It seems Peter Lenkov can't take the heat

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: It seems Peter Lenkov can't take the heat

#16 Post by marlboro »

That's what I find interesting, I rarely was negative. Early on, when posting bad reviews I'd refer to MiniMag or Fakenum, PC but for months now there have just been GIFs of our Thomas or Higgins in response to the reboot.
I'm sure the show sucks, and the dude is probably a hack, but you really can't blame him for blocking you, can you? He's human. You wouldn't want someone coming here and dumping on MM every day, would you? Of course not. If he really is doing his best, he's got a right to feel insulted. If it's just business to him, well, you don't want people crapping on your product in the same forum where you're trying to promote it, right?

I think you guys are letting a shitty tv show get to you. Just sit back, grab a Coops, and enjoy a classic Magnum episode.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Chris109 »

marlboro wrote:I think you guys are letting a shitty tv show get to you. Just sit back, grab a Coops, and enjoy a classic Magnum episode.
Can't. They don't sell Coops around here. Only Old Dusseldorf; in a can.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

marlboro wrote:
I'm sure the show sucks, and the dude is probably a hack, but you really can't blame him for blocking you, can you? He's human. You wouldn't want someone coming here and dumping on MM every day, would you? Of course not. If he really is doing his best, he's got a right to feel insulted. If it's just business to him, well, you don't want people crapping on your product in the same forum where you're trying to promote it, right?

I think you guys are letting a shitty tv show get to you. Just sit back, grab a Coops, and enjoy a classic Magnum episode.
Totally agree but the shitty tv show part.

I was totally uninterested in seeing the new series from the negativity here, but then did.

I think, that Lenkow did a good job balancing the need for modern elements and mixing them with his love for the old series.
I doubt that it could have been done better and at the same time make some money for CBS

He deserves our respect and not constant reminders that people want Selleck back. Not gonna happen, deal with it.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

ConchRepublican wrote:
https://twitter.com/MagnumPICBS/status/ ... 64160?s=19

I guess the reminder of his inferior product was too much for his weak psyche.

@Conch:

Serious question: By posting the "old" surfski sequence underneath the new one, what exactly do you want to say/achieve by doing that?

a) Are you criticizing that he's copying too many of the old elements?
b) Would you be happier, if he would not post any references to the old series anymore?
c) what exactly is your message by posting this?
d) Do you think that the old series can be really improved and how would that be?

- What exactly do you want Lenkow to do better in regards to the new series?

- As you say that the reboot is inferior to the old series, what exactly would you suggest to be changed so that you are happy?

sandbiscuits
Captain

#20 Post by sandbiscuits »

Bondtoys.de wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:

@Conch:

Serious question: By posting the "old" surfski sequence underneath the new one, what exactly do you want to say/achieve by doing that?

b) Would you be happier, if he would not post any references to the old series anymore?
d) Do you think that the old series can be really improved and how would that be?

- As you say that the reboot is inferior to the old series, what exactly would you suggest to be changed so that you are happy?
I also agree with Marlboro's take (minus the part about the show being shitty). Put yourself in the shoes of Lenkov or anyone else who is part of the reboot. They don't hate the original and I think they are doing their best.

As to your last question about what could be done to make the reboot haters happy, I think there is no answer. The vitriol began when the reboot was announced. For many, there is no possible way to make it satisfactory. Your a) and b) questions for Conch get at this... if you make it too close to the original, it can't measure up, but if the new Magnum calls himself a "detective," the reboot isn't faithful enough. There is probably nothing the reboot can do to appease those who are predisposed to hating it.

I'd be curious to hear others, not just Conch, weigh in on this. What, outside of cancellation, would have to happen to make a reboot-hater happy? As we know, there is going to be a second season, so let's pretend you can take over the reins. What would you do?

I am actually enjoying the reboot, but if I could change something, it would be to tone down the action (automatic weapon shootouts every other week... um, okay) and work on some down to earth storylines. I'd also like to see Higgins's life on Hawaii explored -- could be some storylines there!

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Chris109 »

sandbiscuits wrote:
Bondtoys.de wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:

@Conch:

I also agree with Marlboro's take (minus the part about the show being shitty). Put yourself in the shoes of Lenkov or anyone else who is part of the reboot. They don't hate the original and I think they are doing their best.

