For Bondtoys.de

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

Re: For Bondtoys.de

#16 Post by Chris109 »

ConchRepublican wrote: I've never seen any of the Kardashian or Real Housewife shows either . . .

Amian
Admiral

#17 Post by Amian »

ConchRepublican wrote:
MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:
Yes, I am angry at the idea of a reboot, perhaps unreasonably so. But not because of unreasonable reasons, if that makes sense, but because I feel protective of the character, his legacy and what he represents
I just want to say that I totally agree with this statement and I feel the same way about not just the character, but the entire show. And I don't think it's unreasonable to dislike/hate/be angry about the reboot.
Thanks MLS,

I absolutely, positively, think even the thought of a reboot is an abomination, and still don't understand "Maniacs" that embrace it, but hey, I don't have to. I've never seen any of the Kardashian or Real Housewife shows either . . .
If I ever have to watch a Kardashian or other reality show, I'll know I've entered hell.

I appreciate your writing out your thoughts to begin this thread. I can see how special Magnum is to you, and I won't ever try to convince you or anyone else that you should like the reboot. My gripe was the constant negativity, which I didn't think created a welcoming environment on these threads. The reboot is an odd duck on this site: It's part of the extended Magnum universe, even though no one asked for it. But we can all take solace that it's not a replacement. The Magnum that brought us all to this site will always be there. And this is just my opinion, but I don't even think it needs to be defended in the face of a reboot. Its greatness speaks for itself.

This is an imperfect analogy, I know, but Axl Rose can sing his heart out about knockin' on Heaven's door, but I won't hear it -- I've got Dylan's version hardwired in my head. At the same time, I can make room for both Jimi's and Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower."

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Chris109 »

Amian wrote:

I appreciate your writing out your thoughts to begin this thread. I can see how special Magnum is to you, and I won't ever try to convince you or anyone else that you should like the reboot. My gripe was the constant negativity, which I didn't think created a welcoming environment on these threads. The reboot is an odd duck on this site: It's part of the extended Magnum universe, even though no one asked for it. But we can all take solace that it's not a replacement. The Magnum that brought us all to this site will always be there. And this is just my opinion, but I don't even think it needs to be defended in the face of a reboot. Its greatness speaks for itself.

This is an imperfect analogy, I know, but Axl Rose can sing his heart out about knockin' on Heaven's door, but I won't hear it -- I've got Dylan's version hardwired in my head. At the same time, I can make room for both Jimi's and Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower."
Just out of curiosity, does that mean we can not ever be negative about the reboot? Should we just put tape over our mouths (keyboards) instead of voicing our opinions just to keep a couple of people happy? Some comments are poking fun. We need a little non-political humor in this world.
A bit less logic, if you please.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

a bit less being annoying, too, please

Nobody has a problem with people that don't like the show - for me it's getting over the top when I see the hate in every new episode, even if we only know the title or a quick summary of the episode.

And it's still not clear to me, if the main criticism is about the reboot being too similar or being too far away from the original show - or if people are just annoyed and get annoying.

Many years ago, my employer implemented Feddback rules and main parts of them where:

Feedback must be constructive
You start with points that you liked before you get to points that you didn't like and the number of likes must be more.

I know, that there is now someone who will tell me, that there is not a single positive element in the reboot and that these feedback rules are part of that awful pc-ness. Well, that was 35 years ago.
Last edited by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) on Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Your boss's feedback rules just means he had no interest in honest opinions.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Chris109 »

Bondtoys.de wrote:a bit less being annoying, too, please

Nobody has a problem with people that don't like the show - for me it's getting over the top when I see the hate in every new episode, even if we only know the title or a quick summary of the episode.

And it's still not clear to me, if the main criticism is about the reboot being too similar or being too far away from the original show - or if people are just annoyed and get annoying.

Many years, my employer implemented Feddback rules and main parts of them where:

Feedback must be constructive
You start with points that you liked before you get to points that you didn't like and the number of likes must be more.

I know, that there is now someone who will tell me, that there is not a single positive element in the reboot and that these feedback rules are part of that awful pc-ness. Well, that was 35 years ago.
My employer has made it clear to run all comments by him first by placing them in the suggestion box.
But since I am self employed, those suggestions are piling up and go unheeded. 8)

Dobie FWIW--the 'cool' emoji is '8)' and that is why your 8th theme song came up 'cool'.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

These replies - and particularly by these particular people don‘t surprise me at all.

Fortunately, my previous employers all chose this kind of company culture.
The goal is to make people and things better, instead of the destructive or ignorant approach by command and order.

You should try that positive approach one day, it makes work and life easier and more enjoyable.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Chris109 »

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

These replies - and particularly by these particular people don‘t surprise me at all.

Fortunately, my previous employers all chose this kind of company culture.
The goal is to make people and things better, instead of the destructive or ignorant approach by command and order.

You should try that positive approach one day, it makes work and life easier and more enjoyable.
You should try to stop attacking the posters here. Some of us have snarked on the reboot and will continue to do so. You have insulted the members here and apparently will continue to do so even after Conch addressed you privately and publicly. Off the top of my head, I can think of at least 4 regular posters here who like the reboot and I can think of 4 or 5 who admit they hate it. I'd say that's pretty evenly split. You are the one who is only seeing negativity and your constant insults of posters are the most negative things here. The fact is rebooting a show that is beloved by the members of this site is going to evoke strong opinions and some of them will be negative.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

I am done discussing with you.

If I have insulted anyone anywhere, hit the report button and we'll see.
And if anyone feels that I have insulted him/her, just contact me via pm.

The disagreement between Conch and me has been settled and I have not insulted him. I'll not open that again for you

Amian
Admiral

#26 Post by Amian »

Chris109 wrote:
Amian wrote:I appreciate your writing out your thoughts to begin this thread. I can see how special Magnum is to you, and I won't ever try to convince you or anyone else that you should like the reboot. My gripe was the constant negativity, which I didn't think created a welcoming environment on these threads. The reboot is an odd duck on this site: It's part of the extended Magnum universe, even though no one asked for it. But we can all take solace that it's not a replacement. The Magnum that brought us all to this site will always be there. And this is just my opinion, but I don't even think it needs to be defended in the face of a reboot. Its greatness speaks for itself.

Just out of curiosity, does that mean we can not ever be negative about the reboot? Should we just put tape over our mouths (keyboards) instead of voicing our opinions just to keep a couple of people happy? Some comments are poking fun. We need a little non-political humor in this world.
No, no, you can be negative if you want to be. It's how you feel, right? I am critical about parts of the reboot, too. The thing that stuck out to me was the steady stream of cynicism and negativity, including by people who don't watch the reboot or, in many cases when no one had seen the episode because it hadn't even aired.

If someone feels negative about the reboot as a concept, which Conch Republican has articulated, I get it. I guess it's harder for me to understand the energy and effort put into trashing it on a thread-by-thread basis (or hounding Peter Lenkov on Twitter). Each person is different, but I guess I'd just ignore the reboot if I were so inherently opposed to it. It's more enjoyable to be on fan sites where the mood is supportive and positive.

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by No need to know! »

Seems you take the criticism of the reboot so personal. If you can´t take that people dislike somthing you like maybe you shouldn´t be on forum at all?
I really dislike the reboot. I don´t hate it. But it is very bleak to say the least.
Onion´s extra?

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Laohu »

Magnum mania would be much poorer without Bondtoys . He has been a Gentleman and if you look back at what his request was it was very resonable

Tom Selleck has givin his blessing to the new show he has carried himself with grace and dignity in all the interviews I have seen him give about the new. show .

Might be something to be learned there

Amian
Admiral

#29 Post by Amian »

Laohu wrote:Magnum mania would be much poorer without Bondtoys . He has been a Gentleman and if you look back at what his request was it was very resonable

Tom Selleck has givin his blessing to the new show he has carried himself with grace and dignity in all the interviews I have seen him give about the new. show .

Might be something to be learned there
Out of curiosity, have you seen many interviews with Selleck about the reboot? I remember one or two many months ago (before the show premiered, I think), but he basically didn't say anything other than to wish the reboot the best. Has he said anything of note since the show started?

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Laohu »

One interview that he talked at length about the new show and several interviews that he was asked a question that he made a statement .