It seems Peter Lenkov can't take the heat

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

Re: It seems Peter Lenkov can't take the heat

#31 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

NotthatRick wrote: I have been lurking here for quite a long time and have read and enjoyed many of your posts over the years. As far as Lenkov is concerned though, we will just have to agree to disagree.

Thank you and cheers!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#32 Post by ConchRepublican »

Bondtoys.de wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:
https://twitter.com/MagnumPICBS/status/ ... 64160?s=19

I guess the reminder of his inferior product was too much for his weak psyche.

@Conch:

Serious question: By posting the "old" surfski sequence underneath the new one, what exactly do you want to say/achieve by doing that?

a) Are you criticizing that he's copying too many of the old elements?
b) Would you be happier, if he would not post any references to the old series anymore?
c) what exactly is your message by posting this?
d) Do you think that the old series can be really improved and how would that be?

- What exactly do you want Lenkow to do better in regards to the new series?

- As you say that the reboot is inferior to the old series, what exactly would you suggest to be changed so that you are happy?
Serious question: By posting the "old" surfski sequence underneath the new one, what exactly do you want to say/achieve by doing that?
Serious answer - a reminder to him there is only ONE Magnum, P.I. and how good the REAL series is.

I stopped watching the reboot 4 minutes into the 2nd episode after swearing I wouldn't watch it again after that disaster of a pilot, where they couldn't even get "Magnum" putting on the team ring correctly. Having "Higgins" be "Magnum"'s chauffeur sealed the ridiculousness of this new take.

What exactly do you want Lenkow to do better in regards to the new series?
As you say that the reboot is inferior to the old series, what exactly would you suggest to be changed so that you are happy?

Halt production immediately and beg forgiveness for his sins.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

ConchRepublican

#33 Post by ConchRepublican »

NotthatRick wrote:Don't fool yourselves. Lenkov is not a fan. He uses the names of older quality television programs and puts out an inferior product directed at millennials. He is in it for the mega-bucks.
I agree. I think maybe he THINKS he's a fan, but if he is, it's superficial in a way that people think the show was about short shorts and car chases.
CoziTV Superfan spot

ConchRepublican

#34 Post by ConchRepublican »

giant_albatross wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:He blocked me on Twitter.

Bear in mind, I never attacked him personally, I did respond to many of his tweets with gifs from this site however.

Guess he's a little sensitive.
Aren't you the ultimate Magnum fan? That's sacrilege. :lol:

youtu.be/c2sBCgGa9QE
CoziTV Superfan spot

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

ConchRepublican wrote: Serious answer - a reminder to him there is only ONE Magnum, P.I. and how good the REAL series is.

I stopped watching the reboot 4 minutes into the 2nd episode after swearing I wouldn't watch it again after that disaster of a pilot, where they couldn't even get "Magnum" putting on the team ring correctly. Having "Higgins" be "Magnum"'s chauffeur sealed the ridiculousness of this new take.

As you say that the reboot is inferior to the old series, what exactly would you suggest to be changed so that you are happy?

Thanks for replying.

So consequently, after TC and Maggie Poole where Magnum's chauffeurs in "Have you seen the sunrise", you have stopped watching the original series?

And it would be a great challenge to find episodes of the old series, where one of the 3 guys is wearing his teamring upside down. I am sure that it exists.

To sum is up, I find it astonishing the amount of hate after ONE episode, which has been the pilot episode, after which the reboot has been significantly adjusted in terms of ott action sequences and other elements.

And, you want by all means CBS terminating the reboot immediately and you are surprised that Lenkow is immediately terminating your followship of him on Twitter?
Imagine someone following you on facebook and constantly ranting about how rubbish Flamingo Key is (with sometimes more or less smart images and statements) after every single comment, what would you do with that person?

ConchRepublican

#36 Post by ConchRepublican »

Bondtoys.de wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote: Serious answer - a reminder to him there is only ONE Magnum, P.I. and how good the REAL series is.

Thanks for replying.

So consequently, after TC and Maggie Poole where Magnum's chauffeurs in "Have you seen the sunrise", you have stopped watching the original series?

And it would be a great challenge to find episodes of the old series, where one of the 3 guys is wearing his teamring upside down. I am sure that it exists.

To sum is up, I find it astonishing the amount of hate after ONE episode, which has been the pilot episode, after which the reboot has been significantly adjusted in terms of ott action sequences and other elements.

And, you want by all means CBS terminating the reboot immediately and you are surprised that Lenkow is immediately terminating your followship of him on Twitter?
Imagine someone following you on facebook and constantly ranting about how rubbish Flamingo Key is (with sometimes more or less smart images and statements) after every single comment, what would you do with that person?
C'mon, are you really comparing Maggie to Higgins?

That scene, right there, shows Lenkov has no understanding of the dynamic that was the Magnum/Higgins which fueled the series. Which means it's NOT Magnum, P.I.

As for being blocked, sure, I trolled him a bit, but no worse than Hernandez (who's an abject moron), the writers and CBS official Magnum feed. And, aside from sharing some negative reviews at the outset (find positive ones) they were GIFs from the REAL series. It's social media, and he's a public figure promoting his product. Not everyone is going to love it.
CoziTV Superfan spot

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

I was just mentioning Maggie because Magnum was being chauffeured by a woman (just incase that this would be inacceptable for you).

I agree, the old series has been energized by the Higgins-Magnum relationship. But if you isolate season 1, you may agree, that they haven't found the right formula in season 1 and that relationship became more and more energizing and important over time and in the later seasons.
In my opinion, Hillerman was the main driver of that energy and unfortunately, we won't get him back.

The relationship in the reboot is very much different (mainly because Higgins is now a woman and 3 decades younger) and I personally wish that she would be a bit less supportive and not always on his missions, but it is what it is and that relationship is still one of the main drivers also in the reboot.

You may agree that the magic of the relationship (and the series) is partly because of the fact that we have seen it progressing over 8 years and we have been seeing it growing for over 35 years now. This can‘t be replicated in one episode, not even in one year!

You can't see this from the pilot alone and I totally agree that they haven't gotten "it" perfectly for now. But I am confident, that this will develop for the better.

That said, I am not overly joyed by Hernandez but it is what it is and there are so many respectful nods to the original series in almost every episode - we still have a (different) Magnum-Higgins relationship, the friendship to Rick and TC, we have Hawaii with beautiful locationshots, the Ferrari, the helicopter, some action, some jokes and bottom line:

- They could have been making it far worse by just producing a generic detective series or copying the old series verbatim which would have been a disaster no matter what because you can't really replace Selleck and Hillerman.

But the reboot is not as bad as the hate that it gets here on the forum and I am sure that we'll see a lot of haters changing their minds over time. Additionally the reboot certainly adds new users and far more traffic to MM and people get interested also for the old series, which is not a bad thing.

ConchRepublican

#38 Post by ConchRepublican »

Bondtoys.de wrote:I was just mentioning Maggie because Magnum was being chauffeured by a woman (just incase that this would be inacceptable for you).
OK, I stopped right here. I don't appreciate your insinuation.

My position is that HIGGINS THE CHARACTER would NEVER chauffeur Magnum anywhere. ESPECIALLY early in their relationship, even moreso after he just destroyed a showroom's worth of high value vehicles.

Your insinuation about my perceived mysogyny is shallow and insulting and says more about your mindset, not to mention your understanding of the depth of the show, than anything you think you know about me.
CoziTV Superfan spot

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Sorry if I have offended you. That was not intended and I haven't insinuated anything.
The remark was just done because I see (not from you) a lot of very emotional comments here over the fact, that Higgins is a woman (Shiggins).

Also keep in mind that I am not a native speaker. And I think, from the rest of my post, it is clear, that I wanted a civil discussion with you and was not out to offend you or anyone else.

Sad that we can't discuss this in a civil manner - problably was expecting too much.

