Season 3 Episode 8: Someone to Watch Over Me (3.8)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

Perfect
14%
One of the Best
No votes
Excellent
No votes
Very Good
29%
Pretty Good
No votes
Decent
No votes
Average at Best
14%
Not So Good
14%
Pretty Bad
14%
Just Awful
No votes
Refuse to Watch
14%

Total votes: 7

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 3 Episode 8: Someone to Watch Over Me (3.8)

#1 Post by KENJI »

When a young man in need of emergency surgery goes missing with a bullet lodged in his chest, Ethan asks Magnum and Higgins to find him before it's too late. TC talks to a military recruit who may be enlisting for the wrong reasons.
Last edited by KENJI on Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Someone to Watch Over Me (3.8)

#2 Post by KENJI »

Promo for this episode.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewFe4D1rI6M

Gearhard
Lieutenant Commander

#3 Post by Gearhard »

Dr. Ethan continues to cement his position as a very likeable character - which is going to make his eventual downfall even more spectacular.

Magnum continues to have sleep issues (presumably) from the white SUV stalker. Hmmm, wonder how that will work itself out (Glenn's theory: Dr Ethan = White SUV). He is a plant to get close to the White Knight for some bad reason. In the season cliff hanger, Magnum and Ethan will have the drop on each other when Higgans enters. The final scene will have her pulling the trigger on one of them, but the scene will fade to black.

Rick and Suzie? Yeah, that won't add any more sexual tension with her working as a bartender at the restaurant. With all these supporting characters (Kumo, Shami, Gordi, now Suzi, how will the writers work them all in?).

I haven't seen the "lads" Zeus and Apollo recently. Is this a Covid concern with dogs on set?

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Steve »

I'm back!!! Couldn't get on the forum for a while (I think it is because I actually enjoy the reboot) :wink: ...I enjoyed this episode, and want to say that Stephen Hill has truly come into his own as T.C...He was the last actor cast and in my opinion, become one of the best of the reboot crew.....

Amian
Admiral

#5 Post by Amian »

Steve wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:34 am I'm back!!! Couldn't get on the forum for a while (I think it is because I actually enjoy the reboot) :wink: ...I enjoyed this episode, and want to say that Stephen Hill has truly come into his own as T.C...He was the last actor cast and in my opinion, become one of the best of the reboot crew.....
Agree, his T.C. is very good and has improved as the show has developed. I think Rick's improved, too. They have good chemistry with each other, as well.

Overall, for me, this episode was overwrought. It would have been more interesting to see more of T.C.'s storyline with the kid and the recruiter. The main plot with the bullet wound and the dad's crime could have been good, but it wasn't done so well in my opinion. At one point, I seem to recall that the father was opening up to Magnum and Higgins about his son, and the next camera cut shows the father standing at his mantle holding a picture of his boy as he tells the story... it felt forced and not natural. And the end of the episode made sure you knew how to feel with all its swelling music.

Now that I'm thinking about it, that is probably my main complaint this season. The episodes have little ambiguity or even room for interpretation. More subtlety would go a long way, especially since the characters themselves are getting better and growing into their roles. In other words, the writing is meh this season.

Kee
Lieutenant

#6 Post by Kee »

Gearhard wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:54 pm Dr. Ethan continues to cement his position as a very likeable character - which is going to make his eventual downfall even more spectacular.
That's a very good point and I am sure we will be seeing some chinks in his armor in upcoming episodes.
Gearhard wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:54 pm I haven't seen the "lads" Zeus and Apollo recently. Is this a Covid concern with dogs on set?
I bet that's it. I hope they can return soon.