Filming locations for the reboot

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

Filming locations for the reboot

#1 Post by TSMIV »

Hi all,

It’s been a long time since my last post - I hope that all my fellow Magnum Maniacs are well.

Could I please seek the help of the brains trust? Here’s the story:
* My family and I are lucky enough to be travelling to be travelling to Hawaii next month - we can’t wait
* Whilst I’m a 24 carat, 100% and completely loyal fan of the original ‘Magnum PI’ :magnum: (after all, there is only one Mona Lisa’ :lol: ), we’re also partial to the reboot
* I suspect that Season 5 of the reboot may still be being filmed whilst we’re in Hawaii

Does anyone have any hints/tips regarding how we can dig up any information on filming locations so that we could ‘meet’ the cast? (Even if it’s just for 5 seconds…)

I realise that this is probably a ‘Mission Impossible’ request but, if anyone can offer some magical tips as to how to make it happen, its your good selves :)

Many thanks all

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

Re: Filming locations for the reboot

#3 Post by TSMIV »

Hi Laohu - thanks so much for that, this is fantastic! Very kind of you and much appreciated by me. My family and I will definitely visit some of the filming locations referenced in the articles, and, if we manage to ‘bump into’ some of the cast members, you will be the first person that we will tell!

Thanks again for helping me out :lol:

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Laohu »

You are welcome I hope you and your family enjoy the trip . If you know the dates you will be there it might be worth while to contact the Hawaiian film commission. https://filmoffice.hawaii.gov/ . They might be able to let you know if they are currently filming and where while you are there . Not sure if it will help but I think it could be worth a shot .

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

#5 Post by TSMIV »

Laohu wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:06 am You are welcome I hope you and your family enjoy the trip . If you know the dates you will be there it might be worth while to contact the Hawaiian film commission. https://filmoffice.hawaii.gov/ . They might be able to let you know if they are currently filming and where while you are there . Not sure if it will help but I think it could be worth a shot .
Thanks Laohu! - what a great suggestion (and very kind of you to provide the URL to the Hawaiian Film Commission). I will get in contact with them and let you know how I go

Thanks again :)

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Laohu »

Have a wonderful trip and don’t forget to post picture upon your return .

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

#7 Post by TSMIV »

Laohu wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:53 pm Have a wonderful trip and don’t forget to post picture upon your return .
Will do!!! Mahalo again :D

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

TSMIV wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:02 am
Laohu wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:06 am You are welcome I hope you and your family enjoy the trip . If you know the dates you will be there it might be worth while to contact the Hawaiian film commission. https://filmoffice.hawaii.gov/ . They might be able to let you know if they are currently filming and where while you are there . Not sure if it will help but I think it could be worth a shot .
Thanks Laohu! - what a great suggestion (and very kind of you to provide the URL to the Hawaiian Film Commission). I will get in contact with them and let you know how I go

TSMIV,
I hope you have a good time if you luck into a actual shooting location, who knows maybe a cast member may wander over and say hello to the onlookers.
But please have a back up plan if you put aside an entire morning or afternoon for a set visit as you may leave far sooner than planned.

When the TV series "Ed" was filming in my hometown, it was of course exciting at first but the novelty wore off quick.
After the first month the two leads could be filming in Mindowaskin Park and maybe only one or two onlookers would even bother to stop and watch.
Because between the lighting and sound checks etc. they might get in 20 seconds of actual dialog and action in 40 minutes, afterwards the techs and crew busy themselves
setting up the next shot , while the actors retire to their trailers. Though at times the actors do wander over and pose for photos as Tom Cavanagh and Julie Bowen did
with me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action."
...Auric Goldfinger

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:50 am "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action."
...Auric Goldfinger
I don't remember this line from the film. Is that from the book?

