I’m starting to like it

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: I’m starting to like it

#16 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I'm a sucker for these throwback elements - Cyndi Lauper, Carl Weathers, etc. Seeing him pop up in The Mandalorian was such a blast. There's a lot of great television on these days with fantastic writing. Even some that link to the 80s very directly (Stranger Things). I wouldn't include the reboot among those. It's all bubblegum and beautiful scenery. But if you take it for what it is, there's room for a little fun. ;-)
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:15 pm I'm a sucker for these throwback elements - Cyndi Lauper, Carl Weathers, etc. Seeing him pop up in The Mandalorian was such a blast. There's a lot of great television on these days with fantastic writing. Even some that link to the 80s very directly (Stranger Things). I wouldn't include the reboot among those. It's all bubblegum and beautiful scenery. But if you take it for what it is, there's room for a little fun. ;-)
I mean I love seeing Carl Weathers too but it shouldn't be the only thing I remember about an episode. Speaking of Carl, I'm currently watching his early 90s TV series STREET JUSTICE (available on YouTube). I remember watching this show as a kid when it was first run (and loving it!) but hadn't seen it since then. It was a syndicated show filmed in Vancouver, like a lot of other shows were around that time, and it's from the Stephen J. Cannell stable of action shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlsD6GoAmew

Styles Bitchley

#18 Post by Styles Bitchley »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:18 pm
Styles Bitchley wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:15 pm I'm a sucker for these throwback elements - Cyndi Lauper, Carl Weathers, etc. Seeing him pop up in The Mandalorian was such a blast. There's a lot of great television on these days with fantastic writing. Even some that link to the 80s very directly (Stranger Things). I wouldn't include the reboot among those. It's all bubblegum and beautiful scenery. But if you take it for what it is, there's room for a little fun. ;-)
I mean I love seeing Carl Weathers too but it shouldn't be the only thing I remember about an episode. Speaking of Carl, I'm currently watching his early 90s TV series STREET JUSTICE (available on YouTube). I remember watching this show as a kid when it was first run (and loving it!) but hadn't seen it since then. It was a syndicated show filmed in Vancouver, like a lot of other shows were around that time, and it's from the Stephen J. Cannell stable of action shows.

Wow! never heard of it. The intro is like an ironic spoof of a bad ass show from back in the day. Like Kung Fury! I've got to watch some episodes!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:43 pm

Wow! never heard of it. The intro is like an ironic spoof of a bad ass show from back in the day. Like Kung Fury! I've got to watch some episodes!
It was a good show for its time. Like COBRA with Michael Dudikoff. Same producers, writers, directors, crew, shot in Canada but supposedly set in some fictional U.S. city. It ran for 2 seasons from 1991 to 1993 and then Carl Weathers left the show to star in the final season of IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT (as the new police chief, replacing Carroll O'Connor who took the job of a sheriff). I say Weathers should have just stayed with STREET JUSTICE. It was more his thing. I read somewhere that the show was inspired by his 1988 action movie ACTION JACKSON. I'm sure many have seen that one. It was his post-ROCKY period and he starred in a string of action pictures like PREDATOR, ACTION JACKSON, HURRICANE SMITH. In some ways STREET JUSTICE was an extension of that, with some martial arts thrown in for his co-star Bryan Genesse.

Speaking of COBRA check out this wicked intro! Can't beat the early 90s. Love the music. Shame it only lasted one season from 1993 to 1994. I tried not to miss an episode. I was a big Dudikoff fan back then. AMERICAN NINJA, AVENGING FORCE - great stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnscR_K0Glw

Oh hey, that's Mr. Strickland from BACK TO THE FUTURE as the Cobra team head honcho! :D

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#20 Post by ConchRepublican »

As a comic book fan, especially Iron Man back in the day, I always saw Carl Weathers as the perfect Rhodey. I love Don Cheadle as an actor, but IMHO he's not a fit based on the characters from the comics.

CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Styles Bitchley

#21 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Getting further into the season bit by bit. Still good for a laugh. As far as characters go, I’m liking Magnum, Rick and Juliet. But TC is lacking something. They don’t seem to know how to make him interesting. Even Tanaka is pretty good.

- J.Q.H.

LZeitgeist
Vice Admiral

#22 Post by LZeitgeist »

Mid season 2 it really hits its stride and takes off.

I like both series, each based on their own merits. Looking forward to season 4 and more!

drukdamsel001
Ensign

#23 Post by drukdamsel001 »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:48 pm
To The Regiment wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:30 pm
Styles Bitchley wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:50 pm All jokes aside, is there a general understanding that trolling this section of the forum is acceptable behaviour? I'm not sure it accomplishes anything other than discouraging people from participating...
I'm curious about the level of participation on this site from "newer" fans of the Magnum reboot. I spend far too much time scrolling through Instagram (don't we all?) and follow several Magnum hashtags and fan accounts on there. It seems there is a huge divide between fans who actively post Magnum-related content on social media. Diehard fans of the original Magnum, PI seem to skew more male and middle age. Not surprisingly, many of them post a lot of gun content and several are military veterans. @jackcarrusa and @thevintage1911 are just two examples (Give them a look). On the other hand, most of the content I see posted related to the Magnum reboot comes from younger females. A good deal of that content is devoted to the "love story" between Juliet Higgins and Magnum, or "Miggy" as they're now called by these fans. For example: @magnumandhiggypi2018 , @you2higgybaby and @magxhiggy, and on and on. So I wonder, how many of these new, active fans of the reboot are participating on Magnum Mania?

Best,
To The Regiment
I'm sure the female fans are fawning over Jay Hernandez. I bet it's the same women (mostly middle aged) that were obsessed with Alex O'Loughlin on the fake Five-0. Some of them were downright rabid - they got jealous of any woman who his character dated on the show. Seriously! Like they couldn't separate reality from make-believe. As if they had a realistic chance of being with him in real life. Totally weird. Probably those same women are now fawning over MiniMag. For them it was never about the show or the stories. It was just obsessing over the lead actor. I think that's what separates the fans of these shallow reboots from those of the original show.

Seriously... if you ask me about episodes of the MPI reboot all I can say is there was the one with Carl Weathers, there was one with Ben Vereen, there was the one with Cindi Lauper. Aside from that I don't remember anything else about those episodes. Compare this to the original show. You'll never hear me say "oh that's the one with Robert Loggia" or "the one with the Ferrers and the Lockharts" or "the one with Erin Gray" or "the one with Ted Danson". Why? Because the guest stars were just one aspect of the episodes. There was much more there than that. Each episode was its own identifiable entity with a distinct flavor and feel and story. When I think of "Skin Deep" I don't think "oh yeah the one with Ian McShane". First and foremost I think of Erin Wolfe and her apparently blowing her head off, then the great reveal that she's alive on an island - shades of the film noir classic LAURA. Also Magnum's Vietnam flashbacks. McShane is just another part of this fascinating tale. You don't get this with the reboot. It all feels generic, PC, all gloss and no character, each one indistinguishable from the next. All you remember is Carl Weathers popped up. That's not the sign of a good show

hello.Miggy stan here.I first came to this show and the first thing i set my eyes upon is people body shaming jay for his height.So i left.Now i am back again and then this?Jay and Alex are good looking guys, do you expect women to not fawn over them?Clearly you havent been to the deep side of the internet to realise 90% of all good looking men will most likely have obsessive women fans.[I mean if alex's fans were obsessive to you then you obviously haven't met chris evans stans :roll: ]What is wrong with stanning miggy?You say that its not really about the stories or the show...Arent higgins and magnum a part of the show?Arent the writers following up on a possible romance in the finale of the third season?I do agree that its wierd to be obssesed with alex though but give the ladies a break.I just feel that you are too hung up on the old version of magnum pi.Give it a shot and you just might love it

