It seems Peter Lenkov can't take the heat

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: It seems Peter Lenkov can't take the heat

#61 Post by Pahonu »

K Hale wrote:I think it's debatable that "the female demographic" was watching the show merely to see Selleck take off his shirt.
He was an enormous sex symbol at the time. He was all over magazines and on talk shows. I use "take his shirt off" to mean see a very attractive guy. This is anecdotal for sure, but I remember my mom, aunt, and a neighbor woman talking about how attractive Selleck was when the show debuted. I think they called him "hot". I was 9 years old and found this weird and maybe even a bit creepy. LOL! As I think about it now, my mom was the first to watch it but eventually shifted over to the juggernaut that was The Cosby Show and it was my dad and I that watched it regularly until it ended.

The article I was referring to definitely described a diminishing female viewership after the first couple of seasons. I believe the producers attributed it to the lack of recurring female characters and made the changes. I'm not certain that was why the female audience was dropping, but that is what the article explained. I might also add that there are far more men on this forum than women, for what its worth. My wife, who was raised by a single working mother, had never even seen the show in her house growing up. She watched The Cosby Show though.

Majordomo
Vice Admiral

#62 Post by Majordomo »

Pahonu wrote:I guess I'm just not as emotional of a person as many here on the forum seem to be. I don't really understand the intense feelings that people are having about the reboot. I'm a big fan of the show and have been a part of this forum for almost a decade. I watched the show from it's beginning and still enjoy it immensely. While I'm not a fan of the reboot, having given it a few episodes before losing interest, I don't see how trying to make another version in any way is an insult to the quality of the original. Nothing can change that. The original is still great... and the reboot isn't. I'm sorry, but people calling it blasphemous or disrespectful, and then writing some pretty harsh personal comments about it's actors and creators, are overreacting just a bit, I think.

I might also add, I recall reading that in the original version, the creators looked to add some female roles to the show because the female demographic watching it just to see Selleck without his shirt was dropping after the first couple of seasons. They specifically developed the Carol Baldwin and Maggie Poole characters for this reason. I believe it was a TV Guide article from the 80's during its run where I read it. Having female characters isn't just about being PC, it brings in viewers, which if we're honest, is the whole point. Networks or cable channels won't keeps making TV shows that no one is watching. It's economics. That's why I wasn't surprised when it was renewed. Some members seemed shocked, but apparently they have high enough ratings to justify another season. I don't think the reboot is particularly good, but enough people seem to, and that's the bottom line.
Pahonu, I agree. I have posted something similar before regarding the reboot. The reboot doesn't hold a candle to the original, but it is still entertaining. Most of us that grew up in the 80's will not be the target market for the reboot and if Lenkov was able to procure a 2nd season, then he must be doing something right. I have only seen the first 5 or 6 episodes of the reboot, but I plan to catch up on them...and it's not to see Hernandez butcher the title character (I wonder if has watched any of the original series yet). I am more intrigued by the other characters that recur and make an appearance on the show.

I've never gotten into Twitter, so I don't know the protocols, but if someone that followed me was following me just to give me a hard time...I would unfollow them in a heartbeat (or kick them or whatever Twitterfolk call it). That's not the the unexpected response. That's the natural response. It doesn't necessarily mean that one person is right (or righteous) and the other is not. It's all just a form of that-there free speech that everybody talks about! Heaven forbid, if Lenkov was forced to keep all of his followers and hear all of their opinions; or conversely, if we were forced to watch the reboot whether we liked it or not. Quite the contrary, we get to turn the channel and he gets to pick his Twitter-friends...win-win!

Overall, I am fairly ambivalent towards the reboot, but I guess it may just be in my nature to be more critical of the nay-sayers that don't give it a chance....even when most of their points a very valid.

:higgins:
"Don't hand me that wretched understatement. I was bloody marvelous."