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:51 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:50 am "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action."
...Auric Goldfinger
Hi Ivan,
The quote is in the book "Goldfinger" but Ian Fleming filched it from the LRDG, the father of the SAS.
At least according to a British army captain ex SAS drinking buddy of my friend Dave, who had it on a laminated "Lessons Learned" card he carried around with him.
Apparently Ian based (aka swiped) a lot of his work on actual operations and people and why not, a writer writes what he knows and Fleming was involved in that world,
so he would be remiss not to recycle a good line when he saw one.
I thought I had avoided a long explanation of the quote and just let Fleming and Goldfinger get the credit but you just HAD to ask. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Gunn: Does the name Lisa Nye mean anything to you?
Lieutenant Jacoby: It depends on your education. She's a very rich lady and also a very fine sculptress - classical or contemporary. She's no Rodin, but who is?
Peter Gunn: Lieutenant, I'm continually amazed at your knowledge of the fine arts.
Lieutenant Jacoby: The public library is free. Comic books cost money.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:01 am
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:51 pm
...Auric Goldfinger
Hi Ivan,
The quote is in the book "Goldfinger" but Ian Fleming filched it from the LRDG, the father of the SAS.
At least according to a British army captain ex SAS drinking buddy of my friend Dave, who had it on a laminated "Lessons Learned" card he carried around with him.
Apparently Ian based (aka swiped) a lot of his work on actual operations and people and why not, a writer writes what he knows and Fleming was involved in that world,
so he would be remiss not to recycle a good line when he saw one.
I thought I had avoided a long explanation of the quote and just let Fleming and Goldfinger get the credit but you just HAD to ask. :)
I wouldn't have asked but that line really did not ring a bell and I've seen the film countless times. :D Actually there is a line after the golf game which Goldfinger loses, where he tells Bond in a threatening manner that he doesn't believe their meeting was a coincidence and that TWICE Bond has tried to interfere in his affairs. That's when he tells Oddjob to demonstrate to Bond the decapitation of the statue with his bowler hat. But anyway that's not the same as the line you quoted above so I figured I'd ask. :)

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by T.Q. »

TSMIV wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:52 am Hi all,

It’s been a long time since my last post - I hope that all my fellow Magnum Maniacs are well.

* My family and I are lucky enough to be travelling to be travelling to Hawaii next month - we can’t wait
* Whilst I’m a 24 carat, 100% and completely loyal fan of the original ‘Magnum PI’ :magnum: (after all, there is only one Mona Lisa’ :lol: ), we’re also partial to the reboot
* I suspect that Season 5 of the reboot may still be being filmed whilst we’re in Hawaii

Does anyone have any hints/tips regarding how we can dig up any information on filming locations so that we could ‘meet’ the cast? (Even if it’s just for 5 seconds…)

I realise that this is probably a ‘Mission Impossible’ request but, if anyone can offer some magical tips as to how to make it happen, its your good selves :)

Many thanks all
Hope you find them.

I saw the reboot Hawaii Five-O filming once. Scott Caan and Alex O’Loughlin. Was fun.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

#13 Post by TSMIV »

Hi there Luther's nephew,

Firstly, please excuse my rude tardiness in not responding earlier - I didn't realise that there had been another reply!

Many thanks for the kind wishes and that is really sage advice about having a back-up plan. If my family and I were lucky enough to 'stumble across' a filming location (which I know is a huge long shot in itself), we wouldn't hang around for hours (albeit it would be amazing if Jay, Perdita, Stephen, Zachary or Amy popped over to say hello! :D )

Gee that must have been a thrill to meet some of the cast members from 'Ed' and have some photos with them! (that was a great show)

Thanks again for passing on the sage advice

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:50 am
TSMIV wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:02 am

TSMIV,
I hope you have a good time if you luck into a actual shooting location, who knows maybe a cast member may wander over and say hello to the onlookers.
But please have a back up plan if you put aside an entire morning or afternoon for a set visit as you may leave far sooner than planned.

When the TV series "Ed" was filming in my hometown, it was of course exciting at first but the novelty wore off quick.
After the first month the two leads could be filming in Mindowaskin Park and maybe only one or two onlookers would even bother to stop and watch.
Because between the lighting and sound checks etc. they might get in 20 seconds of actual dialog and action in 40 minutes, afterwards the techs and crew busy themselves
setting up the next shot , while the actors retire to their trailers. Though at times the actors do wander over and pose for photos as Tom Cavanagh and Julie Bowen did
with me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action."
...Auric Goldfinger

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

#14 Post by TSMIV »

Hi TQ,

Thanks for the nice wishes and, as per my note to Luther's nephew, please accept my apologies for the rude tardiness of my response! (I had not realised that there had been another reply)

That must have been a real blast to see Scott Caan and Alex O'Loughlin (a fellow Australian! 8) ). Did you get to meet them? Did they wander over and say hello?

Thanks again

T.Q. wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:14 pm

Many thanks all
Hope you find them.

I saw the reboot Hawaii Five-O filming once. Scott Caan and Alex O’Loughlin. Was fun.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by T.Q. »

TSMIV wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:06 am Hi TQ,

Thanks for the nice wishes and, as per my note to Luther's nephew, please accept my apologies for the rude tardiness of my response! (I had not realised that there had been another reply)

That must have been a real blast to see Scott Caan and Alex O'Loughlin (a fellow Australian! 8) ). Did you get to meet them? Did they wander over and say hello?

Thanks again

T.Q. wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:14 pm

Many thanks all
Hope you find them.

No. They just walked by us at the Marriott to do a scene there. Then we watched for a few minutes from very far away.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.