For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

Re: Roger on reboot.

#16 Post by Chris109 »

Steve wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
I'm with you, my wife of 26 years is African American and we have a 21 year old son with hair like Bruno Mars. I have spent many a day in black barbershops that are so much more than a place to get a cut, but are community centers, comedy clubs and just overall pillars of the black community......(Plus did anyone notice Roger is wearing Dashiki, he is the last person to question his commitment)
Just like in Mayberry.

rgholmes
Lieutenant Commander

#17 Post by rgholmes »

I fully agree also. Let's enjoy some things rather than constantly criticize.
Agreed!

I look forward to seeing Mr. Mosley. I’ve enjoyed following his career since first seeing him in Magnum and then looking back to his work in the 70s. Good to see him work in front of the camera-probably not an easy job at this point with all the demographics of the younger “target audience.”

In interviews he always seems professional and respectful of the fans.

Gary
"Because it's HOW you make the transitions that's as important as making them."
-T.S. Magnum IV, "Transitions"

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Stelth »

A barber? How generous of the producers.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Laohu »

I am glad to see the mix of the old cast and the new . I hope it is a reacurring role .

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by T.Q. »

N1095A wrote:I really don't know what race has to do with anything. The new T.C. can't hold a candle to Roger's T.C. and for Roger to appear in the new version to me is sacrilege.
I'm so sick and tired that a thread like this even became a race discussion.

I read your post. Never even thought for a second about colour.

We have a sickness in today's society. It's sad actually.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Macho Taco
Lieutenant

#21 Post by Macho Taco »

The real issue for me isn’t Roger appearing as a barber. My issue is
that the re-boot has created nothing but one-dimensional characters who serve only to back up TM. New TC and new Rick have done nothing interesting, nor do we even get a glimpse of their lives outside of TMs cases. Has new TC even been shown giving a tour yet? With all that could be done with Roger’s appearance, even as a barber, my hunch is the writers will botch this up big time. In other words, he will have one or two lines and that’s it. Hope I’m wrong...

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#22 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote:
N1095A wrote:I really don't know what race has to do with anything. The new T.C. can't hold a candle to Roger's T.C. and for Roger to appear in the new version to me is sacrilege.

Not sure why you chose that quote, N1095A didn't bring up race. The quote was a response to Chris 109.

I'm also going to add, and this will probably not be popular, but ignoring race is also not a reasonable position in a society that still has significant racial inequalities. Taking the position of not seeing color might be acceptable all other things being equal in society, but they are not. Being a part of a biracial family I see these inequalities all too often.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by T.Q. »

Pahonu wrote:
T.Q. wrote:

Not sure why you chose that quote, N1095A didn't bring up race. The quote was a response to Chris 109.

I'm also going to add, and this will probably not be popular, but ignoring race is also not a reasonable position in a society that still has significant racial inequalities. Taking the position of not seeing color might be acceptable all other things being equal in society, but they are not. Being a part of a biracial family I see these inequalities all too often.
Yes, I’m aware of the “not seeing colour” somehow being construed as being racist in itself argument. Isn’t 2019 wonderful? :roll:

How race relates in any way whatsoever to a post about Roger Mosley making a cameo in a television show though still remains beyond me.

Guess I need to reprogram my brain to think of ‘inequalities’ (real or perceived) everytime I see a black person now.

Gonna become a full time job for me since I live in the Bahamas. Guess I gotta do it though just to prove I’m a woke ‘privileged’ white dude.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#24 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
T.Q. wrote: I'm so sick and tired that a thread like this even became a race discussion.

Yes, I’m aware of the “not seeing colour” somehow being construed as being racist in itself argument. Isn’t 2019 wonderful? :roll:

How race relates in any way whatsoever to a post about Roger Mosley making a cameo in a television show though still remains beyond me.

Guess I need to reprogram my brain to think of ‘inequalities’ (real or perceived) everytime I see a black person now.

Gonna become a full time job for me since I live in the Bahamas. Guess I gotta do it though just to prove I’m a woke ‘privileged’ white dude.
I wasn't arguing that "not seeing color" equates to racism. I was pointing out that ignoring that there are racial inequalities in society by taking the position of "I don't see color" does nothing to improve the situation. The late Elie Weisel in his acceptance speech for the Nobel Peace Prize made a plea to humanity in his case about his experience in the Holocaust. His argument was basic and applies here. There are three positions that can be taken with regards to injustice. One can support and participate in it, condemn and fight against it, or ignore it and remain silent. The problem is that silence always benefits the perpetrator, never the victim.