Amian
Admiral

#40 Post by Amian »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Bondtoys.de wrote:I was just mentioning Maggie because Magnum was being chauffeured by a woman (just incase that this would be inacceptable for you).
OK, I stopped right here. I don't appreciate your insinuation.
If you keep reading past the part that triggered you, there are some things in the post worth considering. I think Bondtoys is asking in good faith.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Bondtoys.de wrote:Sorry if I have offended you. That was not intended and I haven't insinuated anything.
The remark was just done because I see (not from you) a lot of very emotional comments here over the fact, that Higgins is a woman (Shiggins).
But that is a HUGE reason to get emotional. We don't need a Shiggins. We need a Higgins. Higgins is supposed to be an older British guy, not a butt-kicking chick. You mentioned earlier that the new show is not trying to be PC and that the old show was PC too. No clue what you mean by that. The old show had 4 dudes and that was fine. But in the new one you can't have 4 dudes anymore. Gotta throw in a chick into the mix, otherwise it's a sexist show, hence why it's PC. And of course Magnum is played by a Hispanic actor. Non-PC you say? Seriously??? They did the same with the new Five-0 - why was Kono not a guy like on the old show??? Again, because 4 guys working together on a team without a girl in the mix is politically incorrect. So they throw in a scrawny chick into the mix who can kick butt with the best of them and take down 2 or 3 guys twice her size! So yes people do take issue with crap like that.

I'm against all remakes period. Create original shows and don't bother with remakes. But if you're going to do a remake you better do it right and be faithful to the original show and the original characters. Changing sexes and races is NOT an option!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#42 Post by Pahonu »

I guess I'm just not as emotional of a person as many here on the forum seem to be. I don't really understand the intense feelings that people are having about the reboot. I'm a big fan of the show and have been a part of this forum for almost a decade. I watched the show from it's beginning and still enjoy it immensely. While I'm not a fan of the reboot, having given it a few episodes before losing interest, I don't see how trying to make another version in any way is an insult to the quality of the original. Nothing can change that. The original is still great... and the reboot isn't. I'm sorry, but people calling it blasphemous or disrespectful, and then writing some pretty harsh personal comments about it's actors and creators, are overreacting just a bit, I think.

I might also add, I recall reading that in the original version, the creators looked to add some female roles to the show because the female demographic watching it just to see Selleck without his shirt was dropping after the first couple of seasons. They specifically developed the Carol Baldwin and Maggie Poole characters for this reason. I believe it was a TV Guide article from the 80's during its run where I read it. Having female characters isn't just about being PC, it brings in viewers, which if we're honest, is the whole point. Networks or cable channels won't keeps making TV shows that no one is watching. It's economics. That's why I wasn't surprised when it was renewed. Some members seemed shocked, but apparently they have high enough ratings to justify another season. I don't think the reboot is particularly good, but enough people seem to, and that's the bottom line.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Stelth »

giant_albatross
Lieutenant Commander

#44 Post by giant_albatross »

Chris109 wrote:...Millennials don't want storylines. They want blood and guts and lots of crashes and sex. And has to be PC...
The original Magnum had lots of gratuitous violence, car crashes, and sex. I don't believe that Millennials demand shows to be "PC." That's ALL that's ever offered to them. If you look at the per capita viewership of pretty much anything these days, its below what it was 30 or 40 years ago. The argument is always that its because there are "so many options these days." Perhaps. But perhaps its also because of too much "PC-ness" (by that, yes, I mean constant portrayal of "non-traditional gender roles," excessively overrepresenting certain demographics [NOBODY has a problem with "diverse" demographics, its the in-your-face obvious over-representation that leaps out at the viewer I'm talking about], etc. How do we know that's really what Millennials want when that's all that's offered these days? Magnum had plenty of proto-"PC" elements for its time, but it was at a reasonable level. All programs today go to extremes about it.

giant_albatross
Lieutenant Commander

#45 Post by giant_albatross »

Pahonu wrote:...I might also add, I recall reading that in the original version, the creators looked to add some female roles to the show because the female demographic watching it just to see Selleck without his shirt was dropping after the first couple of seasons. They specifically developed the Carol Baldwin and Maggie Poole characters for this reason. I believe it was a TV Guide article from the 80's during its run where I read it. Having female characters isn't just about being PC, it brings in viewers, which if we're honest, is the whole point. ...
That's debatable, at best.