Season 5

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

Season 5

#1 Post by Laohu »

The fifth season of Magnum P.I. premieres Sunday, February 19, 2023.
Ok maniacs plan those watch parties!

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 5

#2 Post by Chris109 »

Laohu wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:37 am The fifth season of Magnum P.I. premieres Sunday, February 19, 2023.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by T.Q. »

Chris109 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:57 am
Laohu wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:37 am The fifth season of Magnum P.I. premieres Sunday, February 19, 2023.
:lol:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:42 pm
I understand this was the 1960s and things were different back then but even for its time I think it was extremely insensitive and racist to cast Leonard Nimoy in the role instead of a real Vulcan. The Vulcan community has experienced more racism and bigotry than any other group. Something to keep in mind next time we so flippantly post images of Vulcans, Spocks, Nimoys, pointy ears, illogical memes, Beatles haircuts, raised eyebrows, blue shirts, etc. :|

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by T.Q. »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:03 am
I understand this was the 1960s and things were different back then but even for its time I think it was extremely insensitive and racist to cast Leonard Nimoy in the role instead of a real Vulcan. The Vulcan community has experienced more racism and bigotry than any other group. Something to keep in mind next time we so flippantly post images of Vulcans, Spocks, Nimoys, pointy ears, illogical memes, Beatles haircuts, raised eyebrows, blue shirts, etc. :|
A valid observation.

#StopVulcanHate
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Chris109 »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:03 am

However:

Image Image

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by terryfromkerry »

Thanks for the info Laohu. While I am a big fan of the Selleck classic MPI show. I did warm to the reboot and I am looking forward to Season 5.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Amian
Admiral

#8 Post by Amian »

Agree, it kind of grew on me. Plenty that falls flat, but the show's improved over its run. I'll be interested to see the re-reboot on NBC.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by KENJI »

I was watching some sports over the weekend on NBC and during the Detroit Lions vs. G.B. Packers game they mentioned the MPI reboot would be back Feb. 19. They also mentioned Selleck coming from Detroit and a few other things about the show. Earlier in the day I was watching golf in Maui, Hawaii and they did the same thing, mentioning the show was coming back Feb. 19th. One of the commentators was even joking that one of the helicopters buzzing around the island was probably TC. Anyways, neat to see they used a Detroit Lions game and golf in Hawaii as a way to get the word out about the show.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Laohu »

Magnum P.I.will stay put at 9 pm, it will now launch with two back-to-back episodes on Feb. 19.

Also of note: NBC is clarifying that the 20 episodes of Magnum it ordered are being billed as a “two-part fifth season” vs. a 10-episode fifth season and a 10-episode sixth season.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Laohu wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:19 pm Magnum P.I.will stay put at 9 pm, it will now launch with two back-to-back episodes on Feb. 19.

Also of note: NBC is clarifying that the 20 episodes of Magnum it ordered are being billed as a “two-part fifth season” vs. a 10-episode fifth season and a 10-episode sixth season.
I don't understand what the point of this "two-part fifth season" is if they already decided to cancel it after this. Isn't the whole point of renewing something to give it a second life and hopefully have it run for more seasons? I just don't understand the reason to renew something for just one more season and then axe it again.

If you recall the 80s sitcom MAMA'S FAMILY (with Vicki Lawrence) that show ran for 2 seasons on NBC and then it was cancelled. Then the powers that be decided to renew the series and run it in syndication, where it ran for an additional 4 seasons. That to me makes sense because they renewed something and gave it even more seasons than it originally had. Here with this MPI reboot that doesn't make sense.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Laohu »

The easy answer is follow the money .

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Laohu »

A familiar face will be returning to Magnum P.I. Guggenheim revealed that Larry Manetti, who appeared on the original Magnum and guest starred on the CBS update, will return for an appearance..

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by terryfromkerry »

Ahh! good to know. I expect he will play the same character who made appearances in Hawaii Five -0 given the two shows are in the same universe so to speak. Thanks for posting Laohu.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by terryfromkerry »

According to IMDB Larry has already made two appearances in Season 2. He plays Nicky "the kid" Demarco. The same character from Hawaii Five -0 reboot. I must have a look at these episodes before Season 5 kick off.