No votes
Refuse to Watch
22%

Total votes: 9

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 4 Episode 1: Island Vibes (4.1)

#1 Post by KENJI »

As Magnum tries to keep his new relationship a secret and handles cases solo, he is tasked with finding a single mom being hunted by two very dangerous gangs. A misstep abroad forces Higgins to assist an old employer.
Last edited by KENJI on Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 4 Episode 1: Island Vibes (4.1)

#2 Post by KENJI »

Here is the trailer for this episode.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1aY3n3cZc

Great to see the Byodo-In Temple being used!

LZeitgeist
Vice Admiral

#3 Post by LZeitgeist »

18 minutes away!

LZeitgeist
Vice Admiral

#4 Post by LZeitgeist »

Whoa! An excellent start to the new season!

Vxc961
Lieutenant

#5 Post by Vxc961 »

I liked it! I need to watch again when I’m not as distracted, but it had great scenery and a fun plot!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by KENJI »

It will be interesting to see what MI6 wants Higgins to do in Hawaii.....maybe it's to keep an eye on Ethan....time will tell.
I think the brother of the guy TM shot might be looking for some revenge.....maybe by killing TM's new love interest who works with Gordon or???
The new Robin Masters novel White Knight: Silver Belle might be loosely based on Higgins and Magnum....Chapter 9 has them kissing etc..
I had to roll my eyes :roll: when Magnum picks up the wallet at the crime scene with a napkin and then proceeds to touch it with his other hand.
The temple looked great at night with all those lights!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

KENJI wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:39 am It will be interesting to see what MI6 wants Higgins to do in Hawaii.....maybe it's to keep an eye on Ethan....time will tell.
I think the brother of the guy TM shot might be looking for some revenge.....maybe by killing TM's new love interest who works with Gordon or???
The new Robin Masters novel White Knight: Silver Belle might be loosely based on Higgins and Magnum....Chapter 9 has them kissing etc..
I had to roll my eyes :roll: when Magnum picks up the wallet at the crime scene with a napkin and then proceeds to touch it with his other hand.
The temple looked great at night with all those lights!

Higgins is not going to accept at face value a disembodied voice over the phone - who she never heard of before - claiming to be a MI6 honcho.
She wouldn't even admit to being an ex-agent, unless she was called to the British embassy in Nairobi(I believe she said she was in Kenya?) to
meet the Intelligence people there, or received orders from someone she knew, regardless of them threatening her over getting the
drugs back.
I bet a free dinner at Luau Louies that Higgys doctor beau is a bad guy, as he is such a goody two shoes he is too nice to be true. Plus as
written he is boring as hell, probably to make his future unmasking all the more shocking when he is revealed to be a terrorist or an agent
of the Russian FSB/SVR. I can see it now, Higgins will kill him just as he is about to take out Magnum.
I wish they would stick to regular PI cases, instead of the over the top terrorists/Junior James Bond stuff. That's what did in the great
Burke's Law, they changed it into a Junior James Bond show and it lost all sense of reality.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:23 am
I wish they would stick to regular PI cases, instead of the over the top terrorists/Junior James Bond stuff. That's what did in the great
Burke's Law, they changed it into a Junior James Bond show and it lost all sense of reality.
They can't do that these days, Dobe. Lots of foreign "intrigue" and twists and double-twists and triple-twists and lots of 'splosions is what sells these days. Never mind that it doesn't make a lick of sense or that a simple PI wouldn't be involved in stuff like this. They might as well call this show MAGNUM, FBI.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:17 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:23 am
They can't do that these days, Dobe. Lots of foreign "intrigue" and twists and double-twists and triple-twists and lots of 'splosions is what sells these days. Never mind that it doesn't make a lick of sense or that a simple PI wouldn't be involved in stuff like this. They might as well call this show MAGNUM, FBI.
Hi Ivan,
You have a point. It's far easier for the script writers to put "Make big boom booms here for 6 minutes" rather than write good dialogue or compose a interesting scene.
The mass firefights and explosions are just far too casual for my tastes. My boy Mannix would just hit bad guys, not slaughter them.
I said it before, but I don't think these people have ever experienced violence on any level in their lives, only thru the 20,000 hours each spent on computer games fighting Nazi Space battalions
from Pluto. That's the frame of reference for them, so why not " 'splosions and "triple twists" when dealing with a modern day PI.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Banacek - "Let's hear it for a Living Legend":

"The only difference between a man and a computer is that a man doesn't count"...Stefanie Power

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by KENJI »

Hi Dobie,

You had me laughing with this comment........

