Just Awful
No votes

Total votes: 6

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 5 Episode 4: NSFW (5.4)

#1 Post by KENJI »

5 Mar. 2023

Magnum and Higgins search for a CEO who has mysteriously vanished. Rick braces for a visit from his wild-child little sister, Ruthie.
Last edited by KENJI on Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 5 Episode 4: NSFW (5.4)

#2 Post by KENJI »

It appears Rick's sister, Ruth has something in common with the original Rick's sister, Wendy....a wild side!
In the original Rick thought Wendy was sweet an innocent, but it appears reboot Rick is well aware that his sister, Ruth is not.
I wonder if she will be anything like Ruth's character from Ozark and end up like her, not to mention Wendy......RIP?

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Laohu »

jno
Captain

#4 Post by jno »

I'd really like them to put a few of the reboot H50 characters back in this series, no idea if they will though.

Amian
Admiral

#5 Post by Amian »

A so-so episode, in my opinion. Higgins' magical hacking skills is always a pet peeve of mine, as it is not only unrealistic, but it takes away chances for sleuthing!

Magnum and Higgins need to break up ASAP. Their little kiss in the office was blech.

Overall, not as good as the first three episodes of the new season... felt a little more like the CBS run.

Rick and TC storylines are pretty good, and the actors are doing well with their roles.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Laohu »

Hi Kenji ,
I agree with you that this episode was as not as good as the first 3 but it was still way better then some of season 1 and 2 episodes . No big explosions no big gun fights. Over all a pretty solid episode. They Also kept Gordie’s screen time down so it did not feel like his show and the rest of the cast were secondary characters like last week . I also agree with you about Rick and TC being good . Rick has really been a stand out his character is the most improved in my book .

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

jno wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:53 am I'd really like them to put a few of the reboot H50 characters back in this series, no idea if they will though.
If I recall correctly three of them appeared, one was a medical examiner who was on several episodes. I stopped watching H50 in the later seasons so I'm not familiar with characters from then.
Whoever played the female cop from 5-0 was quite fetching, could act and I was hoping she would become a regular on the reboot.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Laohu wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:51 am Hi Kenji ,
I agree with you that this episode was as not as good as the first 3 but it was still way better then some of season 1 and 2 episodes . No big explosions no big gun fights. Over all a pretty solid episode. They Also kept Gordie’s screen time down so it did not feel like his show and the rest of the cast were secondary characters like last week . I also agree with you about Rick and TC being good . Rick has really been a stand out his character is the most improved in my book .
I agree with you both, especially that TC and Rick seem to have a real spark to them this season, a carry over from last season.
I used to think both were so so actors, especially "TC", but perhaps it's more a matter of good actors being turned off by all the shoot em up Lenkov BS.
New Rick -Zachary Knighton - is a much better actor than Larry ever was.
Knighton is a better Rick, period, because he is so much better at his craft.
Hillerman, Selleck and Mosley were serious actors, check out their work in the movies, not just TV. But Larry?
I like Larry and I liked his Rick, but let's face it he is more a 7th banana type, he was never going to carry a TV series or command a serious acting part like Mosley's "Leadbelly".

Is it me or has Perdita Weeks as Juliette had, um, chestal enhancements? I was going to say implants but I have no idea anymore what sets off the PC police.
I think it's pretty obvious she had work done and why not, Pamela Anderson did. Regardless, she has to be one of the fittest stars in Hollywood.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:20 am
Laohu wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:51 am Hi Kenji ,
I agree with you both, especially that TC and Rick seem to have a real spark to them this season, a carry over from last season.
I used to think both were so so actors, especially "TC", but perhaps it's more a matter of good actors being turned off by all the shoot em up Lenkov BS.
Hillerman, Selleck and Mosley were serious actors, check out their work in the movies, not just TV. But Larry?
I like Larry and I liked his Rick, but let's face it he is more a 7th banana type, he was never going to carry a TV series or command a serious acting part like Mosley's "Leadbelly".

