Season 2 Episode 1: Payback is for beginners

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

Season 2 Episode 1: Payback is for beginners

#1 Post by Laohu »

After an exciting first season, CBS's reboot Magnum P.I. has set its return for this fall and released images from the premiere episode.

The episode titled "Payback is for Beginners," which airs Friday, September 27, will find Magnum (Jay Hernandez) waiting to find out if Higgins (Perdita Weeks) will be his official partner or not. In the meantime, he'll be getting back to work on a new case involving a missing wife who witnessed her boss's murder in the middle of a bank robbery.

As for Rick (Zachary Knighton), he'll have to make a big choice when it comes to his career during the second season premiere. Click through the gallery above for a sneak peek at the episode and don't miss Magnum P.I. when it returns this fall on CBS.

Magnum P.I., Season 2 Premiere, Friday, September 27, 9/8c, CBS
Last edited by Laohu on Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 2 Episode 1: Payback

#2 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Laohu wrote:Just a title for now
TV Guide October 7, 2019:
The Magnum PI reboot starts season two with a bang when outraged Classic Magnum fans storm the set for a little 'Payback'.
They force stars Jay Hernandez, Zachary Knighton, Stephen Hill and The Lads to take acting classes, then make a pagan
sacrifice of producer Peter Lenkov to the Hawaiian fertility god Lono. Perdita Weeks is proclaimed their Queen as the series
is renamed Higgins PI. Guest starring Wo Fat as leader of the Magnum Mania insurrectionists, Terry from Kerry as Higgin's
half brother Father Paddy.

-----------------------
"Money won't change you but Time WILL take you on."....James Brown

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by terryfromkerry »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
The Magnum PI reboot starts season two with a bang when outraged Classic Magnum fans storm the set for a little 'Payback'.
They force stars Jay Hernandez, Zachary Knighton, Stephen Hill and The Lads to take acting classes, then make a pagan
sacrifice of producer Peter Lenkov to the Hawaiian fertility god Lono. Perdita Weeks is proclaimed their Queen as the series
is renamed Higgins PI. Guest starring Wo Fat as leader of the Magnum Mania insurrectionists, Terry from Kerry as Higgin's

-----------------------
This is outrageous ! ............ and hilarious ! :lol:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Ha!

This must be the first anti reboot comment which I found truly funny.
Plus that pic

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Bondtoys.de wrote:Ha!
This must be the first anti reboot comment which I found truly funny.
Plus that pic
"This is outrageous ! ............ and hilarious ! :lol: ...Terry from Kerry"

Thank you Terry, Bondtoys.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by T.Q. »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:

-----------------------
:lol:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Laohu »

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 2 Episode 1: Payback is for beginners

#8 Post by Laohu »

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Laohu »

Promo for the season opener
https://youtu.be/eZwt9Hh2vSk

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by 308GUY »

Like it...hate....or anything in between....am glad they are keeping a record of it happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PijcGjRjqTM

Still waiting for the insurance co. to find an exact replacement for the "iconic" 308GTS!

I think the upcoming season WILL be better than the first, (at least I have hopes), but it's still just a gut reaction when Jay says, "I'm Thomas Magnum"...to say in my head...."No you're not." Not sure that will ever go away.

If it lasts the 8 seasons that the original did, and has anywhere near the following it does, in 20 or 30 years somebody seeing a rerun OF the original, will say the same thing when TS says it! :lol:

After all, everything IS a matter of perspective....at one level. :geek:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Laohu »

Cast: Jay Hernandez (Thomas Magnum), Perdita Weeks (Juliet Higgins), Zachary Knighton (Orville “Rick” Wright), Stephen Hill (Theodore “TC” Calvin), Tim Kang (Det. Gordon Katsumoto), Amy Hill (Kumu).

Recurring cast: Brooke Lyons (Abby Miller).

Guest cast: Michael Patrick Thornton (Charlie Owens), Sonya Balmores (Leanna Owens), Alex Solowitz (Dex Hollis), Matt Gerald (Trey Hollis), Jacqueline Lord (Range Manager), Ron Encarnacion (Front Desk Clerk), Kelemete Misipeka (Owner).

Written by Peter M. Lenkov & Eric Guggenheim. Directed by Bryan Spicer.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

You'd think in a beau coup expensive production they could have sprung for an iron and ironing board. The cop especially looks disheveled.
Not even Scrung-o looked so cruddy when he was in his prison cell. Perdita's line in this scene is "Next to you lot the Bowery Boys look
like Beau Brummel."

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Linen suits look like that - particularly when worn for some minutes

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by KENJI »

Now that's a wine cellar!!!!!!!! It puts the original wine cellar to shame -WOW! :shock:
You come down the stairs to a landing with a few comfy chairs and some wine followed by at least three gated rooms FULL of wine.....my guess is the deeper you go into the cellar and the more gates you walk through, the more expensive the wine gets. They did a nice job on that set.....the gates, stonework, lighting -well done. The first two sets of gates might have R and M on them......I caught a quick glimpse of what looks to be a M on the right side of each set, so I'm guessing the left ones have R.....too dark down there to confirm.

Higgins wearing a trench/rain coat in Hawaii to go to London in was stupid......no need for it, plus it was sunny in that scene.

The Higgins/Magnum relationship is starting to blossom....even the lawyer lady can see it in Juliette's eyes.

Magnum popping a wheelie on the motorbike at high speed and then letting the bike land into the get away van while landing on his feet is taking it too far again....keep more real and not so over the top.

I would like to see a few episodes with Higgins doing MI6 work and Magnum coming to her aid.....it looks as though she is going to moonlight with Magnum though. Speaking of Moonlighting.....Magnum and Higgins back and forth remind me a bit of Willis and Shepherd in Moonlighting. Does anyone else see it or is it just me?
Last edited by KENJI on Sat May 23, 2020 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

German Free TV have started airing Season 2 last Wednesday.
We have 2 episodes every Wednesday here.

I haven‘t watched Season one here in german but what stroke me is that Magnum and Higgins are now on „informal terms“ in german.

In german language, you can address a person in two ways:

1. Formally - which you are usually using for strangers and higher ranking people and clients in business.
You properly address them with „Mr./Mrs XX“, but when it‘s getting more relaxed, you use the first name, but still in the formal language

2. Informally, where we are using the eqivilent of „you“ and use the first name only.

The original dubbing, Magnum and Higgins where on formal terms, but left away the „Mr“
Season 2 of the reboot, Magnum and friends are on informal terms, are calling each other only on first names and „you“ which is very strange in my eyes because parts of the magic (Original and Reboot) lays in a kind of formal distance between Magnum and Higgins.

I don‘t really like that they have been crossing that line with the german dubbing