Season 4 Episode 18: Shallow Grave, Deep Water (4.18)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

Perfect
25%
One of the Best
13%
Excellent
13%
Very Good
13%
Pretty Good
13%
Decent
No votes
Average at Best
13%
Not So Good
No votes
Pretty Bad
13%
Just Awful
No votes
Refuse to Watch
No votes

Total votes: 8

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 4 Episode 18: Shallow Grave, Deep Water (4.18)

#1 Post by KENJI »

Just a title at this point.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 4 Episode 18: Shallow Grave, Deep Water (4.18)

#2 Post by KENJI »

Magnum goes to extreme lengths to uncover the truth about a crime that may have involved his dear deceased friend, Nuzo.

freeside
Ensign

#3 Post by freeside »

Moin,
I think JF was assumed to do the s01e17 episode as a director and he was changed to this episode due covid restrictions.

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#4 Post by Aloha Friday »

Good episode...the talks with Nuzo throughout the episode were somewhat unique. Kind of like what was done in the movie American Werewolf in London.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Laohu »

Was that the first time Jay has directed ? If so very well done he acted in almost all the sciences and also produced . Katsumoto stepped up his acting game in this episode as well . I really like that they are pulling things out of first season and bringing them back up again . Really good episode give the writers a pat on the back .

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Laohu wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:43 am Was that the first time Jay has directed ? If so very well done he acted in almost all the sciences and also produced . Katsumoto stepped up his acting game in this episode as well . I really like that they are pulling things out of first season and bringing them back up again . Really good episode give the writers a pat on the back .
I think this is the best episode of the series to date. Jay directed? Color me impressed, he has cut out the nonsense and the people now seem believable.
The military funeral was well done and unlike his appearances in uniform before, he isn't sporting a disrespectful 4 day beard.
Perhaps before the producers made him grow that ridiculous affectation aimed at teen girls but it wasn't going to fly in
that scene, so good choice director Hernandez.
Laohu noted Katsumoto's superior acting and I agree, especially as in the early years he was often stiff, one note.
I would add that I think every one of the actors seem to have upped their game here, perhaps to help support Jay's initial outing as the Boss?
I like that they are continuing to showcase local bands in the end scene in Rick and TC's bar, it lends flavor and warmth.

Please don't stone me as a heretic, Classic Magnum fans, but if this episode is emblematic of this series future then you will want to tune in
in coming seasons.
Once I divorced myself from the notion of tying this series in any way to the original, and realizing it is FORTY YEARS later after all, then
I can except it as Friday night fare. I say this as someone who loathed it from the get go, and will always believe Jay was miscast.
But that's not Jay's fault, and now I find him quite likable.
Lenkov being exiled started turning this show around, especially the inane mass firefights.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by 308GUY »

LND: Couldn't have said it better.

Agree on all points covered. :shock: :magnum: :geek:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#8 Post by Aloha Friday »

I agree with Dobie on the facial hair while in uniform thing and happy that was fixed this time around. As a veteran, it bugged me in season one, episode one that the primary characters were unshaven. I know today the standards are not what they were, but it was something I took notice of.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Aloha Friday wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:17 pm I agree with Dobie on the facial hair while in uniform thing and happy that was fixed this time around. As a veteran, it bugged me in season one, episode one that the primary characters were unshaven.
I know today the standards are not what they were, but it was something I took notice of.
Hi Aloha Friday,
Your reaction is like my friend Dave's, one time long time 82nd member. He lives in Fayetteville and went to see his old Colonel, Larry Redmond, at a gathering at Fort Bragg celebrating his
"A Dusty Boot Soldier Remembers" memoir, when it was published. Dave's inner NCO seethed when he saw sloppy or overweight personnel with unsoldierly demeanor and bearing.
Redmond was even more ticked but they both kept their mouths shut, it wasn't their place to say anything to the CO concerned and anyway they didn't want to be part of the
"you know it was far rougher in my day" cliche, even though it was true.

The 4 day beard hasn't been in style since Don Johnson in the 80's though producer Lenkov made the new Magnum and McGarrett have them. I suppose
we should be grateful he didn't make Jay wear one of those Samurai top knots that even now people wear.
I could see "308 Guy" wearing one though.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by 308GUY »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:25 am
I could see "308 Guy" wearing one though.
Nope....doesn't really work for me..... :lol:

(just like the picture posting feature....vary rarely can get it to work for me either! :shock: )

https://images.app.goo.gl/9VnWoMWTb3fW9CoL7
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"