No votes
Just Awful
No votes

Total votes: 6

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 5 Episode 1: The Passenger (5.1)

#1 Post by KENJI »

Magnum and Higgins weigh the risks of pursuing a relationship; Rick juggles being a new father and running La Mariana; Katsumoto tries to figure out his next move.
Last edited by KENJI on Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amian
Admiral

Re: Season 5 Episode 1: The Passenger (5.1)

#2 Post by Amian »

Not a bad start to the NBC run! I don't know whether or not the showrunners or anything else has changed from when the show was on CBS, but I'd think they might want to have a slightly different tone... just because. The writers seem to be aware of the audience's (i.e. my) eye-rolling when it comes to the Higgins/Magnum pairing, and I think they are going to milk it for a little while. However, I don't think the romance will last long. Time will tell!

New HPD chief (Katsumoto's replacement) is antagonistic so far, which I like.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Amian wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:33 pm Not a bad start to the NBC run! I don't know whether or not the showrunners or anything else has changed from when the show was on CBS, but I'd think they might want to have a slightly different tone... just because. The writers seem to be aware of the audience's (i.e. my) eye-rolling when it comes to the Higgins/Magnum pairing, and I think they are going to milk it for a little while. However, I don't think the romance will last long. Time will tell!
New HPD chief (Katsumoto's replacement) is antagonistic so far, which I like.
From the last half of season 4 on, the series definitely had a different feel, perhaps they were finally able to weed out the last of the Lenkov loyalists.
Plus did you see the producer credits for Jay on some of them? And no more 6 day beard while in full uniform when they had to wear one.
I don't think the supporting actors believed in the material early on, especially "TC" who just walked thru his part. Now everyone seems onboard, the writing is light years better
and they are doing PI stories instead of super hero soldiers in mass firefights on Hotel street.
The lower budgets should help the series, keeping the stories more realistic without the bombastic Lenkov touches.
You mentioned the new copper, if they have him in the role of series nemesis and plot/character device, you don't need Katsumoto anymore if he isn't going to join the Higgins-Magnum PI
firm. Unless he is reinstated and the new copper sent packing. Or maybe this is the start of a story arc where he leaves the series or is bumped off.

Amian
Admiral

#4 Post by Amian »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:13 am From the last half of season 4 on, the series definitely had a different feel, perhaps they were finally able to weed out the last of the Lenkov loyalists.
Plus did you see the producer credits for Jay on some of them? And no more 6 day beard while in full uniform when they had to wear one.
I didn't notice the credits, but I agree with the difference in the show's overall feeling in the last season.
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:13 am I don't think the supporting actors believed in the material early on, especially "TC" who just walked thru his part. Now everyone seems onboard, the writing is light years better and they are doing PI stories instead of super hero soldiers in mass firefights on Hotel street. The lower budgets should help the series, keeping the stories more realistic without the bombastic Lenkov touches.
Yes, this! The writing has improved dramatically from season 1, and I will be very happy if they stick to PI stories with some other intrigue from the past popping up here and there. Less bombast, please. Small doses go a long way.[/quote]
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:13 am You mentioned the new copper, if they have him in the role of series nemesis and plot/character device, you don't need Katsumoto anymore if he isn't going to join the Higgins-Magnum PI firm. Unless he is reinstated and the new copper sent packing. Or maybe this is the start of a story arc where he leaves the series or is bumped off.
I've always felt like Katsumoto is a weak character... can't quite hit the right balance of friend/enemy, and his Ducati just seems out of character.

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#5 Post by Aloha Friday »

Pretty good start for the new network/new season...not a fan of the romance, but there are hints it is temporary.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Laohu »