Kate Sullivan
Lieutenant Commander

#63 Post by Kate Sullivan »

Pahonu wrote:
K Hale wrote:I think it's debatable that "the female demographic" was watching the show merely to see Selleck take off his shirt.
He was an enormous sex symbol at the time. He was all over magazines and on talk shows. I use "take his shirt off" to mean see a very attractive guy. This is anecdotal for sure, but I remember my mom, aunt, and a neighbor woman talking about how attractive Selleck was when the show debuted. I think they called him "hot". I was 9 years old and found this weird and maybe even a bit creepy. LOL! As I think about it now, my mom was the first to watch it but eventually shifted over to the juggernaut that was The Cosby Show and it was my dad and I that watched it regularly until it ended.

The article I was referring to definitely described a diminishing female viewership after the first couple of seasons. I believe the producers attributed it to the lack of recurring female characters and made the changes. I'm not certain that was why the female audience was dropping, but that is what the article explained. I might also add that there are far more men on this forum than women, for what its worth. My wife, who was raised by a single working mother, had never even seen the show in her house growing up. She watched The Cosby Show though.

I think that has more to do with the casual sexism on the forum, rather than the show itself.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by K Hale »

Pahonu wrote:
He was an enormous sex symbol at the time. He was all over magazines and on talk shows. I use "take his shirt off" to mean see a very attractive guy. This is anecdotal for sure, but I remember my mom, aunt, and a neighbor woman talking about how attractive Selleck was when the show debuted. I think they called him "hot".
He was hot. He still is attractive. He's a very handsome man. But what I object to is that "the female demographic" watched the show merely to see him without a shirt. Are there women who did? Sure. Are they the entirety of female viewers? No.
The article I was referring to definitely described a diminishing female viewership after the first couple of seasons.
Did he stop taking off his shirt?
I believe the producers attributed it to the lack of recurring female characters and made the changes. I'm not certain that was why the female audience was dropping, but that is what the article explained. I might also add that there are far more men on this forum than women, for what its worth. My wife, who was raised by a single working mother, had never even seen the show in her house growing up. She watched The Cosby Show though.
That's an interesting anecdote but my mother and I loved the show. We (and Dad) watched it all the time when I was growing up. The Cosby Show was never on in our house.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

LZeitgeist
Vice Admiral

#65 Post by LZeitgeist »

K Hale wrote:Although I admit the only thing I've watched is 30 seconds of the Pizza Hut commercial, which was already too much for me.
And THAT is all I need to know in order to choose to ignore any and all opinions you may have now or in the future regarding the rebooted series.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by K Hale »

LZeitgeist wrote:
K Hale wrote:Although I admit the only thing I've watched is 30 seconds of the Pizza Hut commercial, which was already too much for me.
And THAT is all I need to know in order to choose to ignore any and all opinions you may have now or in the future regarding the rebooted series.
Doesn’t matter. I’m not here to seek your approval or to convince you of anything. You’re some random guy on the Internet; none of your opinions mean jack taco to me either. Good to see we understand each other.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#67 Post by ConchRepublican »

Bondtoys.de wrote:Sorry if I have offended you. That was not intended and I haven't insinuated anything.
The remark was just done because I see (not from you) a lot of very emotional comments here over the fact, that Higgins is a woman (Shiggins).

Also keep in mind that I am not a native speaker. And I think, from the rest of my post, it is clear, that I wanted a civil discussion with you and was not out to offend you or anyone else.

Sad that we can't discuss this in a civil manner - problably was expecting too much.
Amian wrote:If you keep reading past the part that triggered you, there are some things in the post worth considering. I think Bondtoys is asking in good faith.
Bondtoys and I have spoke on the side and explained ourselves.

Amian - regarding your triggered comment, dial it back. As I told Bond, to put in the context of the show it's like Thomas said to Higgins, it's fine to attack me for my silly things but don't attack my character. I don't take many things seriously, but I do take the man I am seriously. Reading "I was just mentioning Maggie because Magnum was being chauffeured by a woman (just incase that this would be inacceptable for you)." That comment I bolded to me insinuated I have a problem with women, which I take as insulting. I take Bond at his word that wasn't his intention and perhaps the language difference played a role in the wording.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#68 Post by ConchRepublican »

K Hale wrote:If you ask me -- and nobody did -- here's what they should have done if they wanted to make another Magnum show for the modern era. Make it a sequel, not a reboot.

1. Make it about Lily. She's come back to Hawaii and is struggling to fill her father's shoes as a private investigator. This way, Selleck can do cameos since he would be playing Magnum.
2. Use Perdita Weeks (since y'all tell me she's the only one who can act) as Juliet Higgins, but make her a relative of Higgins, perhaps a niece. She's inherited the estate from Robin/Higgins/however you want to arrange it. Higgins would not be in the show but would be present in the dialogue/script.
3. For extra points, make one of them (but only one) gay.
4. Cast two guys in supporting roles, but do not call them Rick and TC.
5. Make one of the guys Hawaiian (PLEASE!)
6. Make one of the guys 10-15 years older than the other three characters. This could be the Hawaiian guy or the other one.

I would watch the hell out of this show. The reboot mess? Forget it.
Exactly.

1. Make it about Lily. She's come back to Hawaii and is struggling to fill her father's shoes as a private investigator. This way, Selleck can do cameos since he would be playing Magnum.

And that was laid out on these boards in a few different ways, ways in which they could have tied things together to keep everyone somewhat happy. Sure, Eva Longoria didn't get it when she wanted to make Lily a "kick ass action hero" or somesuch, but . . .

2. Use Perdita Weeks (since y'all tell me she's the only one who can act) as Juliet Higgins, but make her a relative of Higgins, perhaps a niece. She's inherited the estate from Robin/Higgins/however you want to arrange it. Higgins would not be in the show but would be present in the dialogue/script.

Absolutely. Also make it a mother/daughter situation similar to Thomas/Higgins since Michelle died when she was young and Thomas raised her far from family while he did the best he could, there's a missing thing there.

Seems a bit pandery to me like "hey we need a (fill in the minority/under represented demographic) to even things out" but whatever. Just write good, interesting characters

4. Cast two guys in supporting roles, but do not call them Rick and TC.

T.C.'s son and daughter fit this bill perfectly.

5. Make one of the guys Hawaiian (PLEASE!)

Bring in a kid of Keoki or Kenji

6. Make one of the guys 10-15 years older than the other three characters. This could be the Hawaiian guy or the other one.

Maybe do something with Kenji himself, read Doc's side stories. Pretty cool view of the show from a different angle.
K Hale wrote:
giant_albatross wrote:The original Magnum had lots of gratuitous violence, car crashes, and sex.
Not at all.

The only gratuitous violence I can recall is that guy throwing "Legs" off the lighthouse. All other violence in the show was necessary to the plot. Nor was the violence always all that violent — sometimes someone would be shot and killed but there’d be no blood! :roll:

There were some car crashes, but very few over 162 episodes.

I recall two sex scenes, one in Memories are Forever and one in Echoes of the Mind. Both were discreet and carefully placed in the context of romantic love. Unless you count sex as Magnum taking his shirt off or a girl in a bikini appearing?
Agreed, it was the anti-A-Team if anything.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by Chris109 »

ConchRepublican wrote:

Seems a bit pandery to me like "hey we need a (fill in the minority/under represented demographic) to even things out" but whatever. Just write good, interesting characters
How exactly would that be promoted? Have him make out with another guy. Have him wake up next to his friend? Make him the flamboyant RuPaul type?