Is it me or has Perdita Weeks as Juliette had, um, chestal enhancements? I was going to say implants but I have no idea anymore what sets off the PC police.
I think it's pretty obvious she had work done and why not, Pamela Anderson did. Regardless, she has to be one of the fittest stars in Hollywood.
Sorry Dobie, but nobody in the new cast is going to be better than in the original cast. Not even Zach Knighton as Rick. Larry Manetti will forever be Rick and will always be the REAL RICK. He didn't need to be a serious actor or carry a movie the way Mosley did with LEADBELLY but what was required of him in playing the Rick part he did masterfully. He's a bit of a whiner and a sap but that's what the part called for and he was perfect at it. Whereas the new Rick is too cool, too smart, etc. No quirks to speak of. That's the problem with modern television - everyone is too glamorous. Looking good is more important than playing an actual character that feels real. I already mentioned that they could have just cast Knighton in the Magnum role and that probably would have been more believable than Jay Hernandez who's just no Magnum, any way you cut it. But either way none of these characters have that special something that the original ones did. Shiggins is a bonafide computer hacker who can hack into anything and find anything within seconds on her magic computer. That trope has been beaten to death over the last 20 years or so, ever since computers took over our lives. How can anyone not roll their eyes at nonsense like that? :roll: The Five-0 reboot did exactly the same.

Amian
Admiral

#10 Post by Amian »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:14 pm Sorry Dobie, but nobody in the new cast is going to be better than in the original cast. Not even Zach Knighton as Rick. Larry Manetti will forever be Rick and will always be the REAL RICK. He didn't need to be a serious actor or carry a movie the way Mosley did with LEADBELLY but what was required of him in playing the Rick part he did masterfully. He's a bit of a whiner and a sap but that's what the part called for and he was perfect at it. Whereas the new Rick is too cool, too smart, etc. No quirks to speak of.
I see what you're saying, and of course Larry Manetti will always be the original Rick, but... I actually do like the new Rick better. Probably the only character that I can say that is actually better than in the original. Just my preference.
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:14 pm I already mentioned that they could have just cast Knighton in the Magnum role and that probably would have been more believable than Jay Hernandez who's just no Magnum, any way you cut it. But either way none of these characters have that special something that the original ones did.
This is an interesting point I've seen raised elsewhere on this forum, the idea that Knighton would be a better Magnum. And I sort of agree in that Knighton's Rick has a vibe and energy that sort of resembles that of Selleck's Magnum. So, if the reboot wanted to be more faithful to the original in its casting, Knighton would have been a better choice. But, since they decided to mix it up (Hernandez as Magnum, a female Higgins, etc.), we ended up with the roles we have now.
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:14 pm Shiggins is a bonafide computer hacker who can hack into anything and find anything within seconds on her magic computer. That trope has been beaten to death over the last 20 years or so, ever since computers took over our lives. How can anyone not roll their eyes at nonsense like that? :roll: The Five-0 reboot did exactly the same.
I didn't watch the 5-0 reboot, but yes, this magical hacking drives me crazy.

Amian
Admiral

#11 Post by Amian »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:20 am I agree with you both, especially that TC and Rick seem to have a real spark to them this season, a carry over from last season.
It's been good to see the supporting characters getting a good crack at some story lines.
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:20 am Is it me or has Perdita Weeks as Juliette had, um, chestal enhancements? I was going to say implants but I have no idea anymore what sets off the PC police. I think it's pretty obvious she had work done and why not, Pamela Anderson did. Regardless, she has to be one of the fittest stars in Hollywood.
To me, Juliette doesn't look any different, but I think the camera work is emphasizing her chest a bit more... someone mentioned in an earlier episode thread that the NBC episodes have a little more T&A, which I think is accurate so far. That said, enhance away!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:14 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:20 am
Sorry Dobie, but nobody in the new cast is going to be better than in the original cast. Not even Zach Knighton as Rick. Larry Manetti will forever be Rick and will always be the REAL RICK. He didn't need to be a serious actor or carry a movie the way Mosley did with LEADBELLY but what was required of him in playing the Rick part he did masterfully. He's a bit of a whiner and a sap but that's what the part called for and he was perfect at it. Whereas the new Rick is too cool, too smart, etc. No quirks to speak of. That's the problem with modern television - everyone is too glamorous. Looking good is more important than playing an actual character that feels real. I already mentioned that they could have just cast Knighton in the Magnum role and that probably would have been more believable than Jay Hernandez who's just no Magnum, any way you cut it. But either way none of these characters have that special something that the original ones did. Shiggins is a bonafide computer hacker who can hack into anything and find anything within seconds on her magic computer. That trope has been beaten to death over the last 20 years or so, ever since computers took over our lives. How can anyone not roll their eyes at nonsense like that? :roll: The Five-0 reboot did exactly the same.
[/quote]

