Season 4 Episode 7: A New Lease on Death (4.7)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate Thie Episode?

Perfect
20%
One of the Best
No votes
Excellent
No votes
Very Good
40%
Pretty Good
No votes
Decent
20%
Average at Best
20%
Not So Good
No votes
Pretty Bad
No votes
Just Awful
No votes
Refuse to Watch
No votes

Total votes: 5

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 4 Episode 7: A New Lease on Death (4.7)

#1 Post by KENJI »

When Rick is asked to assist with a federal investigation of Robbie, Magnum launches his own investigation. Higgins is hired to investigate the disappearance of a retirement community resident's life savings.
Last edited by KENJI on Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 4 Episode 7: A New Lease on Death (4.7)

#2 Post by KENJI »

I could see this ending coming a mile away.......instead of a Ferrari blowing up it was a Porsche and the writers also swapped out Thomas for Rick and Luau Louie's for La Mariana. They even had Rick fly back from the explosion and look back at the burning car......kinda like in the original when Thomas (Tom Selleck) did the same thing.....face cut up/burnt too. :roll:

Magnumfan-reboot
Ensign

#3 Post by Magnumfan-reboot »

There was an error in stock market/options terminology.

At 39 minutes Higgins explains that the stocks Ron invested in did plummet but that Ron was short the stock and 'made a ton'. But she adds that 'Ron sold aggressive puts'. That means Ron would have lost a lot of money when the stock price dropped.

Otherwise, an entertaining episode.

Mahalo

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by 308GUY »

Since Lenkov left it seems to be getting better. I noticed that Hernandez is now listed as a "producer"...this could mean a few different things...but sort of "noteworthy" either way.

I do think the writers are doing better....still miss the background "narrative" from TM....and all the characters seem to be growing into their parts a little better....except....poor Jay.....I can accept all of them for who they are supposed to represent in the "new" series, (Higgins is a HUGE stretch...but sort of "works"), except for Mr. H.....no matter how hard I try to imagine him being TM.....he just isn't. If the original series had never been, it probably would be different for me...but I do try to appreciate the show for what it is...and I do still like seeing the landscape and the Hawaiian "culture" at least as it's presented in serial television.

Thought this latest contribution was one of the better efforts thus far...and the fact that it was sort of a "continuation" of a previously presented story line was also a plus (for me).

Having the car explosion took me immediately back to DYSTSR and the Ferrari blowing up with Mac at the wheel. An Easter egg? Don't know....but I will keep watching....you know...like a train wreck..to see what happens! :lol:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Kenji and 308 Guy,
As you both noted, the similarity between the car explosion here and Mac dying at Luau Louies just has to be a wink to Classic Magnum fans.
I hope there are more to come, they could really milk the Higgin's illegitimate siblings angle. Could you not see a "Sharona" - from Monk - type
showing up, all swiveling hips, tight dress, big hair and chewing gum, chasing and pitching woo to the dour Lt. Katsumoto(Tim Kang)?
Perdita Weeks seems like she would be up to playing the part, though it would have to be stressed to her it would call for a Jersey
Girl from New Jersey and not the Ilse of Jersey.