I'm sorry you may have taken my statement personally.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Laohu »

Macho Taco wrote:The real issue for me isn’t Roger appearing as a barber. My issue is
that the re-boot has created nothing but one-dimensional characters who serve only to back up TM. New TC and new Rick have done nothing interesting, nor do we even get a glimpse of their lives outside of TMs cases. Has new TC even been shown giving a tour yet? With all that could be done with Roger’s appearance, even as a barber, my hunch is the writers will botch this up big time. In other words, he will have one or two lines and that’s it. Hope I’m wrong...

If it makes you feel better about things we have seen T.C. interrupt a tour he was giving to help out Thomas . So yes we have in that respect seen him give a tour . We have also seen him coaching a little league football team all on his own with out Magnum . We have seen him go surfing and hire another veteran all in the first 15 episodes of season 1 .
Rick on the other hand has never worked at all on the show . I would guess that building the set might have something to do with that. Maybe we will get that in season two .

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Macho Taco wrote:The real issue for me isn’t Roger appearing as a barber. My issue is

One-dimensional?
Maybe you want to rewatch season 1 of the original series and see how "deep" TC, Rick and Higgins are drawn.

What we correctly appreciate in terms of deepness of character and the feeling of friendship has imo a lot to do with the fact that we could see all this progressing over 8 years.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Bondtoys.de wrote:

One-dimensional?
Maybe you want to rewatch season 1 of the original series and see how "deep" TC, Rick and Higgins are drawn.

What we correctly appreciate in terms of deepness of character and the feeling of friendship has imo a lot to do with the fact that we could see all this progressing over 8 years.
I agree. The characters on the original show were deeply drawn right from the start, from the pilot episode. Meanwhile the new series is past the midpoint of the season and they're all still just cardboard cutouts.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Yes, I’m aware of the “not seeing colour” somehow being construed as being racist in itself argument. Isn’t 2019 wonderful? :roll:

LOL! :D Don't worry about it, T.Q. You can't win these days. If you don't see color then you're insensitive and thus racist, if you do see color then you're a bigot and thus racist. It's a catch-22! My motto is "to thine own self be true". Be happy who you are and don't worry what others think. If they have a problem with you then it's their problem. I am who I am, and I make no apologies for it. I don't kill, I don't steal, I don't abuse. I have nothing to apologize for or feel bad about.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#29 Post by ConchRepublican »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:
Bondtoys.de wrote:

One-dimensional?

I agree. The characters on the original show were deeply drawn right from the start, from the pilot episode. Meanwhile the new series is past the midpoint of the season and they're all still just cardboard cutouts.
I agree with you Ivan, from the Pilot epsiode, and then China Doll, No Need to Know . . . the list goes on of eary episodes that show the depth the supporting characters have. The show was well outlined and each character seemed like their inrerconnected relationships were real and coming from a place you understood. We didn't need to get to know how these guys relared to each other, it was right there to see and feel - from the writing to the abilities of the actors.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ConchRepublican wrote:[quote
I agree with you Ivan, from the Pilot episode, and then China Doll, No Need to Know . . . the list goes on of early episodes that show the depth the supporting characters have. The show was well outlined and each character seemed like their interconnected relationships were real and coming from a place you understood. We didn't need to get to know how these guys related to each other, it was right there to see and feel - from the writing to the abilities of the actors.
Conch,
Right on, you put it perfectly -
"We didn't need to get to know how these guys related to each other, it was right there to see and feel, from the writing to the abilities of the actors."
Years ago I read all of Hemingway's works, he once said something about if a book or movie is done right, you could start in the middle - without knowing
exactly how the relationships were established - and the characters/actors and writing/screenplay would deliver the story and be enjoyable.
I suppose on tonight's episode - "Murder Is Never Quiet" - we can only hope that they work on what Conch said, but I am guessing that instead they will choose
the lazy way and have more mass gunfights. Magnum PI is evolving into a sort of Mission Impossible, with computer tech, helicopters, 3 Rambo warriors and the
eye candy blonde intelligence agent weekly battling international killers, rogue CIA members etc.