Season 5 Episode 2: The Breaking Point (5.2)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

Perfect
14%
One of the Best
No votes
Excellent
14%
Very Good
43%
Pretty Good
29%
Decent
No votes
Average at Best
No votes
Not So Good
No votes
Pretty Bad
No votes
Just Awful
No votes

Total votes: 7

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 5 Episode 2: The Breaking Point (5.2)

#1 Post by KENJI »

Magnum and Higgins go undercover as lifeguards in order to solve a murder; Jin Jeong wins a storage unit auction and enlists the help of Rick and TC upon finding a stolen military medal.
Last edited by KENJI on Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 5 Episode 2: The Breaking Point (5.2)

#2 Post by KENJI »

Blooper......Check out the brother's pants at the end of the episode when he walks into the ocean to spread his sister's ashes.....they are already SOAKED before he goes into the ocean.
I wonder how many takes they did for this scene. :wink:

Amian
Admiral

#3 Post by Amian »

Okay, Jin was pretty funny this episode.

Undercover lifeguards, now we're talking! Perfect opportunity for some camp, and it was well played imo. A little funny and silly, and also a rescue to boot. Plus Higgins doing an American accent is good for a chuckle.

Kenji, I also noticed the funeral scene blooper with the wet pants. That was a weak scene all around... as if the brother would invite those particular people to the ceremony, especially the new HPD chief.

Seems like a bit more of Magnum's voice over in these first two episodes compared to previous ones.

Ep. 1 had the shower scene that was surely a call back to Echoes of the Mind, and ep. 2 has Buck Greene. Nice.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Amian wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:39 pm Okay, Jin was pretty funny this episode.

Undercover lifeguards, now we're talking! Perfect opportunity for some camp, and it was well played imo. A little funny and silly, and also a rescue to boot. Plus Higgins doing an American accent is good for a chuckle.

Kenji, I also noticed the funeral scene blooper with the wet pants. That was a weak scene all around... as if the brother would invite those particular people to the ceremony, especially the new HPD chief.

Seems like a bit more of Magnum's voice over in these first two episodes compared to previous ones.

Ep. 1 had the shower scene that was surely a call back to Echoes of the Mind, and ep. 2 has Buck Greene. Nice.
I agree with your points, Amian.
If they are going to knock off the classic old characters like Buck Greene, can they PLEASE bump off that clueless, awful, awful Luther Gillis they showed some seasons back?
What a scrung-o.
Looks they are going for more T & A this season, I can't recall Higgy spending so much time - or ever - in a bikini, plus the other women in the extended beach scenes.
On the other hand, it was a beach.

Amian
Admiral

#5 Post by Amian »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:41 am If they are going to knock off the classic old characters like Buck Greene, can they PLEASE bump off that clueless, awful, awful Luther Gillis they showed some seasons back?
What a scrung-o.
Honestly I am not sure I remember the "new" Luther Gillis. Maybe the writers sent him on an extended vacation.
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:41 am Looks they are going for more T & A this season, I can't recall Higgy spending so much time - or ever - in a bikini, plus the other women in the extended beach scenes.
On the other hand, it was a beach.
Ha, yes, I noticed that, too. But as you wrote, it was a beach. All part of the Hawaii scenery. Might as well give the people what they want! A little more skin won't hurt the ratings, I imagine.

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#6 Post by Aloha Friday »

Jin! I like that character and the "storage wars" story line was fun. The Purple Heart sub-sub-plot was a bit of a reach, but overall good episode. Seems to be off to a good start.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Laohu »

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by eagle »

On the beach, while pretending to be a lifeguard, Magnum is wearing a watch that is not a Rolex. Can anybody identify it?