Moderator: Styles Bitchley

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

Re: For Bondtoys.de

#31 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi guys,
Found a 2019 interview where the question is asked :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9e6aLEvH0k
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by KENJI »

terryfromkerry wrote:Hi guys,

Nice find there Terry!

Selleck is always a class act and proved it here taking the high road.
If he gave the reboot his blessing maybe we can be a bit more accepting too.
I still feel we can critique the show, but maybe a bit more Selleck/Magnum like. :magnum:
Even the original had some stinkers episodes/scenes.
I'm sure some of us will agree to disagree and that's okay too so long as we keep it friendly. :)
I thought that was a nice gesture by CBS to give Selleck the final say on if the reboot would be made or not.
Basically Selleck made it happen, now that puts things in a bit different light.
Enjoyed the story about Selleck not wanting to cut in on Travolta dancing with Princess Diana....again, a gentleman and a class act!

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Chris109 »

KENJI wrote:

Nice find there Terry!

I still feel we can critique the show, but maybe a bit more Selleck/Magnum like. :magnum:
I'm sure some of us will agree to disagree and that's okay too so long as we keep it friendly. :)
I thought that was a nice gesture by CBS to give Selleck the final say on if the reboot would be made or not.
Basically Selleck made it happen, now that puts things in a bit different light.
Enjoyed the story about Selleck not wanting to cut in on Travolta dancing with Princess Diana....again, a gentleman and a class act!
Anyone hear his line, "getting offended is a choice"? Now where have we heard that before?

Amian
Admiral

#34 Post by Amian »

KENJI wrote:

Nice find there Terry!

Yes, nice find. And well said, Kenji.

At first I thought it was a joke that the interviewer's name is Franck Ragaine and he's interviewing a guy who plays Frank Reagan.

Also, Selleck's reason for not wanting to do a cameo or anything else with the reboot was that he didn't want to take away from his involvement with Blue Bloods. So... if the reboot outlasts the rest of Blue Blood's run, maybe we can get that ending with TS on the typewriter!

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by No need to know! »

Actually i couldn´t care less was Selleck says about the show. Surely he has nothing to do with it? Or have i missed something there? I hope he hasn´t because it pretty much sucks.

He is just nice guy. I would like to see him being more honest and brutal. "I hate this shit. I am Magnum, and Robin Masters would take a dump on these scrips.
Onion´s extra?

Rands
Rear Admiral

#36 Post by Rands »

What a wonderful display by two gracious gentlemen. Conch offering a true, hearth felt apology, and Bondtoys for his acceptance. What more can one say?

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:Your boss's feedback rules just means he had no interest in honest opinions.
Well said. How can I be honest about anything if first I MUST say something positive, even if perhaps there is nothing positive to be said? Honest feedback is someone saying exactly what's on their mind, be it all negative, all positive, or a combination of both.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#38 Post by ConchRepublican »

Chris109 wrote:
Amian wrote:

I appreciate your writing out your thoughts to begin this thread. I can see how special Magnum is to you, and I won't ever try to convince you or anyone else that you should like the reboot. My gripe was the constant negativity, which I didn't think created a welcoming environment on these threads. The reboot is an odd duck on this site: It's part of the extended Magnum universe, even though no one asked for it. But we can all take solace that it's not a replacement. The Magnum that brought us all to this site will always be there. And this is just my opinion, but I don't even think it needs to be defended in the face of a reboot. Its greatness speaks for itself.

This is an imperfect analogy, I know, but Axl Rose can sing his heart out about knockin' on Heaven's door, but I won't hear it -- I've got Dylan's version hardwired in my head. At the same time, I can make room for both Jimi's and Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower."
Just out of curiosity, does that mean we can not ever be negative about the reboot? Should we just put tape over our mouths (keyboards) instead of voicing our opinions just to keep a couple of people happy? Some comments are poking fun. We need a little non-political humor in this world.
A bit less logic, if you please.

Absolutely, positively not.

In this forum people are free to share their feelings as it relates to Magnum as they wish as long as they do not attack other forum members. Spirited debate, pro and con is fine, the line is when it becomes personal.

Feel free to poke a way.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Laohu »

ConchRepublican wrote:So, I have been thinking about my dustup with Markus (Bondtoys.de) a few weeks ago, and yes, it has stayed with me. I don’t like having a fallout with someone who should be an ally over semantics, or misunderstandings.

But it’s not semantics, at least for me, and maybe that’s the crux.

Thomas Sullivan Magnum IV is not just “anyone” to me. His character is someone who, as fictional characters do, is a beacon and helps us become better than ourselves during times when we think we have no where to go but down. I am defensive of that character, during that slice of time, because during my worst time he helped me be the best me. I know, that sounds extremely melodramatic but, as long time forum members know, the quote “I love you, more than you’ll ever know, and I’m letting you go” has a profound meaning for me.

Yes, I am angry at the idea of a reboot, perhaps unreasonably so. But not because of unreasonable reasons, if that makes sense, but because I feel protective of the character, his legacy and what he represents. That character, that man, who inspired me to be better, stronger, than I had any right to be can’t just be “replaced” or “rebooted”. Some things just work, and should be left that way.

So, while I will never apologize for my defense of, and protection of, either myself, my character or the legacy of the character who has been important to me as a person, I do apologize to Markus for reacting so quickly, and assuming the worst. Yes, even though that was quite “Magnum-like” that’s not the legacy I like to carry forward.