Ivan,
I agree with much of what you say. The magic of the original cast can never be replicated, the whole is far greater than the sum of it's parts. If I had to choose between consigning every episode
of Classic Magnum or the reboot to the flames, out goes the reboot. But Larry Manetti at times made me wince at his performances, decades before the reboot came on the scene.
You are right, the part of Rick in the original was a sap, a whiner, a light weight in every way as the writers made him that way.
Maybe it was a reaction by the writers because in the earliest episodes Larry couldn't bring off the obvious inspiration for his character, Rick Blaine from Casablanca.
It was painful to watch him in the one or two episodes he was seen in that mode, though to be fair, how many actors could fill Bogie's shoes.
I wish I could be more specific but other than a handful of episodes I haven't watched classic Magnum for quite awhile as I was becoming too familiar with it, and I didn't want to wind up
being indifferent it to it like I am with The Maltese Falcon, ruined by too may viewings, the story devoid of all drama.
Maybe I should have put it this way: Knighton's "Rick" character and the year four and five story lines require an acting effort that Larry doesn't command.
But as you said, it wasn't like a Spencer Tracy was needed for the Classic Rick. And the chemistry of the original 4 amigos is what makes Magnum among my favorite series ever.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Amian wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:33 am
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:20 am I agree with you both, especially that TC and Rick seem to have a real spark to them this season, a carry over from last season.
It's been good to see the supporting characters getting a good crack at some story lines.
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:20 am Is it me or has Perdita Weeks as Juliette had, um, chestal enhancements? I was going to say implants but I have no idea anymore what sets off the PC police. I think it's pretty obvious she had work done and why not, Pamela Anderson did. Regardless, she has to be one of the fittest stars in Hollywood.
To me, Juliette doesn't look any different, but I think the camera work is emphasizing her chest a bit more... someone mentioned in an earlier episode thread that the NBC episodes have a little more T&A, which I think is accurate so far. That said, enhance away!
Hi Amian,
After reading your response I did a quick search and the many stories - a Honolulu paper looked into it - on the subject pretty much agree with me, she had the work done.
It does agree with her, she is not so angular and if this does result in more beach scenes for her along with the local Hawaiian girls I'm not complaining.
The original Magnum constantly had beach babes in the background at the King Kamehameha Club, for one.

By the way, I hate how the new series constantly has characters mention Higgins status as ex MI6. She almost certainly would not have told her family about that,
much less Robin and Magnum and half of Hawaii. In fact she more than likely would have had a dossier on ex Seal Magnum and would report back on any juicy bit of info
he might have let slip. We do that with our closest allies as well, Magnum would have been approached by our people once they learned of Higgy's status.
The British Official Secrets Act covers lots of territory, there just ain't no way Higgy is so open regarding her history.
Much of David Niven's WW 2 service is still secret, Patrick Macnee's as well, his cover was he served on a Royal Navy MTB ( PT boat to you and me).

----------------------------------------------------------
"Stop looking in mirrors, Janie. There are windows all around"...Linc Case (Route 66)
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amian
Admiral

#14 Post by Amian »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:10 am
Amian wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:33 am To me, Juliette doesn't look any different, but I think the camera work is emphasizing her chest a bit more... someone mentioned in an earlier episode thread that the NBC episodes have a little more T&A, which I think is accurate so far. That said, enhance away!
Hi Amian,
After reading your response I did a quick search and the many stories - a Honolulu paper looked into it - on the subject pretty much agree with me, she had the work done.
It does agree with her, she is not so angular and if this does result in more beach scenes for her along with the local Hawaiian girls I'm not complaining.
The original Magnum constantly had beach babes in the background at the King Kamehameha Club, for one.
Interesting, I stand corrected! I figured it was just camera work. But yes, nothing strange about some hot bodies on the beach in Hawaii. The original Magnum not only had the background actresses... Selleck was probably the biggest "babe" in the series.
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:10 am By the way, I hate how the new series constantly has characters mention Higgins status as ex MI6. She almost certainly would not have told her family about that, much less Robin and Magnum and half of Hawaii. In fact she more than likely would have had a dossier on ex Seal Magnum and would report back on any juicy bit of info he might have let slip. ... The British Official Secrets Act covers lots of territory, there just ain't no way Higgy is so open regarding her history.
For sure, you have to suspend belief on a lot of things, but Higgins' background and magical hacking skills are two of the most egregious in the show.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Amian wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:38 pm Selleck was probably the biggest "babe" in the series.
Ewwww :x our own TM a "babe"? :? :shock: :lol: