Roger on reboot.

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

Roger on reboot.

#1 Post by N1095A »

I just read that Roger will be appearing as "T.C.'s" barber on the reboot. I'm 49 years old, and Roger / T.C. has been a hero of mine since I was 10. I have never felt so let down by a hero in my life. What's next, Larry appearing as the guy who shines Rick's shoes?
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

Re: Roger on reboot.

#2 Post by Chris109 »

N1095A wrote:I just read that Roger will be appearing as "T.C.'s" barber on the reboot. I'm 49 years old, and Roger / T.C. has been a hero of mine since I was 10. I have never felt so let down by a hero in my life. What's next, Larry appearing as the guy who shines Rick's shoes?
A black guy as a barber doing a black guy's hair. Now that isn't stereotypical, is it? Ice Cube and Cedric the Bad Entertainer gonna be in the chairs next to him?

FYI: Ice Cube's name in the Barbershops movies was Calvin.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#3 Post by N1095A »

I really don't know what race has to do with anything. The new T.C. can't hold a candle to Roger's T.C. and for Roger to appear in the new version to me is sacrilege.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

N1095A wrote:I really don't know what race has to do with anything. The new T.C. can't hold a candle to Roger's T.C. and for Roger to appear in the new version to me is sacrilege.
Hi N1095A,
I think in fairness to Dave, in these PC times your post could have been misunderstood in that way, in the subtext.
Maybe Roger had a family member such as his Dad who barbered, and playing one is a sort of salute to that person. John Wayne portrayed a
pharmacist in one of his flicks, it was clearly a nod to his father's chosen profession as you don't normally see one of them as a action hero.
Anyway I agree with you, the new TC is terrible, to call him an actor is a insult to his superiors in the trade such as Morris the Cat or a stage prop
skull from Macbeth. Who did they hire for the casting director, Dr. Smith from Lost in Space?

"You know me. When I burn a bridge even the river disappears"
...Tod Stiles(Martin Milner) Route 66

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by perfectlykevin »

https://tvline.com/2019/02/21/magnum-p- ... est-stars/

I'm looking forward to seeing Mr. Mosley in the role. And as a barber who gives the new incarnation of TC advise, well I think its a good fit.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Steve »

perfectlykevin wrote:https://tvline.com/2019/02/21/magnum-p- ... est-stars/

I'm looking forward to seeing Mr. Mosley in the role. And as a barber who gives the new incarnation of TC advise, well I think its a good fit.
I agree........Give the episode a chance....Roger and Larry guest starred with TS on Las Vegas and we all loved it.....

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by KingKC »

Steve wrote:

I agree........Give the episode a chance....Roger and Larry guest starred with TS on Las Vegas and we all loved it.....
I fully agree also. Let's enjoy some things rather than constantly criticize.

Amian
Admiral

#8 Post by Amian »

Thanks for the heads up, looking forward to this! When I saw the thread headline, my first thought was that Roger had weighed in on the reboot in an interview. But he's actually "on" the reboot. Would be cool if he's a recurring character.

Majordomo
Vice Admiral

#9 Post by Majordomo »

I definitely want to see that episode! Roger E. Mosely's appearance can only make the show better, right?
"Don't hand me that wretched understatement. I was bloody marvelous."

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#10 Post by Pahonu »

Chris109 wrote:
N1095A wrote:I just read that Roger will be appearing as "T.C.'s" barber on the reboot. I'm 49 years old, and Roger / T.C. has been a hero of mine since I was 10. I have never felt so let down by a hero in my life. What's next, Larry appearing as the guy who shines Rick's shoes?
A black guy as a barber doing a black guy's hair. Now that isn't stereotypical, is it? Ice Cube and Cedric the Bad Entertainer gonna be in the chairs next to him?

Not sure if you're aware or not, but cutting extremely curly hair typical in the black community is something most non-black barbers don't do and aren't trained for. My son and daughter, who are adopted, are both African-American. My wife and I are not. This is a topic most of the non-black community are clueless about. I took my son to black barber shops for many years. He's now a high school junior and takes care of it himself. Also, and I kid you not, one time perhaps 5 or 6 years ago, Cedric the Entertainer was at the shop. He was joking around and pretty damn funny. The shop is called Extreme Fades in Long Beach.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

I am glad, that Mr. Mosley has a positive approach to the reboot and I hope that it's not just because he's getting paid to appear.

I mean if he can live with it we all should to a certain degree.
Imo the most touching part in the Starsky & Hutch movie was the appearance of PM Glaser and D Soul and handing over.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Steve »

Pahonu wrote:
Chris109 wrote:

Not sure if you're aware or not, but cutting extremely curly hair typical in the black community is something most non-black barbers don't do and aren't trained for. My son and daughter, who are adopted, are both African-American. My wife and I are not. This is a topic most of the non-black community are clueless about. I took my son to black barber shops for many years. He's now a high school junior and takes care of it himself. Also, and I kid you not, one time perhaps 5 or 6 years ago, Cedric the Entertainer was at the shop. He was joking around and pretty damn funny. The shop is called Extreme Fades in Long Beach.
I'm with you, my wife of 26 years is African American and we have a 21 year old son with hair like Bruno Mars. I have spent many a day in black barbershops that are so much more than a place to get a cut, but are community centers, comedy clubs and just overall pillars of the black community......(Plus did anyone notice Roger is wearing Dashiki, he is the last person to question his commitment)

LZeitgeist
Vice Admiral

#13 Post by LZeitgeist »

KingKC wrote:
Steve wrote:

I fully agree also. Let's enjoy some things rather than constantly criticize.
Agreed.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#14 Post by ConchRepublican »

I was disappointed to hear rumours that Larry was going to be on the new series and play IcePick, but hey, who am I to begrudge a guy a regular paycheck. I don't know the guy's financial position.

But Roger doing a one off as "T.C."'s barber? SMH . . . I guess the same applies, but . . . it just feels ickey.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#15 Post by Pahonu »

Steve wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
Chris109 wrote:

I'm with you, my wife of 26 years is African American and we have a 21 year old son with hair like Bruno Mars. I have spent many a day in black barbershops that are so much more than a place to get a cut, but are community centers, comedy clubs and just overall pillars of the black community......(Plus did anyone notice Roger is wearing Dashiki, he is the last person to question his commitment)

Well said Steve! Also congratulations on 26 years. My wife and I are approaching 22. Time flies!