As to your last question about what could be done to make the reboot haters happy, I think there is no answer. The vitriol began when the reboot was announced. For many, there is no possible way to make it satisfactory. Your a) and b) questions for Conch get at this... if you make it too close to the original, it can't measure up, but if the new Magnum calls himself a "detective," the reboot isn't faithful enough. There is probably nothing the reboot can do to appease those who are predisposed to hating it.

I'd be curious to hear others, not just Conch, weigh in on this. What, outside of cancellation, would have to happen to make a reboot-hater happy? As we know, there is going to be a second season, so let's pretend you can take over the reins. What would you do?

I am actually enjoying the reboot, but if I could change something, it would be to tone down the action (automatic weapon shootouts every other week... um, okay) and work on some down to earth storylines. I'd also like to see Higgins's life on Hawaii explored -- could be some storylines there!
Millennials don't want storylines. They want blood and guts and lots of crashes and sex. And has to be PC. And that's who this series is geared toward. If one is over, probably 55, networks don't care about you.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

I am surprised that you haven‘t noticed: There are some great storylines in the reboot series.

And back in 1980, the series has targetted the same age group like today, but we all got 35 years older and nobody finances a tv series for that target group. We have to deal with that.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

What, outside of cancellation, would have to happen to make a reboot-hater happy?
Nothing. The whole thing is just a cash grab disguised as political correctness.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

can you please elaborate on the pc-ness?

I find the old series pretty pc, not sure where in the reboot I find more pc- ness

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Laohu »

Canceling is not a option ! We waited to long to get Magnum back . If I could make any suggestions to to powers the powers that be to make changes
1 ) Stop the big gun fight scenes there to big and over done
2) keep Higgins on the estate more .
3) use Kumu to bring in a little more Hawaii to the show . After all Hawaii is like a character on the show and Kumu is the only new character in the show and I kind of see her as representing Hawaii .
4 ) I would have Robin masters give Magnum a case , this case would be something we might see part off from time to time running for a season or two . He would not share what it was with Higgins or anyone else but Higgins would become aware that he was working on something for Robin and want in on helping . Maybe at the end of it we could have the big reveal of Robin Masters . Getting Tom Selleck to play Robin would be great but I don’t think he would do it . Getting Roger Mosley or Larry Manetti to play him might be fun and easier to get them to do .

Well that’s my two cents for what it is worth .

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by perfectlykevin »

I trust that Lenkov was a fan of the original series and also wants to put his own spin on it. The guy has 3 series that I know of that he is on (MPI, Mac, and H50) so I imagine much gets farmed out to writers etc, many who probably only saw a few shows. I think they should spend some time re watching the original and take notes. And also take care of fans of the original show. Wouldn't hurt for them to reach out and find out what made the old show so special. I know for many here it wasn't bikinis, Ferraris and chase scenes.

ok, the bikinis helped 8)

NotthatRick
Admiral

#27 Post by NotthatRick »

Don't fool yourselves. Lenkov is not a fan. He uses the names of older quality television programs and puts out an inferior product directed at millennials. He is in it for the mega-bucks.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

In my opinion, Lenkow MUST be a fan*

The reboot is full with little nods to the old series, to the old actors and storylines that can only be identified by fans of the old series. They are totally unnecessary for millenials and don‘t raise any extra money.

Imo the reboot is not perfect but a lovechild and not only a product or moneymaker.

I totally agree that automatic weapons should be used less and that Juliet Higgins should stay at the estate more. And I hope that they show more sides of Kumu.

* lets just remember his twitter post about his Rolex, which he bought because he saw it on MPi. Btw I did the same back in 1984.

NotthatRick
Admiral

#29 Post by NotthatRick »

Bondtoys.de wrote:In my opinion, Lenkow MUST be a fan*

The reboot is full with little nods to the old series, to the old actors and storylines that can only be identified by fans of the old series. They are totally unnecessary for millenials and don‘t raise any extra money.

Imo the reboot is not perfect but a lovechild and not only a product or moneymaker.

I totally agree that automatic weapons should be used less and that Juliet Higgins should stay at the estate more. And I hope that they show more sides of Kumu.

* lets just remember his twitter post about his Rolex, which he bought because he saw it on MPi. Btw I did the same back in 1984.
I do know that YOU are a very big fan. I have been lurking here for quite a long time and have read and enjoyed many of your posts over the years. As far as Lenkov is concerned though, we will just have to agree to disagree.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Laohu »

I did enjoy the Stalog 17 clip . It seems that each week they try to put something in for the fans of the old show . Looking forward to the next episode I for one will be watching .