Pahonu

#70 Post by Pahonu »

K Hale wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
He was an enormous sex symbol at the time. He was all over magazines and on talk shows. I use "take his shirt off" to mean see a very attractive guy. This is anecdotal for sure, but I remember my mom, aunt, and a neighbor woman talking about how attractive Selleck was when the show debuted. I think they called him "hot".
He was hot. He still is attractive. He's a very handsome man. But what I object to is that "the female demographic" watched the show merely to see him without a shirt. Are there women who did? Sure. Are they the entirety of female viewers? No.
The article I was referring to definitely described a diminishing female viewership after the first couple of seasons.
Did he stop taking off his shirt?
I believe the producers attributed it to the lack of recurring female characters and made the changes. I'm not certain that was why the female audience was dropping, but that is what the article explained. I might also add that there are far more men on this forum than women, for what its worth. My wife, who was raised by a single working mother, had never even seen the show in her house growing up. She watched The Cosby Show though.
That's an interesting anecdote but my mother and I loved the show. We (and Dad) watched it all the time when I was growing up. The Cosby Show was never on in our house.
Hey K Hale,

I don't think the producers assumed all women viewers were watching the show for that reason. I personally don't think that makes sense either. It's overly simplistic. What they definitely were seeing was a decline in female viewers. They tried to appeal to other women by adding female recurring characters. Those female viewers that watched for other reasons likely didn't leave, such as you and your mom. The assumption the producers seemed to be making was that the drop in female viewers likely was from those women who initially watched to see Selleck the sex symbol, rather than those who watched for other reasons.

Pahonu

#71 Post by Pahonu »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Bondtoys.de wrote:Sorry if I have offended you. That was not intended and I haven't insinuated anything.
The remark was just done because I see (not from you) a lot of very emotional comments here over the fact, that Higgins is a woman (Shiggins).

Also keep in mind that I am not a native speaker. And I think, from the rest of my post, it is clear, that I wanted a civil discussion with you and was not out to offend you or anyone else.

Sad that we can't discuss this in a civil manner - problably was expecting too much.
Amian wrote:If you keep reading past the part that triggered you, there are some things in the post worth considering. I think Bondtoys is asking in good faith.
Bondtoys and I have spoke on the side and explained ourselves.

Amian - regarding your triggered comment, dial it back. As I told Bond, to put in the context of the show it's like Thomas said to Higgins, it's fine to attack me for my silly things but don't attack my character. I don't take many things seriously, but I do take the man I am seriously. Reading "I was just mentioning Maggie because Magnum was being chauffeured by a woman (just incase that this would be inacceptable for you)." That comment I bolded to me insinuated I have a problem with women, which I take as insulting. I take Bond at his word that wasn't his intention and perhaps the language difference played a role in the wording.
Hey Conch,

I honestly believe this was miscommunication. I think Bondtoys was referring to the comments from many on the forum who didn't like that Higgins was going to be a woman. I don't recall if you made such a comment or not, and it doesn't matter anyway. I think he was unsure if you liked the idea. That's all I think he meant. Certainly, no one likes an attack on their character and would respond if they felt such an attack.

Just my two cents. Chuck it if you want. :D

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by K Hale »

Chris109 wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:

How exactly would that be promoted? Have him make out with another guy. Have him wake up next to his friend? Make him the flamboyant RuPaul type?
No.

Also, it’s not one of the men.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by Chris109 »

K Hale wrote:
Chris109 wrote:
No.

Also, it’s not one of the men.
Cool.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

ConchRepublican wrote: Agreed, it was the anti-A-Team if anything.
Not that there's anything wrong with THE A-TEAM. :D Great show! Still watch it today. It holds up better than any other silly show of its ilk from that decade. It wasn't so much about the cartoon violence or the car flips (which I still think are pretty cool!) but the chemistry between the 4 leads (just like MPI) - those 4 just clicked! Murdock and B.A. in particular never fail to crack me up!

Amian
Admiral

#75 Post by Amian »

ConchRepublican wrote:Bondtoys and I have spoke on the side and explained ourselves.

Hi ConchRepublican, considered it dialed back to zero. I'm glad I misread the situation and you were able to have a substantive conversation with Bondtoys about the rest of his post. I truly don't think he was trying to question your integrity as a man.