it is then.
T.C. is first to get shot by the hit crew and it appears Rick will be next up in episode 10. They will both recover to live another day and Magnum & Higgy will save the day.
I can totally see Higgy going to the dark side to save Magnum after hearing that she feels guilt/responsible for Richard losing his life. She doesn't want the same to happen to Magnum so she will do whatever it takes to prevent a repeat performance.....time will tell how it all plays out.

Amian
Admiral

#5 Post by Amian »

KENJI wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:52 am No ring or wedding for Higgy, but it sure looks as though Detective Childs is dead, so a funeral it is then.
I think that was the first "oh sh*t" moment I've had with the reboot. It took me by surprise. And I actually thought he was a good addition to the series.

Overall, a dramatic episode that was engrossing all the way through!

And I enjoyed the winking jab at Juliette's American accent.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Laohu »

Tim Kang really does his best work when Jay is directing we have to give Jay credit for another well directed episode.going to be fun to see what they have planned for next week . So how long does everyone think it will take before we have a episode where they sink Rick’s house boat ?

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by KENJI »

Amian wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:28 pm
KENJI wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:52 am No ring or wedding for Higgy, but it sure looks as though Detective Childs is dead, so a funeral it is then.
I think that was the first "oh sh*t" moment I've had with the reboot. It took me by surprise. And I actually thought he was a good addition to the series.

Overall, a dramatic episode that was engrossing all the way through!

And I enjoyed the winking jab at Juliette's American accent.
Hi Amian,

I would say it was one of the best episodes to date.
I think Detective Childs felt that "Oh sh*t" moment too Amian! :wink:
They were overdue for some good shock value and it delivered. I had a hunch someone on the show was going to die, but not Childs. I actually preferred Chris to Gordie.
There were a few hints he was going to be the one going down when Magnum told the detective that he didn't want to see him get hurt and maybe he should stand down on this one which is a bit weird to say to a cop. Also when he was all by himself in the middle of the night checking out the last rental, you could sense an uh-oh or oh sh*t moment was about to happen. The trip wire was perfect for such an occasion.
Episode 10 looks really good based on the quick trailer that is out there!

I enjoyed that moment too when Juliette was busted by that patient for her American accent.

Vxc961
Lieutenant

#8 Post by Vxc961 »

Man, I’ve only watched this season sporadically, and often While cleaning in the kitchen or otherwise distracted…but I’ve really like this season and especially this episode!

I’m finding the episodes this season fine to good, but I’m really liking how they’re teasing out the Buck Greene thing and the end of this one with the mercenaries had me on the edge of my seat! I can’t wait for next week and I’m hoping I can go back and watch this season again when I’m paying more attention

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Laohu wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:04 pm Tim Kang really does his best work when Jay is directing we have to give Jay credit for another well directed episode.going to be fun to see what they have planned for next week . So how long does everyone think it will take before we have a episode where they sink Rick’s house boat ?
Laohu,
As I was watching this I was again thinking how much better the direction was, the choice of establishing shots, composition, the whole nine yards. Not that I'm an expert but if I do notice
such things then the director is doing good, as 95% of the time when I watch a TV series the direction is just workmanlike.
I didn't know till you mentioned it that it was Jay who directed.
Last season when he first started directing/producing I was impressed with the uptick in quality.
I remember going back to see who was behind one episode - it was Jay - as FINALLY during a solemn military rite that the boys attended in full uniform Magnum was clean shaven, without the 5
day beard all Lenkov leading men were required to have. The ceremony came off as far more dignified and respectful without the viewer wanting to chuck a razor at the screen and say 'use it'.

Plus that ceremony didn't have, as sometimes in the past, that fanboy wannabe fetishization of the military that under Lenkov seemed to be saying
"this is so cool, the uniforms so bad, golly gee these guys got to be in combat and slay other people".

I wonder, since all that crap and the mass firefights are gone now, seemingly starting with Jay's rise behind the cameras, if he is now the main creative force behind the series or at least having a major say.

Maybe that local paper - the Honolulu Star? - that covered so much of the reboot's behind the scenes stuff had or will have something on it in the future.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Laohu »

I don’t know how much input or power Jay has on the show . One would think that on the episodes that he directs he has more say . Jay seems to have great relationships with the rest of the cast and I think that translates on the screen . Lenkov gave us some good episodes before CBS fired him so why try to kick a man when he is down ?

jno
Captain

#11 Post by jno »

The whole two-parter at the end of this series was superb. Loved it, wish there were more like this!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Laohu wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:31 pm I don’t know how much input or power Jay has on the show . One would think that on the episodes that he directs he has more say . Jay seems to have great relationships with the rest of the cast and I think that translates on the screen . Lenkov gave us some good episodes before CBS fired him so why try to kick a man when he is down ?
Lenkov isn't exactly "down" while he is floating on a ocean of cash from the Hawaii 5-0 remake.
Rather I dislike him because Hawaii 5 - 0 could/should have been so much more. He reduced the entire series to a lazy, formulaic by the numbers machine.
So much of it didn't make any sense, such as the head of 5-0 dressing like a refugee from the Back Street Boys, with a perpetual 3 day beard and an
Aussie accent sneaking in here and there.
Professional people in whatever field would never take him seriously dressed like that, especially ones from other nations.
The original series had more than a few moments of absolute brilliance, ending with the surprise signature shot that hit you right between the eyes,
accompanied by spot on music.
Jack Lord would have despised Lenkov's version.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:37 am
Laohu wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:31 pm I don’t know how much input or power Jay has on the show . One would think that on the episodes that he directs he has more say . Jay seems to have great relationships with the rest of the cast and I think that translates on the screen . Lenkov gave us some good episodes before CBS fired him so why try to kick a man when he is down ?
Lenkov isn't exactly "down" while he is floating on a ocean of cash from the Hawaii 5-0 remake.
Rather I dislike him because Hawaii 5 - 0 could/should have been so much more. He reduced the entire series to a lazy, formulaic by the numbers machine.
So much of it didn't make any sense, such as the head of 5-0 dressing like a refugee from the Back Street Boys, with a perpetual 3 day beard and an
Professional people in whatever field would never take him seriously dressed like that, especially ones from other nations.
The original series had more than a few moments of absolute brilliance, ending with the surprise signature shot that hit you right between the eyes,
Couldn't have put it better myself. The idea of McGarrett wearing cargo shorts is just repulsive to me! :x Jack Lord surely is spinning in his grave. After one or two episodes back when it came out in 2010 I knew this show wasn't for me. And don't get me started on the endless SWAT shootouts and explosions in broad daylight in the middle of busy Honolulu streets or those cringy car-guments between "Steve" and "Danno". Barf! In the middle of a tense police chase they'd be bickering like an old couple about who left the toilet seat up! I just couldn't stand that crap. You couldn't even call it a police procedural because everything was reduced to a grade-school level, right down to making fun of corpses and whatnot. And the man behind all this is Lenkov, who had the gall to keep reassuring everyone that he was being very respectful to the original series and its legacy. Gimme a break! This crap show wasn't even in the same universe as the original. Aside from the location of Hawaii there was NOTHING that these shows had in common. The man is a hack - pure and simple. And he proved it again with MacGyver and now MPI. And like it or not, the content of his shows reflects his character. Which isn't very flattering because clearly he's into all this sophomoric humor and shallow nonsense. As a show-runner you have an image in your mind for the show you're making. It reflects what's important to you and what you want to share with your audience. If this is what's important to him and what he really wants to share with the audience then it shows what he's all about. A pretty shallow individual. So I wasn't at all surprised to find him in hot water over some of his actions. He just seemed like that kind of guy to me. A pretty shallow guy who's in it for a quick buck and some fame/notoriety and not for any artistic merit.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:06 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:37 am
Couldn't have put it better myself. The idea of McGarrett wearing cargo shorts is just repulsive to me! :x Jack Lord surely is spinning in his grave. After one or two episodes back when it came out in 2010 I knew this show wasn't for me. And don't get me started on the endless SWAT shootouts and explosions in broad daylight in the middle of busy Honolulu streets or those cringy car-guments between "Steve" and "Danno". Barf! In the middle of a tense police chase they'd be bickering like an old couple about who left the toilet seat up! I just couldn't stand that crap. You couldn't even call it a police procedural because everything was reduced to a grade-school level, right down to making fun of corpses and whatnot. And the man behind all this is Lenkov, who had the gall to keep reassuring everyone that he was being very respectful to the original series and its legacy. Gimme a break! This crap show wasn't even in the same universe as the original. Aside from the location of Hawaii there was NOTHING that these shows had in common. The man is a hack - pure and simple. And he proved it again with MacGyver and now MPI. And like it or not, the content of his shows reflects his character. Which isn't very flattering because clearly he's into all this sophomoric humor and shallow nonsense. As a show-runner you have an image in your mind for the show you're making. It reflects what's important to you and what you want to share with your audience. If this is what's important to him and what he really wants to share with the audience then it shows what he's all about. A pretty shallow individual. So I wasn't at all surprised to find him in hot water over some of his actions. He just seemed like that kind of guy to me. A pretty shallow guy who's in it for a quick buck and some fame/notoriety and not for any artistic merit.
Ivan,
You did put it better yourself! You perfectly summed him up - "the content of his shows reflects his character." Spot on.