Change of heart - Magnum Reboot is better than no Magnum!

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

sandbiscuits
Captain

Re: Change of heart - Magnum Reboot is better than no Magnum

#31 Post by sandbiscuits »

KingKamehameha wrote:Well my fellow Magnum fans, after revisiting season one I have had a change of heart about the Magnum reboot. I had my own ideas about how it should have been done - as a tie in to the original show where Magnum's daughter Lilly would have taken up the family business after her own stint in the Navy. She could have been a graduate of the Naval Academy, etc. I would have loved for the producers to have bought the old Eve Anderson estate, a.k.a. Robbins Nest. But I guess trying to come up with another story line idea for a helicopter pilot and a club manager wingman to replace T.C. and Rick would have been difficult. It would have been ridiculous for them to be the children of the original T.C. and Rick. Not to mention how do you come up with another Higgins? Although it would have been funny for a new Higgins to have been the child of one of Jonathan's four illegitimate half-brothers.

Anyway, I still don't think that the Magnum reboot is great, and I'm still skeptical about casting Jay Hernandez as Magnum (too old, short), but I'm enjoying the scenery, plots, and cameos. So maybe the reboot is better than no new Magnum at all!
KingKamehameha, nothing wrong with a change of heart.

I think it would be fun to have Roger Moseley come back more often as a recurring character. If I recall correctly he was the barber in one episode in season 1, and I remember thinking he did a good job. Plus the meta aspect of old and new MPI joining forces was nice to see.

Turkey
Admiral

Re: Change of heart - Magnum Reboot is better than no Magnum!

#32 Post by Turkey »

I've finally got access to the reboot and... I didn't loathe it, but I don't know if I'll keep watching.

Only seen two episodes so far, however.

There's plenty that I don't like/stuff that doesn't really seem to work (especially the loss of the Magnum/Higgins father-son surrogate aspect) but it's still nice to see the setting and some action too. Ultimately, it just feels 'off' but I'm curious to check out any cameos featuring folks from the original series.
Make it two weeks.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Laohu »

Stick with it , I think you will be glad you did Sure there are some bumps in the road but over all season one is very enjoyable.

Turkey
Admiral

#34 Post by Turkey »

Laohu wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:01 pm Stick with it , I think you will be glad you did Sure there are some bumps in the road but over all season one is very enjoyable.
Cool, I'll watch a few more and see how I go :)

Any fav episodes I should keep an eye out for?
Make it two weeks.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Laohu »

I would recommend Six Paintings, One Frame and The Cat Who Cried Wolf from the first part of the season . From the second part of the season I would go with Ties That Bind and Blood In The Water .

Turkey
Admiral

#36 Post by Turkey »

Laohu wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:00 pm I would recommend Six Paintings, One Frame and The Cat Who Cried Wolf from the first part of the season . From the second part of the season I would go with Ties That Bind and Blood In The Water .
Excellent, thank you! If I start to struggle with the show I'll jump to those, great, thanks again :)
Make it two weeks.