Season 2 Episode 16: Farewell to Love (2.16)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
14%
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
29%
8.5 (Very Good)
No votes
8.0 (Pretty Good)
29%
7.5 (Decent)
No votes
7.0 (Average at Best)
14%
6.5 (Not So Good)
No votes
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
14%
0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
No votes

Total votes: 7

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 2 Episode 16: Farewell to Love (2.16)

#1 Post by KENJI »

While Magnum and Higgins are undercover as a couple on a romantic bus tour working a case, they must switch gears when one of the love birds on the trip is murdered and evidence is quickly deteriorating in the Hawaiian heat.

Here is the trailer for this episode......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7hDh4HZfKg
Last edited by KENJI on Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 2 Episode 16: Farewell to Love (2.16)

#2 Post by Laohu »

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Steve »

Pretty good episode, I liked the Stephen Hill story line. He and the writers are capturing the spirit of the original T.C character of honesty and having a great heart. Good job Mr. Hill......

rgholmes
Lieutenant Commander

#4 Post by rgholmes »

Is it just me, or does the waterfall in this episode look like the waterfall in "The Treasure of Kalaniopu'u"?

Gary
"Because it's HOW you make the transitions that's as important as making them."
-T.S. Magnum IV, "Transitions"

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by KENJI »

rgholmes wrote:Is it just me, or does the waterfall in this episode look like the waterfall in "The Treasure of Kalaniopu'u"?

Gary
Hi Gary,

No it's not just you......it's the same one.......Waimea Falls.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by KENJI »

Steve wrote:Pretty good episode, I liked the Stephen Hill story line. He and the writers are capturing the spirit of the original T.C character of honesty and having a great heart. Good job Mr. Hill......
Hi Steve,

I agree with you on the capturing the spirit of the original TC comment.
I liked some of the helicopter footage in that episode too.

LZeitgeist
Vice Admiral

#7 Post by LZeitgeist »

Just finished it - great dual plotlines. Really enjoyed it.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Laohu »

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

KENJI wrote:
Steve wrote:Pretty good episode, I liked the Stephen Hill story line. He and the writers are capturing the spirit of the original T.C character of honesty and having a great heart. Good job Mr. Hill......
Hi Steve,

I agree with you on the capturing the spirit of the original TC comment.
I liked some of the helicopter footage in that episode too.
Hi Guys,
Decent plot, nice photography, no insipid dialogue(1st time!) and for the first time in the reboot Stephen Hill as TC comes alive.
They probably redirected resources previously put into Hawaii 5-0 as Jay and company will be here next year and Hawaii 5-0 won't.
There is definitely an upswing in quality across the board.
Up to this and the previous episode, I would have rather cut my tongue out than say this series had a future as "good enuff" entertainment but they are on the right track.
The writers are finally fully splitting the starring time 50/50 between Jay and Perdita so Jay's limited acting range isn't so noticeable.
I no longer reflexively gag at the thought of Jay "replacing" The Great Selleck as the producers are no longer trying to do that.
More a Higgins & Magnum series, akin to Simon & Simon, one partner the suave educated intellectual and the other the regular guy, down to earth "muscle".
I'd like to know just one thing, which muggins in wardrobe is dressing Perdita? She looks like she is wearing PM Boris Johnson's tatty old jogging outfit.
Her hair as usual was cut by putting a salad bowl on her head and letting Stevie Wonder have at it.

sandbiscuits
Captain

#10 Post by sandbiscuits »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:Hi Guys,
Decent plot, nice photography, no insipid dialogue(1st time!) and for the first time in the reboot Stephen Hill as TC comes alive.
They probably redirected resources previously put into Hawaii 5-0 as Jay and company will be here next year and Hawaii 5-0 won't.
There is definitely an upswing in quality across the board.
Up to this and the previous episode, I would have rather cut my tongue out than say this series had a future as "good enuff" entertainment but they are on the right track.
The writers are finally fully splitting the starring time 50/50 between Jay and Perdita so Jay's limited acting range isn't so noticeable.
The quality does seem to be picking up, and I agree that TC really shone. The actress playing T was one of the better guest actors, too. I was sort of hoping she might stick around, but the episode played out nicely in the end.

I thought we were going to have a locked room mystery at the falls, which I would have liked, but that didn't last. It was a fun setting and the guests in that plotline were solid. And yes, the chemistry between Jay and Perdita has noticeably improved from the first season (whether it's writing or simply their time together at this point, I don't know, but it's welcome).
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:I no longer reflexively gag at the thought of Jay "replacing" The Great Selleck as the producers are no longer trying to do that.
More a Higgins & Magnum series, akin to Simon & Simon, one partner the suave educated intellectual and the other the regular guy, down to earth "muscle".
I'd like to know just one thing, which muggins in wardrobe is dressing Perdita? She looks like she is wearing PM Boris Johnson's tatty old jogging outfit.
Her hair as usual was cut by putting a salad bowl on her head and letting Stevie Wonder have at it.
I've wondered about the wardrobe, too. I'm not an expert, but somehow it seems like she's often wearing high heels and really tight pants (sometimes with big flares at the bottom) that wouldn't make it easy to do all the action stuff.

Morganwerk
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#11 Post by Morganwerk »

It was great to hear the Casablanca quote!