Season 1 Episode 16: Murder is Never Quiet (1.16)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
20%
8.5 (Very Good)
10%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
10%
7.5 (Decent)
No votes
7.0 (Average at Best)
10%
6.5 (Not So Good)
10%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
10%
0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
30%

Total votes: 10

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 1 Episode 16: Murder is Never Quiet (1.16)

#1 Post by KENJI »

This one airs on Feb. 25th.
Last edited by KENJI on Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: Season 1 Episode 16: Murder is Never Quiet (1.16)

#2 Post by marlboro »

Well, here's a guy who's never murdered a mime.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Chris109 »

marlboro wrote:Well, here's a guy who's never murdered a mime.
Oh, I don't know.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by KENJI »

Here is the storyline on this episode............

Magnum is hired by a woman to prove that her son didn't kill his girlfriend and has only 24 hours before the accused accepts a plea deal; Rick and TC try to recover stolen appliances that were donated to a wounded veteran.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjNuVIzGJbU

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by KingKC »

The episodes are so predictable now there is really nothing new to comment on. It is its own show now.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Steve »

I actually loved this one.....The opening song; China Grove and the other songs used throughout the episode were great, Juliette kicked some major arse, NO automatic weapons fire although there was a high powered sniper rifle, I'm liking the Katsumoto/Magnum/Higgins dynamic and how can you not like episodes where Rick and TC are helping out Wounded Warriors..One critique, I noticed in two different driving shots you could see a security chase vehicle with lights on the top in the background behind the Ferrari obviously blocking traffic for the shots.SLOPPY!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

The writers are incapable of doing banter. The 1st four minutes of 'humor' in the courtroom fell flat. Then we have Magnum asking Higgins for help
as "two heads are better than one." Higgins replies "Or one and a half." Cue crickets.
Rick, TC and Sham are in the van, when Sham delivers this devastating bit of repartee: "Don't be an ass hat." Why Seinfeld, Mark Twain or
Johnny Carson at their best could never hope to match such heights of wit. My 5 year old nephew yes, he prefers to repeatedly say "pooh pooh pants".
Magnum producers, give him a shout, he works cheap, a new coloring book weekly and he's your new head writer.
We continue to have the use of the Magic Computer to produce needed clues at will and to advance the plot line instead of actual Private Investigating,
which would require actually writing a scene. Change the name of the series to Magnum, C.G.(Computer Guy) and be done with it, hire the nerds from the soon
canceled Big Bang Theory as the new supporting cast.
Then there is the de rigueur cartoon level fight between Magnum and the hit man. Far worse is the beyond inane battle between Higgins and the sniper. She
weighs in at maybe 100 pounds but beats hell out out of the sniper while wearing 4 inch heels! This Magic Martial Arts for Girls crap bears no relation to
objective reality, I'm afraid some woman out there will take karate for 6 months and think she can prevail in a street fight with a mugger and get really hurt
instead of just giving up her purse.
Near the end at the courthouse we got our weekly long shot of Juliette from the rear. If the ladies are allowed to ogle Selleck in his shorts,
we can appreciate Higgins form. Which sentence I can't imagine writing before the Magnum reboot.
The best scene of this series to date, and perfectly done by all, was the last scene with the guys presenting the legless Vet and his family
a new house. It was truly moving, and the beaming smile that Jay gave made one smile and feel warm as well. Kudos to all involved for this bit.
Not to take anything away from the actors in the scene, but I got a hunch from watching that CBS actually gave the Vet shown a house and
incorporated it into the show. It looked so real, the joy on Jay's face especially. All my disdain for Little Magnum melted away seeing him do that.
Rock on Jay.

Luther Adler to John Wayne: "You see Ralls, I'm not one of those eye-for-an-eye men. I always take two eyes."
Wake of the Red Witch(1949)

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by eagle »

Come on, guys. You gotta admit that there was one bright spot in this episode: The scene at the gas station where we had the black G-wagen and red Ferrari in the same frame. That was pretty awesome.

:geek:

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Laohu »

Also having a former Miss Hawaii Emma Wo on the show was a plus . Nice to see them hiring locals .

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by perfectlykevin »

This episode left me flat. The plot was predictable. Rick and TC don't have paying jobs that occupy any of their time, and I really hate how modern shows trundle out a veteran, ogle over them, and then make some trite statements. Comparing this last point to the original show. I felt the original made veterans more multidimensional and spoke to some of the troubles and successes that veterans of the time faced. Anymore (not not just this show) I feel shows give lip service because they know it is a soft point for an audience but they fail to show veterans as real, authentic people with struggles etc. In this I think MPI could do so much more.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

perfectlykevin wrote:This episode left me flat. The plot was predictable. Rick and TC don't have paying jobs that occupy any of their time, and I really hate how modern shows trundle out a veteran, ogle over them, and then make some trite statements. Comparing this last point to the original show. I felt the original made veterans more multidimensional and spoke to some of the troubles and successes that veterans of the time faced. Anymore (not not just this show) I feel shows give lip service because they know it is a soft point for an audience but they fail to show veterans as real, authentic people with struggles etc. In this I think MPI could do so much more.
Perfectlykevin,
Great post, you put your finger on something I hadn't quite sorted for myself. However some years back I did attend a service club's surprise donation of a
home to a disabled Vet - terrible burns - and the last scene in this episode rang true for me to an extent I thought it might be real, even if it was done to
promote the Magnum reboot it still was a good deed. I tried doing a Search to see if CBS had donated a home to a Vet in Hawaii but so far no dice. On
the other hand maybe they didn't do it for publicity and it was a private affair.
PS - The house donation had nothing to do with me, I was visiting a friend who was involved, I don't want to seem to be grabbing some sort of reflected credit.

