For all the haters of the new show

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

NitroNick50
Lieutenant Junior Grade

For all the haters of the new show

#1 Post by NitroNick50 »

FFS, if you don't like the show, stop watching. I, for one, enjoy the new show. That said, I was a HUGE fan of the original, watched it every Thurs. night when I could. Magnum, Simon&Simon and Hill Street Blues. It was my only real television night, except for Monday Night Football, of course.

The thing is, I never expected an exact copy of the original and while I had some doubts, I gave it a chance and I enjoy it.

Just for the haters, I hope it lasts for 6 or 7 seasons.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

Re: For all the haters of the new show

#2 Post by Laohu »

Congratulations you’re a true Magnum maniac ! You like both shows. Lenkov has been very successful keeping his shows on the air I am hoping for atlest 9 seasons .

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Hey, one round of Coors on me for my friends and tab water for the haters :lol:

And here hoping for at least 9 as well! :luther:

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by KingKC »

It is not that I hate the new MPI. It is just when I put the old and the new side by side for comparison it is no contest for me. I doubt years of the new MPI will change my mind.

The new show is clearly cut in the new mold of TV. Fast action, fast scenes and fast talk with (so far) very little character and plot development. Just look at the opening theme and credits. It is half of the old one. Look at the monologues/narrations by the new TM. They are brief, to say the least and those were what helped develop the plots of the original. So far Rick and TC only engage in errands of mercy and saving TM. Higgins has a magic computer that pulls up the exact site and information in a heartbeat. At least Rick was given time in the original to get info from his contacts. I could go on and on but I realize that the original had flaws too. Higgins and his double roles got on my nerves pretty quick. Some of the light-hearted shows were just downright silly. Carol Burnett as a guest star was nowhere near my favorite. Even the Luther Gillis character made me roll my eyes more than once. The original Katsumoto/John Wayne impersonator was horrible.

Geez people....live and let live.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by T.Q. »

NitroNick50 wrote:FFS, if you don't like the show, stop watching. I, for one, enjoy the new show. That said, I was a HUGE fan of the original, watched it every Thurs. night when I could. Magnum, Simon&Simon and Hill Street Blues. It was my only real television night, except for Monday Night Football, of course.

The thing is, I never expected an exact copy of the original and while I had some doubts, I gave it a chance and I enjoy it.

Love how it's morphed to "you're not a true Magnum, P.I. fan if you don't like the reboot".

*SIGH*
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#6 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote:
NitroNick50 wrote:FFS, if you don't like the show, stop watching. I, for one, enjoy the new show. That said, I was a HUGE fan of the original, watched it every Thurs. night when I could. Magnum, Simon&Simon and Hill Street Blues. It was my only real television night, except for Monday Night Football, of course.

Love how it's morphed to "you're not a true Magnum, P.I. fan if you don't like the reboot".

*SIGH*
I don't see that at all. I think the "haters" referred to in the post are the few that kept trashing the new show repeatedly. I lost interest in the reboot pretty quickly and said as much, but that's not what the post was directed at. There seem to be a few members who really like the new show and a few who absolutely hate even the idea of the reboot. This has been the major source of the friction, I think, not the many who's views fall somewhere in between. It's just not as simple as you love it or you hate it, as is true in much of life really.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Chris109 »

For sh*ts and giggles, let's turn this around.

If you do don't like the 'hate' that spews about the new show, don't read the comments.

LZeitgeist
Vice Admiral

#8 Post by LZeitgeist »

I'm with you, except for the football and HSB.

I'm looking forward to Season 2 and beyond.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by T.Q. »

Pahonu wrote:
T.Q. wrote:

*SIGH*
I don't see that at all.
”Congratulations you’re a true Magnum maniac ! You like both shows.”
Last edited by T.Q. on Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

NitroNick50
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#10 Post by NitroNick50 »

KingKC wrote:It is not that I hate the new MPI. It is just when I put the old and the new side by side for comparison it is no contest for me. I doubt years of the new MPI will change my mind.

The new show is clearly cut in the new mold of TV. Fast action, fast scenes and fast talk with (so far) very little character and plot development. Just look at the opening theme and credits. It is half of the old one. Look at the monologues/narrations by the new TM. They are brief, to say the least and those were what helped develop the plots of the original. So far Rick and TC only engage in errands of mercy and saving TM. Higgins has a magic computer that pulls up the exact site and information in a heartbeat. At least Rick was given time in the original to get info from his contacts. I could go on and on but I realize that the original had flaws too. Higgins and his double roles got on my nerves pretty quick. Some of the light-hearted shows were just downright silly. Carol Burnett as a guest star was nowhere near my favorite. Even the Luther Gillis character made me roll my eyes more than once. The original Katsumoto/John Wayne impersonator was horrible.

See, you can't put the new show up against the original for comparison, the original was clearly superior, plus, it had 8 years to work out the flaws. The new show, to me. anyway, is fun. Compared to most of the crap dramas, sit-coms and oh puke, so called "reality" shows, the new Magnum is enjoyable. Plus, I record it and blast through the seemingly endless commercials.

NitroNick50
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#11 Post by NitroNick50 »

T.Q. wrote:

*SIGH*

I didn't say that.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by KingKC »

NitroNick50 wrote:
KingKC wrote:It is not that I hate the new MPI. It is just when I put the old and the new side by side for comparison it is no contest for me. I doubt years of the new MPI will change my mind.

See, you can't put the new show up against the original for comparison, the original was clearly superior, plus, it had 8 years to work out the flaws. The new show, to me. anyway, is fun. Compared to most of the crap dramas, sit-coms and oh puke, so called "reality" shows, the new Magnum is enjoyable. Plus, I record it and blast through the seemingly endless commercials.
Honestly I think the first season of the original was much better than the first season of the reboot. Far more varied plots and far better development of characters and relationships. I think the reboot will last for at least a couple more seasons and I will follow it unless it gets really bad (such as TM and Higgins hooking up).

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by K Hale »

NitroNick50 wrote:

If they didn’t want the two compared, they shouldn’t have reused all the character names and settings. Can’t have that reboot cake and eat the original too.

Show can run 1 season or 100 seasons for all I care. Won’t change what I think.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by T.Q. »

K Hale wrote:
If they didn’t want the two compared, they shouldn’t have reused all the character names and settings. Can’t have that reboot cake and eat the original too.

Show can run 1 season or 100 seasons for all I care. Won’t change what I think.
I’m with ya.

It’s like they’re rubbing it in our faces even though it has no barring whatsoever to my life if this crappy show continues.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Laohu »

I was referencing a comment I made elsewhere on this board . The Gist of it was what to call fans of each era of the show . I suggested
Original show = old Guard
New show = new Guard
Both shows = Magnum Manic

There is nothing derogatory in any of the titles . None say or even imply that you are not a fan of the show .

T.Q please go back and read some off your old post .