Reading the current state of the reboot board is that the legacy you would like to carry forward ?
Do you think that puts Magnum in the best light ? Do you think Magnum is still helping you be the best you ?

ConchRepublican

#40 Post by ConchRepublican »

Laohu wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:So, I have been thinking about my dustup with Markus (Bondtoys.de) a few weeks ago, and yes, it has stayed with me. I don’t like having a fallout with someone who should be an ally over semantics, or misunderstandings.

But it’s not semantics, at least for me, and maybe that’s the crux.

Thomas Sullivan Magnum IV is not just “anyone” to me. His character is someone who, as fictional characters do, is a beacon and helps us become better than ourselves during times when we think we have no where to go but down. I am defensive of that character, during that slice of time, because during my worst time he helped me be the best me. I know, that sounds extremely melodramatic but, as long time forum members know, the quote “I love you, more than you’ll ever know, and I’m letting you go” has a profound meaning for me.

Yes, I am angry at the idea of a reboot, perhaps unreasonably so. But not because of unreasonable reasons, if that makes sense, but because I feel protective of the character, his legacy and what he represents. That character, that man, who inspired me to be better, stronger, than I had any right to be can’t just be “replaced” or “rebooted”. Some things just work, and should be left that way.

So, while I will never apologize for my defense of, and protection of, either myself, my character or the legacy of the character who has been important to me as a person, I do apologize to Markus for reacting so quickly, and assuming the worst. Yes, even though that was quite “Magnum-like” that’s not the legacy I like to carry forward.

Reading the current state of the reboot board is that the legacy you would like to carry forward ?
Do you think that puts Magnum in the best light ? Do you think Magnum is still helping you be the best you ?
There have been no personal attacks just differences of opinions.

I'm perfectly fine with it.
CoziTV Superfan spot

ConchRepublican

#41 Post by ConchRepublican »

KENJI wrote:

Nice find there Terry!

I think Selleck is in a real difficult spot there . . . what is he supposed to say, no? Then he looks iike a petty person. I also feel like he has smoothed out and perfected his response over time. I seem to remember earlier when it first came up, that he was a little more . . . maybe guarded is the right term . . . in his response. He sounded more matter of fact that he didn't own it and what can he do?
CoziTV Superfan spot

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Laohu »

Sounds more like you want to rewrite history to fit what you would like it to be . TS is one of the biggest stars at the network . CBS wants TS to be happy he might not own the show but the network thinks enough of him and his feelings that they ask him . Would he have looked petty if he said not to do it ? Maybe but it would have been done behind closed doors Lenkov has way to much to lose to talk out of school to much . Tom Selleck knows he will not play Magnum again , Jay will play him for awhile then sometime in the future someone else will take on the role .
Who knows the next guy might be better then both of them .

ConchRepublican

#43 Post by ConchRepublican »

Laohu wrote:Sounds more like you want to rewrite history to fit what you would like it to be . TS is one of the biggest stars at the network . CBS wants TS to be happy he might not own the show but the network thinks enough of him and his feelings that they ask him . Would he have looked petty if he said not to do it ? Maybe but it would have been done behind closed doors Lenkov has way to much to lose to talk out of school to much . Tom Selleck knows he will not play Magnum again , Jay will play him for awhile then sometime in the future someone else will take on the role .
Who knows the next guy might be better then both of them .
https://www.tvinsider.com/696360/tom-se ... eboot-cbs/

Don’t expect a fun guest spot either. “I told them that I won’t do some cameo guest spot to let the audience know I approve.” He’s aware that could disappoint some fans of his and the shows. “I’m sure they’d like it, but I have an obligation to my version. And Peter’s going to do his take on what a Magnum under some similar circumstances should be about.”
CoziTV Superfan spot

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Laohu »

I really don’t expect a guest spot from TS and to tell you the truth unless it was at the end of the series and we got all the surviving members of both cast for the send off then I don’t think it is worth it . I really don’t think there is this big grudge about them rebooting his show if so Larry would not be coming on next season and Roger would not have already done a guest spot . These guys are pros they have all been at it a long time they understand the bussiness aspect of it . I think they have made peace with it and are enjoying the rebirth of something they were apart of I can understand wanting to create this artificial drama and friction but these guys are actors they are well paid for there talents and they understand that is the way the TV bussiness goes .
Whenever Magnum get’s rebooted for 3rd time interviewers will be coming to Jay to ask him about it and I am sure he will have a polished answer for them as well . Both Actors know that Magnum was a big break for them and are respectful of that .

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Oops, the most important parts in the cited TV Insider interview have been "missed out" - by accident:

>>They told him if he “had a problem” with the remake, their relationship was important enough that they wouldn’t do it. "Peter was very effusive about the project; he grew up with Magnum and this was his dream,” he adds.<<

>> „In the end, I thought, ‘We couldn’t have a better bow tied around our show<<

>> „Why choose to be offended? This is Peter’s dream, let him run with it. He’s a nice man.”<<

So, it seems that Selleck is very relaxed about the reboot and he also confirms that Lenkow is a long-time fan.

And we can also put the following to rest, the TV Insider interview is almost 1 year old:
ConchRepublican wrote: I also feel like he has smoothed out and perfected his response over time. I seem to remember earlier when it first came up, that he was a little more . . . maybe guarded is the right term . . . in his response. He sounded more matter of fact that he didn't own it and what can he do?
He was very nice about the reboot 1 year ago.
And he totally owned it, because CBS gave him the right of refusal. What could he own more about it!