"In fact,' Sam the Gonoph says, 'I long ago come to the conclusion that all life is six to five against." – Damon Runyon, 'A Nice Price'.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by perfectlykevin »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
perfectlykevin wrote:This episode left me flat. The plot was predictable. Rick and TC don't have paying jobs that occupy any of their time, and I really hate how modern shows trundle out a veteran, ogle over them, and then make some trite statements. Comparing this last point to the original show. I felt the original made veterans more multidimensional and spoke to some of the troubles and successes that veterans of the time faced. Anymore (not not just this show) I feel shows give lip service because they know it is a soft point for an audience but they fail to show veterans as real, authentic people with struggles etc. In this I think MPI could do so much more.
Perfectlykevin,
Great post, you put your finger on something I hadn't quite sorted for myself. However some years back I did attend a service club's surprise donation of a
home to a disabled Vet - terrible burns - and the last scene in this episode rang true for me to an extent I thought it might be real, even if it was done to
promote the Magnum reboot it still was a good deed. I tried doing a Search to see if CBS had donated a home to a Vet in Hawaii but so far no dice. On
the other hand maybe they didn't do it for publicity and it was a private affair.
PS - The house donation had nothing to do with me, I was visiting a friend who was involved, I don't want to seem to be grabbing some sort of reflected credit.

"In fact,' Sam the Gonoph says, 'I long ago come to the conclusion that all life is six to five against." – Damon Runyon, 'A Nice Price'.
For me, and I hear it all the time, it's the "thank you for your service" and "support out troops" trite phrases that are almost throw-aways. Most folks say these things but don't actually DO anything that supports out veterans. It's like "thank you for your service" is all that is needed, yet it is woefully inadequate. Get out and help with a project, donate money, books, etc send care packages, hell contact your congresspeople and demand better treatment for veterans.

Yeah, this episode had more than just the turn of phrase to alleviate guilt, it had an actually project, but it still felt empty, like they were using the veteran's cause to prop up the show. Yes, I could be wrong about this, and I think there are better ways to help. People who watch need to see the struggles average veterans face on a daily basis. We need to be confronted with the suicides that happen on a daily basis. the frustrating waits that happen to get medical care, or being denied help. A feel good story doesn't resonate with me when America does a lousy job truly honoring its veterans.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

perfectlykevin wrote:
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
Perfectlykevin,
For me, and I hear it all the time, it's the "thank you for your service" and "support out troops" trite phrases that are almost throw-aways. Most folks say these things but don't actually DO anything that supports out veterans. It's like "thank you for your service" is all that is needed, yet it is woefully inadequate. Get out and help with a project, donate money, books, etc send care packages, hell contact your congresspeople and demand better treatment for veterans.
Yeah, this episode had more than just the turn of phrase to alleviate guilt, it had an actually project, but it still felt empty, like they were using the veteran's cause to prop up the show. Yes, I could be wrong about this, and I think there are better ways to help. People who watch need to see the struggles average veterans face on a daily basis. We need to be confronted with the suicides that happen on a daily basis. the frustrating waits that happen to get medical care, or being denied help. A feel good story doesn't resonate with me when America does a lousy job truly honoring its veterans.
PerfectlyKevin,
You sound like my buddy Dave from the 82nd, who gets a disability pension. He understands most people say the "thank you for your service" bit out of good motives.
But Dave - admittedly hardcore and a tad bitter - feels that the speaker(ESPECIALLY a politician) is in effect saying
"Your service time is now validated by my recognition which costs nothing as opposed to your service.
And that by extension I am thus made a patriot who had your back while you were getting shot at, albeit from 5,000 miles away; but if it means any money out of my
pocket to help you mend your broken mind and body once home then fock you, parasite."
I asked my niece who works at the VA in Chicago if the politicians who come visit during election time came back afterwards and ask what they could do to
help. She laughed, said the more the visiting politician waves the flag the more the Vets and staff roll their eyes.

"Sit tight, live right and keep the lamp in the window"...Kookie (77 Sunset Strip)

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Chris109 »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: "Sit tight, live right and keep the lamp in the window"...Kookie (77 Sunset Strip)
"...and if we're not back by dawn, call the President"...Jack Burton

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by perfectlykevin »

I'd say your buddy has it right. It could be seen as a bitter attitude but it is a real one. And I agree with him. I'm not a veteran. My father served in Vietnam, and experienced quite a lot of the problems veterans faced when they came home. He rarely talks about it. Still it really bugs me that people who never served, want to wrap themselves in a flag, mumble a phrase and get to feel self-righteous. Don't get me started on top politicians who didn't bother going but use veterans to serve their own needs