Peter Lenkov fired

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

Peter Lenkov fired

#1 Post by Laohu »

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mag ... 39939.html

Looks like Peter Lenkov has been Fired by CBS . Hope the show ends up in good hands .

sandbiscuits
Captain

Re: Peter Lenkov fired

#2 Post by sandbiscuits »

Interesting! I wonder how different the show will be. Lenkov had a heavy hand in the overall feel and writing, from what I've gathered.

Ps - Lenkov seems like a jerk.

Lindsay Writer
Commander

#3 Post by Lindsay Writer »

This article has a lot more detail he was an arrogant jerk and he ruined what we love about Magnum.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... bs-1302107

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by T.Q. »

That's unfortunate.

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#5 Post by ConchRepublican »

"Toxic work environment"

I will admit, I chuckled. No heir to Bellisario was he (obviously).

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/peter- ... 234700376/
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by terryfromkerry »

Good to see this type of self cleansing within the industry in Hollywood continue unabated.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Laohu »

CBS has fired “Hawaii Five-0,” “MacGyver” and “Magnum P.I.” showrunner Peter Lenkov following an investigation into multiple claims he created a toxic work environment. Lenkov was dismissed despite having a year left on a rich overall deal with CBS TV Studios.

A CBS TV Studios spokesperson said in a statement to The Live Feed saying: “Lenkov is no longer the executive producer overseeing MacGyver and Magnum P.I., and the studio has ended its relationship with him.”

Lenkov added a statement of his own to the trade saying: “Now is the time to listen and I am listening. It’s difficult to hear that the working environment I ran was not the working environment my colleagues deserved, and for that, I am deeply sorry. I accept responsibility for what I am hearing and am committed to doing the work that is required to do better and be better.”

Monica Macer will step in as showrunner on “MacGyver” and Eric Guggenheim will take over “Magnum P.I.” with both currently executive producers on their respective series.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by T.Q. »

I think this situation is serious enough it warrants looking into series cancellation.

The toxic environment Lenkov created over the years could still create a triggering effect for some just even returning to the set.

I stand with the victims.

Perhaps it's time to cancel the show for the sake of those who where emotionally abused.

Or continue using the Hawai'i production team but start a new series that can be a safe space for all.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Lindsay Writer
Commander

#9 Post by Lindsay Writer »

No if it's canceled it won't be due to what Lenkov did to his staff it will be due to what he did to a great show and Eric Guggenheim won't make the show any better. It's not really Magnum it's a bad knockoff and I think it's unwatchable. I usually watch the first 3 to 5 minutes and then change the channel then go back to it at 8:47 for 5 minutes to see the final action scene and even that little is hard to watch. CBS will probably renew it so it runs for 5 to 7 years maybe 10 years if the ratings are good enough it will continue but it won't ever be good. And when Bellisario left the show in 1984 it became terrible there were only a few episodes by other writers that were any good.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#10 Post by Pahonu »

Lindsay Writer wrote:No if it's canceled it won't be due to what Lenkov did to his staff it will be due to what he did to a great show and Eric Guggenheim won't make the show any better. It's not really Magnum it's a bad knockoff and I think it's unwatchable. I usually watch the first 3 to 5 minutes and then change the channel then go back to it at 8:47 for 5 minutes to see the final action scene and even that little is hard to watch. CBS will probably renew it so it runs for 5 to 7 years maybe 10 years if the ratings are good enough it will continue but it won't ever be good. And when Bellisario left the show in 1984 it became terrible there were only a few episodes by other writers that were any good.
I don’t believe Bellisario ever left the show. He executive produced all episodes and wrote several, but there are several dozen writers who contributed episodes over the seasons, including 10 in the first season alone. Bellisario was most directly involved in the first season as the show got going. His major writing contributions were also in the first season and the two-part episodes in seasons 2 and 3, but many quality episodes came after that. While I don’t disagree that seasons 5 and 6 were of lesser quality, I don’t see how it was from Bellisario leaving. Season 7 has some particularly good episodes like Death and Taxes, Laura, Limbo, and Paper War, all written by others.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

ConchRepublican wrote:"Toxic work environment"

I will admit, I chuckled. No heir to Bellisario was he (obviously).

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/peter- ... 234700376/
Actually, Bellasario was forced out of NCIS because Mark Harmon sided with Lauren Holly over some sort of complaint. I don't think it was a sexual harassment situation, but a more general "difficult working conditions." When DBP was running JAG and then NCIS, he was a stickler for details and did a lot of last minute re-writes and re-shoots. The entire cast of JAG have talked about the long work days they put in and Scott Bakula says the long days on QL led to his divorce. Bellasario was probably more relaxed about Magnum because it was a different kind of show and the internet didn't exist to nitpick it to death over flubs and inconsistencies, but working in network TV is not for the faint of heart.

LZeitgeist
Vice Admiral

#12 Post by LZeitgeist »

T.Q. wrote:I think this situation is serious enough it warrants looking into series cancellation.

The toxic environment Lenkov created over the years could still create a triggering effect for some just even returning to the set.

Perhaps it's time to cancel the show for the sake of those who where emotionally abused.

Or continue using the Hawai'i production team but start a new series that can be a safe space for all.
You're so full of shit I can smell it way over here.

You have hated the reboot from day one. You're using this as an excuse to pursue your own personal interests. That's incredibly disgusting.

You are a disgusting, small individual, given a response like yours.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by T.Q. »

LZeitgeist wrote:
T.Q. wrote:I think this situation is serious enough it warrants looking into series cancellation.

You have hated the reboot from day one. You're using this as an excuse to pursue your own personal interests. That's incredibly disgusting.

WOW. :shock:

Now that was toxic.

LZeitgeist
Vice Admiral

#14 Post by LZeitgeist »

T.Q. wrote:
LZeitgeist wrote:

WOW. :shock:

Now that was toxic.
You actually disgust me. Your response deserves it.

Lindsay Writer
Commander

#15 Post by Lindsay Writer »

The reboot is terrible. Some shows were so good in their original version they should never be updated. And many movies should never be remade. Magnum is one of those shows that can never be as good as it was but now networks and studios are so risk-averse they are afraid to make new shows and movies and the executives value job security over all else. So giving a green light to a remake or a reboot is automatic job security. If the new version flops they can't be blamed for its failure. They just point to the old version and tell their bosses we made a safe bet we had a valuable piece of IP and it was safer to update it than it would have been to do something risky like an original show or movie. And that's how they keep their cushy jobs. That's what it's all about. They will always minimize the risk to their careers whenever they can. This is why you see so many remakes and reboots now. Lenkov did a good job on Hawaii Five-O and MacGyver but he completely missed the mark on Magnum because it was impossible to update Magnum and make it as good as it was. As Bellisario once wrote "memories are forever" and so are re-runs. We will always have the old episodes to enjoy and we can ignore these new episodes.