"It's far easier for the script writers to put "Make big boom booms here for 6 minutes" rather than write good dialogue or compose a interesting scene."

Good one! :lol:

Having said that I do enjoy some of Higgin's comments that are usually directed at TM.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

KENJI wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:41 pm Hi Dobie,
You had me laughing with this comment........

"It's far easier for the script writers to put "Make big boom booms here for 6 minutes" rather than write good dialogue or compose a interesting scene."

Good one! :lol:
Having said that I do enjoy some of Higgin's comments that are usually directed at TM.
Hi Kenji,
Thank you. And Juliette Higgins does get off some good lines, there has been improvement since Lenkov aka Sauron was banished to the Leper Colony on Moloka'i.
Just an aside, but I was a little snarky before about computer games. I like Civilization myself. But it's apparent many people can be overly influenced
by computer games, desensitizing them to the real world horrors of violence and viewing such as arrested adolescents do.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by KENJI »

Hi ya Dobie,

Sorry for the delay in responding!
You had me laughing AGAIN with your Lenkov/Leper Colony comment! :lol:
I agree with your other comment.....I like Civilization too!
The only game that I'm influenced by is The Dungeon Master, but it keeps crashing my Dracos lll computer! :wink: :roll:
Joking aside.....you're right....way too many gamers out there that are desensitized to the real world horrors etc......actually it's kind of scary when you think about it.

Gearhard
Lieutenant Commander

#13 Post by Gearhard »

Ivan said:
>Lots of foreign "intrigue" and twists and double-twists and triple-twists and lots of 'splosions is what sells these days.

To be fair, didn't original Magnum have an attack on the British Brigadier at Robin's nest? And a story of Magnum rescuing some woman from.....Sardinia?
I'm sure there were other foreign intrigue episodes in the original Magnum; the two-parter of rescuing POWs (but with Jonathan Higgins driving up in the military truck with a cigar clenched in his teeth made this one a classic). The whole Vietnam back story with original Magnum's wife, the vengeful brother coming back in "Limbo".... I think original Magnum had some episodes of foreign intrigue.

I'm not knocking these story lines, but I enjoy original Magnum for what it is, and I also enjoy reboot Magnum for what it is.

Your mileage on the Ferrari may vary (with city driving),

Glenn

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Gearhard wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:31 pm Ivan said:
>Lots of foreign "intrigue" and twists and double-twists and triple-twists and lots of 'splosions is what sells these days.

To be fair, didn't original Magnum have an attack on the British Brigadier at Robin's nest? And a story of Magnum rescuing some woman from.....Sardinia?
I'm sure there were other foreign intrigue episodes in the original Magnum; the two-parter of rescuing POWs (but with Jonathan Higgins driving up in the military truck with a cigar clenched in his teeth made this one a classic). The whole Vietnam back story with original Magnum's wife, the vengeful brother coming back in "Limbo".... I think original Magnum had some episodes of foreign intrigue.

I'm not knocking these story lines, but I enjoy original Magnum for what it is, and I also enjoy reboot Magnum for what it is.

Your mileage on the Ferrari may vary (with city driving),

Glenn
True, but I think the foreign intrigue was done much better and more believable on the old show. Plus it was pretty rare. Most episodes dealt with very ordinary (often times humorous) cases, which gave the show its special charm. Despite being labeled an "action show" and grouped (and even marketed on the DVD releases) with the likes of KNIGHT RIDER and THE A-TEAM, I just never saw it in the same light as those 2 shows. Those 2 (I love both) are definitely action shows. MPI not so much. Despite having the Ferrari how often did you actually see that car being involved in any kind of action? It was mostly just fancy wheels for TM to cruise around the island in. I don't remember it crashing through gates or fences or other obstacles or flying off ramps like KITT or the GMC van. Gunfire was very limited too. Totally different animal to most "action" shows of the 80s.