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#24 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:48 pm
To The Regiment wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:30 pm
Styles Bitchley wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:50 pm All jokes aside, is there a general understanding that trolling this section of the forum is acceptable behaviour? I'm not sure it accomplishes anything other than discouraging people from participating...
I'm curious about the level of participation on this site from "newer" fans of the Magnum reboot. I spend far too much time scrolling through Instagram (don't we all?) and follow several Magnum hashtags and fan accounts on there. It seems there is a huge divide between fans who actively post Magnum-related content on social media. Diehard fans of the original Magnum, PI seem to skew more male and middle age. Not surprisingly, many of them post a lot of gun content and several are military veterans. @jackcarrusa and @thevintage1911 are just two examples (Give them a look). On the other hand, most of the content I see posted related to the Magnum reboot comes from younger females. A good deal of that content is devoted to the "love story" between Juliet Higgins and Magnum, or "Miggy" as they're now called by these fans. For example: @magnumandhiggypi2018 , @you2higgybaby and @magxhiggy, and on and on. So I wonder, how many of these new, active fans of the reboot are participating on Magnum Mania?

Best,
To The Regiment
I'm sure the female fans are fawning over Jay Hernandez. I bet it's the same women (mostly middle aged) that were obsessed with Alex O'Loughlin on the fake Five-0. Some of them were downright rabid - they got jealous of any woman who his character dated on the show. Seriously! Like they couldn't separate reality from make-believe. As if they had a realistic chance of being with him in real life. Totally weird. Probably those same women are now fawning over MiniMag. For them it was never about the show or the stories. It was just obsessing over the lead actor. I think that's what separates the fans of these shallow reboots from those of the original show.
One thing that should be kept in mind is that you are comparing the remaining fans of the original show with fans of the new series still in production. These are very different things and I think it’s a poor comparison, or at the very least apples to oranges. I watched the original series from its debut, mostly because my mother watched the show and we had just one TV in the house in 1980. This wasn’t that uncommon then. I remember my mom and my aunt and one of the neighbor women talking more than once about the “hunky” Tom Selleck. I also remember that he was all over the magazines at the grocery check out and my aunt bought some kind of unauthorized biography paperback about TS and they passed it around. The point is, there was a similar group of middle-aged women swooning over Selleck back then, as the group you dismiss doing the same about Jay Hernandez today. Women were a BIG part of the demographic of original viewers of both shows.

It’s also worth noting, no matter how hard it is for us fans of the original to hear, far more people watch the new series than stick with reruns of the original like many of us. Most of the fans who watched MPI from 1980-88 no longer watch it anymore, male or female. I would also estimate, based on the ratio of men to women on this forum, that not nearly as many of those original women viewers who tuned in to see Selleck are still around watching. That’s why I said comparing the much smaller number of remaining fans of the original to the current series watchers is apples to oranges. We’ll have to wait twenty or more years to see if a fan forum develops for the current series and see how it compares to ours. That would be a meaningful comparison… and I think we all have an opinion on that comparison! :magnum:

damrod
Ensign

#25 Post by damrod »

No stache, not Magnum

Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Not WASP, not Magnum.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#27 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:34 pm Not WASP, not Magnum.
I don’t think Magnum’s faith is ever discussed though his wife Michelle was Catholic not Protestant, and almost certainly Lily as well then. If he converted for her he would be a WASC. :D I don’t think that’s a thing though! :lol:

Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:39 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:34 pm Not WASP, not Magnum.
I don’t think Magnum’s faith is ever discussed though his wife Michelle was Catholic not Protestant, and almost certainly Lily as well then. If he converted for her he would be a WASC. :D I don’t think that’s a thing though! :lol:
WASC works too! :)

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#29 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I still can't bring myself to watch the new one.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#30 Post by ConchRepublican »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:18 pm I still can't bring myself to watch the new one.
:magnum: :magnum:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04